I daily my 9bar (realistic 90-100km range) Leaf and its perfect. I have two other cars I can use if I need to go long distance and dont want to quick charge. I wouldnt go back to dailying an ICE though, nothing beats the instant torque, silent running and costing bugger all to run.

The problem with a PHEV is you are getting the worst of both worlds. A short battery range, and lugging around the ICE hardware. What people dont understand about normal PHEVs (i cant comment on the REX as thats technically an EV with a range extender), is that the ICE only fuel consumption once the battery runs out is terrible, worse than most standard ICE cars and definitely worse than a normal hybrid (which also doesnt pay RUC).

• Like 2

These are great.  Friend has one.  Commutes from Carterton to Wellington.
Nissan Note Nismo
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/nissan/note/listing/4747590668

Nice interior, handle well, can go further than the shops and back.
They are a series hybrid.  So electric motors with a ICE generator.

2 hours ago, KwS said:

I daily my 9bar (realistic 90-100km range) Leaf and its perfect. I have two other cars I can use if I need to go long distance and dont want to quick charge. I wouldnt go back to dailying an ICE though, nothing beats the instant torque, silent running and costing bugger all to run.

The problem with a PHEV is you are getting the worst of both worlds. A short battery range, and lugging around the ICE hardware. What people dont understand about normal PHEVs (i cant comment on the REX as thats technically an EV with a range extender), is that the ICE only fuel consumption once the battery runs out is terrible, worse than most standard ICE cars and definitely worse than a normal hybrid (which also doesnt pay RUC).

The fuel consumption is not true about the 330e.  I get excellent economy when the battery is empty.  

Comparing my 535i and 330e which have very similar performance.  The 535i highway cruises between 7-8.5l/100km, the 330 on ICE only cruises between 4.5-6l/100km.  Even with RUC added the 330e is cheaper.

In a specific use case, the PHEV is cheapest.  e.g. only running sub 30km round trips.

With all that said, when I can afford a replacement car it will be a full EV.

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

These are great.  Friend has one.  Commutes from Carterton to Wellington.
Nissan Note Nismo
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/nissan/note/listing/4747590668

Nice interior, handle well, can go further than the shops and back.
They are a series hybrid.  So electric motors with a ICE generator.

I seriously looked at a couple of Note Nismos.  Cool car, but in the end, I decided the BMW is a lot more car for the $.

48 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

The fuel consumption is not true about the 330e.  I get excellent economy when the battery is empty.  

Comparing my 535i and 330e which have very similar performance.  The 535i highway cruises between 7-8.5l/100km, the 330 on ICE only cruises between 4.5-6l/100km.  Even with RUC added the 330e is cheaper.

In a specific use case, the PHEV is cheapest.  e.g. only running sub 30km round trips.

With all that said, when I can afford a replacement car it will be a full EV.

BMW is obviously doing something differently then. The ones i work with run about 7-8L/100km when the battery is empty, which is far away from its sub 2L/100KM rating normally.

On 7/4/2024 at 9:14 PM, KwS said:

BMW is obviously doing something differently then. The ones i work with run about 7-8L/100km when the battery is empty, which is far away from its sub 2L/100KM rating normally.

The joys of the fuel consumption testing, the figure is calculated from a set approximately 12 minute test program. So the battery covers about 95% of the driving in the test giving such a low figure.

Obviously the longer you drive the smaller the portion covered by the electric driving and the higher the petrol consumption.

The small print for the fuel figures always states “this is a test result and real world figures will vary depending on conditions, values are for comparison only”.

3 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

Not yet, still in the step of "- convince wife this is a good idea" 🤣 I have joined the E38 FB group already, it's been tempting.  The 750iL EV conversion (code name: i750L) should be better use of 💰 over a brand new i7... I just need to solve the generating the funds part first. 

I haven’t finished watching this but Sandy is always good