ssbmw

Is this where the E24 M635csi’s are valued in NZ now?

This car is one of the 20 or so that were exported to NZ, new in the 80’s. From about the late 90’s to the late 00’s they were marketed as a $30-$35k car. This one appeared for sale in Queenstown around 15 years ago for $30k. 
The market exploded for these internationally a few years ago, but the market has tapered off somewhat.

Completely original, great condition, and in a rare colour. Worth $170k - in NZ???

IMG_0640.jpeg

Sadly nowhere near in our humble opinion. The market is certainly very flat for this kind of stuff in NZ now,  despite the hyperbole , its a global thing.........

However good cars are stilling quickly at realistic money. This car isn't in this category, it might make 80ish, (but not from us 😕 )the last M6 we are aware of sold for mid 60's. Nice car too, but silver.

Edited by Bandit
sp

I agree with you. Even the Australian market which for many years commanded premium prices (due to the fact they received only 2 new vehicles new out of the 524 made in rhd) has cooled off. For many years they found it compelling to import M635’s from NZ. That isn’t going to happen with these types of prices. 
Was that silver M6 the example In Auckland? Possibly my old car. 

" Tell 'em he's dreamin' "

About half the asking. Maybe.
The M635CSi is a lovely car. Great? Depends on your perspective.
I had a Dolphin Grey highline spec model in the UK - paid £3.5k. Did remedial and titivating work but got wind of how much the upcoming suspension and brake work was likely to cost, and got out early. Almost felt bad for selling it at a little over £5k, making about £200 profit on my ownership experience.

Big plans for a Dinan conversion, but no.

They're beautiful. Lovely to drive. (Don't, mess with the wheels - original works.) But like so many lovely things, cost good money to keep them lovely. And parking them in a garage doesn't work - they fail through no use.

Seems someone has seen this and has listed their ‘regular’ auto beige 635csi for $78k 🤔

Edited by Sammo
  • Haha 2

I've watched the M635 market for way too long and probably missed the boat.  The only 2 UK cars that have achieved this equivalent price in recent years were both very low mileage and "as new".  By low mileage I mean 15,000 miles.  Even then there is some suspicion in the UK M635 scene whether those UK prices were really genuine sales.  The U.S. market is very subdued and still good value, despite the smog spec and wheel on the wrong side.  Many of those cars now heading back to the EU.    From what I've seen all the NZ cars have been well used and are very high mileage. That's fine but does impact the "collectable value".  This car must have had a front seats refurb for that mileage.  What happened to the car that The Toy Shop had for sale last year - white one ?  was asking around $150k from memory.

I think you are referring to  the example in Cosmos or Cirrus blue. Toy shop purchased it off a guy called Coventry who purchased it off Turners car auctions in the early 00’s. It was a nice car but suffered from being a UK car- it was rusty. It got semi- restored with a new paint job and had the all important timing chain replaced. It had about 120,000 miles and never got driven much after - and was always available for sale at the right price. 
To be fair, these are now 37-38 years old. They have been driven. There are like 3 examples with less than 125,000 km’s on the clock ( NZ new). The rest have all done -160-240,000 kms. There is one in the WBOP that has done like 320,000 kms! 
Hard to get get a really fresh example - and the low k examples have not been available for sale for 25 years plus.

The M635csi’s were my first love- and selling my old example (number 312 /524) in Polaris silver was one of the saddest days in my life. 
I have a register of all the right hand cars made and am aware of most of the examples in NZ. If you want to track one one down, or need some info on a car in the future- please reach out! 

Edited by ssbmw
  • Like 1

cheers .... I should have grabbed Ross Jensen's white car when it was avail 15 years ago for $43k with 75000km on the clock.  It was a great test drive but I was distracted with other things at the time .... 

Haha! Great car! I had it offered twice and once @ $34k. Took it for a drive and the radiator blew. Took it as a bad omen! 

Seems in NZ E28, E24 and E23 aren't just as hot as E30's. I guess it's good for generic enthusiasts. In ther other hand I wondered without the infated price tag is the reason why ftermarket/remanufactured/custom parts support aren't as good as E30s.

Edited by Cannabis9478

20 hours ago, Cannabis9478 said:

Seems in NZ E28, E24 and E23 aren't just as hot as E30's. I guess it's good for generic enthusiasts. In ther other hand I wondered without the infated price tag is the reason why ftermarket/remanufactured/custom parts support aren't as good as E30s.

It was. 10 to 15 years ago when they were cheap. Hence things like the E30 race series was able to be run.

23 hours ago, Cannabis9478 said:

In ther other hand I wondered without the infated price tag is the reason why ftermarket/remanufactured/custom parts support aren't as good as E30s.

Much bigger market for those products with E30s due to the significantly higher production volumes. Easier to build a business case when there is greater sales potential.