elias

Broken/Damaged cheap m2

Anyone got an f87 m2 with mechanical issues or is in another other way damaged, hence cheap? Long shot I know but looking for a new project, not worried about kms, spec etc etc, just has to be an m2 and pref. not insurance write off.

Update: Will also consider e92 m3s, pref. lowish kms though.

Can offer swap for a modified 135i, or sell the 135 and do cash.

Cheers

Edited by elias

There seems to be a few F87 M2s come out of Aussie, as insurance write-offs - I know you said not one of those - but the Aussie ones seem to get written off very easily so the damage isn’t overly bad and can be fixed without too much trouble (if you know what you are doing or have a tame panel beater).

15 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There seems to be a few F87 M2s come out of Aussie, as insurance write-offs - I know you said not one of those - but the Aussie ones seem to get written off very easily so the damage isn’t overly bad and can be fixed without too much trouble (if you know what you are doing or have a tame panel beater).

yeah if they are in a state where it is viable to get them back on the road then I would definitely consider that, have got a good panelbeater. Any recommendations on where to look, best to keep an eye on trademe?

Cheers!

You will be fighting every BMW parts dealer in NZ unless they deem it too expensive.
Why do you want a damaged one?  To fit a lower budget?
Damaged imports are tagged as damaged and these days take a huge amount of effort to get them complied.  You are also liable for any issues for many years (7? I don't remember).

If you are after the parts cars I would look at Copart in the USA.  But the recent Youtubers rebuilding crashed cars thing has really changed the cost of everything over the last few years.  I did see a 2019 M2 go for $15K USD that was complete and still driving.  Moderate frontal damage.

• Like 1

yeah i get what you are saying, maybe being a bit optimistic. Not necessarily after a crashed one, but something with issues, for two reasons, because cheaper, and because i enjoy working on cars, want something that i can work on and build into my own, hence id rather start with something a little rough with potential issues, oil leaks etc etc than a mint one. My current project is pretty much complete (can take a look in the projects section), that one stated out as the cheapest 135i in nz with a fair few issues and is now, in my opinion one of the most unique in nz, but not much left for me to do.

I have repaired a crashed car in the past, it was crashed but uninsured, so didnt have any issues with write off etc, but had no structural damage, i repaired it and sold it for a profit (e46 330ci). I enjoyed that project a lot and it made sense as i was able to sell it for a profit.

In regards to finding an m2, ideally id like an n55 one with some mechanical issues, oil leaks, valvetronic issues or similar problems and obviously at a lower price. Yes i could save up more cash and buy a tidy one but why not use mechanical skills to my advantage to get a cheaper one. But the problem is they arent yet old enough that there are many broken ones around, unlike n54 cars which are all clapped out and cheap now.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:42 AM, elias said:

yeah if they are in a state where it is viable to get them back on the road then I would definitely consider that, have got a good panelbeater. Any recommendations on where to look, best to keep an eye on trademe?

Too late by the time it’s on TradeMe you will have too many others chasing it to get a bargain, and whoever brought it in would be looking to make a buck.

Best bet would be to look on the Aussie salvage auctions, some are “trade” only but you should be able to get in easily enough.

Quite a few cars seem to get written off for Not much damage over there which can be repaired here.

• Like 1

Isn't there a black LCI on TM for like $45k? Assume its got some kind of history - not seen cheaper than that...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Isn't there a black LCI on TM for like $45k? Assume its got some kind of history - not seen cheaper than that...

Oh f**king hell my wallet didn't need to know that!

Edit: It will be interesting to see how cheap M2's get, seeing as the 1M never really dipped below $70K did it?

The first thing you'd want to do is get a properly sorted suspension setup ala the Birds 130i package, as when I got to play with a brand new one in 2016 it lacked the compliance necessary for rapid cross country progress on NZ roads. 

Edited by Neil McCauley
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sammo said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m2/listing/4237427104

Needs more pics but at that price, it makes me wonder what I could get for my M3... a two decade upgrade for close to $0... hmm...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

Edit: It will be interesting to see how cheap M2's get, seeing as the 1M never really dipped below $70K did it?

Far fewer 1Ms built and it managed to get a cult status at the same time, both of which kept up the bottom of the price curve.

Lots more M2s built, pre-LCI, LCI, Competition and CS. And now a new generation in production. Great little cars but never going to have the same economics as the 1M.

As to how low they will go, always a great crystal ball gazing question, at this point in time my prediction would be there is still  fair way to go down, especially for those at the bottom of the desirability list.

11 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Far fewer 1Ms built and it managed to get a cult status at the same time, both of which kept up the bottom of the price curve.

Lots more M2s built, pre-LCI, LCI, Competition and CS. And now a new generation in production. Great little cars but never going to have the same economics as the 1M.

As to how low they will go, always a great crystal ball gazing question, at this point in time my prediction would be there is still  fair way to go down, especially for those at the bottom of the desirability list.

This is my hope too, really only after a n55 m2, preferably LCI, so definitely one o the less desirable ones compared to a comp, but might just wait another year till they come down to the low 40s more consistently and maybe find a cheap one for high 30s. Until then I guess ill keep my 135i unless something interesting comes up.

Edited by elias