Sign in to follow this  
2773MB

Sketchy dealer?

I visited a dealer today to test drive a 2021 320i with 10,250kms on it and was told I could not test drive it till I pay a 10% deposit as the car had so little kms on it… Held off on paying the deposit and got in to take a look and the car was showing a bunch of maintenance warnings (oil, service, brake fluid, etc…) so I left to decide if I was comfortable paying to test drive a car. 

Came back willing to pay the deposit, expecting it to be refundable as how can I pay for a car that I’ve never driven? I asked how long it would take to refund if I decide not to go ahead and was told only 50% of the deposit would be refunded (this means a loss of $2250) if I decide not to go ahead.

Naturally I refused to pay the deposit as I’m not willing to lose that much on the chance I’m not happy. The salesman then decided I could pay $4500 and be refunded $4000 if I don’t like the car…. All of it seemed dodgy so I said I was not budging. Keep in mind the test drive was only around the block, 1 or 2 kms. 

From there he continued trying to sell me and I heard him out but even more strange things started to come to light, I was told to trade in my car in I’d have to get a new wof done (mine expires in 3 months) which for the dealer to do would cost me $100-$200, he was not able to confirm the price. Forgetting how much a wof actually costs I didn’t fight this much but after checking AA & VTNZ I saw they are only $85… 

Another red flag, I asked if the connected drive & CarPlay etc would work in NZ as it is a Japanese import and was told no, but I could pay $800-$1000 and they would update the system to make it work. I then got in the car and was able to connect CarPlay within seconds. 

The point is, I really love the car but I don’t feel confident spending a cent on any vehicle without even test driving it, especially after all the above.

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am torn on where to go next and not sure if all of this is enough to justify walking away and forgetting about it. TIA. 

Mate walk, no run away as fast as possible. There will always be another one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treone said:

Mate walk, no run away as fast as possible. There will always be another one.

Totally agree, head for the hills. Don't make financial decisions with your heart, I don't know how to put it better than treone. Maybe put up a post asking for help in finding what you're after, the hive mind should be able to sort you out.

• Thanks 1

Sounds illegal to me, can't be bothered looking it up though.  

Find another dealer/car.

• Thanks 1

Slightly older, but Nz new and still under factory warranty for less money.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320i/listing/4622201110

and similar (alright, a bit smaller), newer and Nz new.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/218i/listing/4508971344

If the dealer you’re dealing with is that sh*t at this point, imagine how good the experience will be when something goes wrong.

Run away.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 2773MB said:

I visited a dealer today to test drive a 2021 320i with 10,250kms on it and was told I could not test drive it till I pay a 10% deposit as the car had so little kms on it… Held off on paying the deposit and got in to take a look and the car was showing a bunch of maintenance warnings (oil, service, brake fluid, etc…) so I left to decide if I was comfortable paying to test drive a car. 

Came back willing to pay the deposit, expecting it to be refundable as how can I pay for a car that I’ve never driven? I asked how long it would take to refund if I decide not to go ahead and was told only 50% of the deposit would be refunded (this means a loss of $2250) if I decide not to go ahead.

Naturally I refused to pay the deposit as I’m not willing to lose that much on the chance I’m not happy. The salesman then decided I could pay $4500 and be refunded $4000 if I don’t like the car…. All of it seemed dodgy so I said I was not budging. Keep in mind the test drive was only around the block, 1 or 2 kms. 

From there he continued trying to sell me and I heard him out but even more strange things started to come to light, I was told to trade in my car in I’d have to get a new wof done (mine expires in 3 months) which for the dealer to do would cost me $100-$200, he was not able to confirm the price. Forgetting how much a wof actually costs I didn’t fight this much but after checking AA & VTNZ I saw they are only $85… 

Another red flag, I asked if the connected drive & CarPlay etc would work in NZ as it is a Japanese import and was told no, but I could pay $800-$1000 and they would update the system to make it work. I then got in the car and was able to connect CarPlay within seconds. 

The point is, I really love the car but I don’t feel confident spending a cent on any vehicle without even test driving it, especially after all the above.

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am torn on where to go next and not sure if all of this is enough to justify walking away and forgetting about it. TIA. 

That dealer sails very close to the wind with selling practice. I looked at an i3 from them and they wanted to charge $1500 ORC. the nz new one above looks a better bet

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Slightly older, but Nz new and still under factory warranty for less money.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320i/listing/4622201110

and similar (alright, a bit smaller), newer and Nz new.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/218i/listing/4508971344

If the dealer you’re dealing with is that sh*t at this point, imagine how good the experience will be when something goes wrong.

Run away.

My thoughts exactly, especially being so hesitant to let me test drive yet messaging & calling me daily to see if I want to buy… if they are so desperate you’d think they’d do the bare minimum (test drive) to get me over the line. 

Appreciate the links!! My only issue with that sort of ties into the above with if something goes wrong there’s no CGA protection with a private seller I believe? Please correct me if I’m wrong!

4 hours ago, balancerider said:

That dealer sails very close to the wind with selling practice. I looked at an i3 from them and they wanted to charge $1500 ORC. the nz new one above looks a better bet

Even the $800 ORC they tried on me seemed steep, I told them I already own plates so don’t need them, would rather have first service done by BMW themselves so all they needed to do was a WOF; they still wanted the full ORC 🤔

edit: I’m not sure about the whole deal with ORC, if it’s legally required etc but I’m used to it not being a big deal, on my current car there was an issue with the wing mirror motor being broken so it wouldn’t fold and they waived ORC like it was nothing so I don’t feel like it would be all that hard for them to reduce it…

Edited by 2773MB
Added info

7 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Sounds illegal to me, can't be bothered looking it up though.  

Find another dealer/car.

That’s what I thought so did the research and apparently it is all legal (why it’s legal is another question). 

I feel like that’s a very large red flag pushing the law to its full extent to take the piss out of the customer! 

14 hours ago, Twistee said:

Totally agree, head for the hills. Don't make financial decisions with your heart, I don't know how to put it better than treone. Maybe put up a post asking for help in finding what you're after, the hive mind should be able to sort you out.

1000%, planning on test driving a 2021 128ti at the BMW in Hamilton sometime this week… I drive a 2012 116i base model at the moment so would have liked to move up to sedan but it’s still a good option to stick with what I’m familiar with, whilst getting all the extra features of a 2021. Also it’s NZ New!

16 minutes ago, 2773MB said:

My thoughts exactly, especially being so hesitant to let me test drive yet messaging & calling me daily to see if I want to buy… if they are so desperate you’d think they’d do the bare minimum (test drive) to get me over the line. 

Appreciate the links!! My only issue with that sort of ties into the above with if something goes wrong there’s no CGA protection with a private seller I believe? Please correct me if I’m wrong!

The car is still under factory warranty. 
Get a PPI done, ask if the warranty can be extended (I think that’s possible?), negotiate on the price. 
After that, how far wrong can you go?
It’s even the same colour I think?

56 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

The car is still under factory warranty. 
Get a PPI done, ask if the warranty can be extended (I think that’s possible?), negotiate on the price. 
After that, how far wrong can you go?
It’s even the same colour I think?

Yeah same exact colour, Portimao Blue. All very good points, thanks!