Cammsport

Any garage/workshop build threads?

Hi all,

We're in the realms of looking to build a shed in the future. I've watched a plethora of YT videos on builds, but unfortunately they're usually from abroad.

Does anyone know of any "build" threads in this forum or another? Or willing to share their builds/experiences? Any YT channels that could scratch my itch?

Our ideal build would be a 3-car garage with generous room around the circumference to not ding doors etc. Bit of space for shelving and a work bench. Over-the-top lighting for paint correction and late nights. Would be great to have a self contained sleepout at the end too for family member to come stay and have their own space. Pictures of the pipedream attached.

1.thumb.PNG.ff9ef9234230a17084358feb495aec20.PNG

Capture.thumb.PNG.b93ebfefe19705774cfd89ff016582cd.PNG

2.PNG.4b791c8688df31a130efcfffea612bdd.PNG

3.PNG.616340526714892239f43c3c282e66fc.PNG

• Like 3

I think @Driftit was going through a shed build, not sure what stage they are up to now?

• Like 1

I'm looking into this.

First thing - the concrete will cost more than you think, and (wit prep) possibly as much as the rest of the build.

Second - no-one ever said "my shed is too big." (Actually not quite true, but the person I know who said that had $zillions and just bought a second set of tools to go at the 'other' end.)

Will you be using this throughout the year? If so, insulation (underfloor and elsewhere) is going to be important.

Are you living rurally? If so, you may be able to get this through as a rural building, with the slight relaxation in rules that goes with that.

There are many possible sources for a commercially supplied shed. Fieldays in Hamilton is just around the corner and there will be deals to be had there.

• Like 2

Hey yeah I built one at the end of covid. Will dig up some pics and plans. Mine was a 3 bay, high stud with bays wide enough to open car doors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my one. It is smaller than I wanted. But post covid prices were insane. I actually wanted another bay the same size. The far left bay is my workshop. Center is bike and car parking. Right has a four post hoist so I can park two cars. On the outside to one side will go a large carport. It's lined with 21mm ply and the floor is painted with aircraft hanger paint. 

Lots of things I would do differently.

Will probably install a 2 post hoist in the middle at some stage. And maybe a wash bay in front as I hate washing cars on gravel. 

I thought about a sleepout off the side. But you really need to fit it out really well for them not to be noisy and cold. 

The fit out is expensive if you are not able to do it yourself. Heating / Cooling, ventilation for the garage side. Sealing the gaps. Electrical, internet (they act like a big Faraday Cage). 

Oh. And Do Not get skylights that are not UV proof. Mine were meant to be and are not at all. They are terrible in the summer. If you get good lights you don't need stupid skylights. I hate them. 

Edit:  Play all the companies off against each other.  They are all starting to claw for business after being lazy for the last 4 years.  They all source their kits from the same places.

Screenshot_20240602_234143_Drive.jpg

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 3

Awesome advice @Driftit, this is the goss I'm after. 

We may not go with the sleep out on the side. Was just easier to get around council rules of the amount of dwellings/buildings on a section if they were to be separate. 

Make sure they put mesh in the concrete! (some didn't up here!)
Get recommendations from people about who they've used and check out the work.

My extra garage (6 x 7.2, plus roof extension etc) was over $50k (although that included extras, and concreting my barn floor too), and it's Brilliant (Skyline Whangarei). One of the competitors wanted an extra $5K for mesh(!), and another $5k to put a half-assed lean to between the garage and house, instead of extending the roofline, like I have now.

These guys integrated into the existing roofline perfectly, were super helpful and charged less. They actually made all the frames manually offsite after pouring the floor, so the roof is mm perfect. They were really into doing everything "right". Which was awesome.

It's not tall enough for a hoist or anything, but it does have 3 phase power (it was only about 5 metres of cable required).

20230614_164749.jpg

• Like 2

It is still doable.  But a shed takes a bit more work to get it up to a comfortable room you can use for sleeping.  I see you are in Otago.  Insulate the roof of your shed.  And seal all gaps.  Install a decent sized heat pump.

Nothing worse than your dream shed that you don't want to be in because it is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.  I have airgaps where my roller doors meet the roof.  This is normal.  But absolutely useless when it comes to keeping bugs out and heat/cool in.  I am in the process of finding a product to seal this up.

Have your PA door open outwards.  Mine is inwards and takes up precious space when open.

When wiring the place up use only 15A plugs.  They are not much more expensive.  And then you can install single phase hoists.

Good opportunity to install some automation.  E.g. I walk in and the motion sensor that is part of the alarm turns my lights on.  If there is no motion after a few hours it turns everything off.  Grarage doors can be connected to these systems too.  Meaning if you forgot to close it you can just hit a button on your phone.
The motion sensors also alert me to when I have locked the bloody cat in there too.  I run Home Assist on my server.  But other systems like Smartthings are very easy to setup.

Smoke and CO alarms should be installed.  You can get smart ones of these too.  That way you can be notified of smoke if you are not on site.

Edit:  Figure out where your hoists legs will be.  Have them make the concrete thicker in those areas.  Mine was another 75-100mm thicker where the legs of my hoist sits.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good points from Driftit re: future proofing and automation. You can never have too many 15A sockets, and cat-6 would be nice too. I'd also suggest plumbing hot water in for car washing during winter.

Edited by Neil McCauley
  • Like 1

The Field days sales have started.  15% off for the month of June from Totalspan so far.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Driftit said:

E.g. I walk in and the motion sensor that is part of the alarm turns my lights on.  If there is no motion after a few hours it turns everything off. 

Doesn't this give the game away when popping out for a snooze under the guise of 'working on the car'? ;) 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, gjm said:

Doesn't this give the game away when popping out for a snooze under the guise of 'working on the car'? ;) 

I should also mention I do not have windows in my shed.  :D

• Haha 2