Sign in to follow this  
deedub

New to forum

Hey all.

David here. Recently purchased a 1987 E30 M325i (diamant-schwarz). It's been discussed on this forum at one point and was on trade me recently.

Used to drive an E30 318i (technically it was my fathers in the 90's and he eventually gave it to me as my first car). Loved E30's ever since. 

Getting cambelt etc replaced soon and exhaust is a bit loud for my taste so getting that sorted as well.

Overall it drives nice. The wheels have grown on me. But will prob replace them at some point. Happy with them for now so not in a rush there. Will gradually restore/lightly mod the car over time. 

Went through the Lachssilber 1989 E30 M325i thread. Tons of useful info there. And the ride looks slick. Nice decisions made there.

Also have a soft spot for the 6th generation Galant VR4. Was the second car I ever owned. 

Had to get my hands on one of these now cause the prices have been going up on them over recent years and I didn't wanna miss out on either one. 

Was a throw up between getting the E30 or a mint 1990 VR4.

Had to go with the BMW in the end. The E30 M325i is definitely my all time favourite car (VR4 second). 

Edited by deedub
  • Like 5

Nice purchase, I have the same car (delphin metallic).

Was the one you purchased with the m-tech 2 bumpers? 

Do you have any idea what route you are going to go with the exhaust, I have the same issue where its a bit drony and loud.

Cheers

@deedub pics of your car would be most welcome! 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2024 at 5:08 PM, Tobias01 said:

Nice purchase, I have the same car (delphin metallic).

Was the one you purchased with the m-tech 2 bumpers? 

Do you have any idea what route you are going to go with the exhaust, I have the same issue where its a bit drony and loud.

Cheers

Sorry for the late reply. I was locked out of my account. I think due to the host/server stuff going on at the moment (saw a recent thread around it).

Yea it's the one with the m-tech 2 bumpers.

I've decided to leave the exhaust as it passes WOF noise level (just). It's starting to grow on me but probably not what I want for long trips (like you it's pretty loud and drony).

Have you had any thoughts about what you'll do for the exhaust?

Edited by deedub

On 6/17/2024 at 1:09 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

@deedub pics of your car would be most welcome! 

Took these a week or so ago (average quality pics though 😁) after picking it up from getting service and cambelt/water pump replaced. It's so nice to drive. It's been years since I owned a manual. Going to take it out for a run to Taupo and back today.

IMG_20240610_153521.jpg

IMG_20240610_153310.jpg

IMG_20240610_153142.jpg

IMG_20240610_153049.jpg

Edited by deedub
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I went and had a look at that car when it was for sale. As I was taking it for a test drive I saw another M325i parked at a mechanic. After the test drive I went and had a look at the one I saw during the test drive and the owner happened to be collecting it as I was looking. Long story short, I ended up buying the one I saw while driving (now) your car. 

You planning on converting back to full mtech 1? 

Regarding exhaust, no I haven't got any idea what i'm going to do with it. Sorting other stuff first. Would like the original exhaust that the car came with but I believe they are near impossible to obtain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice. Yea plan is to go back to full m-tech 1 kit. I will go with the alpina wheels over the original weaves though.

One of the members on this forum (also has an m-tech 1) has been sending me links to m-tech 1 kits as he has been coming across them. Definitely want the full tech 1 kit.

Would rather prioritise other things first (like suspension) but if a good deal comes up for an m-tech 1 kit then I'll probably jump on that (seeing as how rare they are).

Edited by deedub

Think you would be able to pick up a all the bits you would need to convert back to mtech 1 from Weitz Industries in Hamilton, looks like he is selling off everything e30 including mtech 1 kit.

Nice, almost bought a set of genuine Alpinas for mine but had just done a full refurb of the original basket weaves i thought I had better not spend the money.

Fair enough, just about everything needs replacing being a 36 year old car. Would recommend replacing all fuel related components as one of the first things you do if you haven't already . Pretty quick and easy to replace pump, filter and rubber lines and doing the fuel regulator made mine run 100x better. 

Ive found the cheapest and quickest place to buy OE parts is www.schmiedmann.com. Far cheaper than buying out of the states and shipping is only a week or so.