Nigel

car wont start

I have a 2010, 528i F10. I drove 50k and stopped for a coffee, then the car would not start. When u push the start button nothing, no sound, no clicking. I called AA and they tried to jump start the car, but it would not start, The AA technician was confused and left. I got the car towed home. I charged the battery up, and still it will not start. I am thinking, Starter Motor, or perhaps ground strap loose / broken, or starter switch.

any thoughts

Cheers

Edited by Nigel

Could be. Id scan to see if there are any faults and check all fuses. Things like EWS issues or key problems can cause similar symptoms. Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

No I dont recall hearing the fuel pump, btw what are EWS?

EWS is BMW-speak for immobilizer. Sometimes the DME (ECU) can randomly go out of sync with the EWS and refuse to start. Not to definitively say that that's your issue but could be one of a number of possibilities. Have is scanned to see if there's any codes, could be something simple and obvious. 

thank you for your input. I will arrange for the car to be transported to my auto electrican.

Hello again. Both The AA technican are completely baffled, why my car wont start. The car cannot be jumped start, even using heavy duty truck cables, that have been on for 20 minutes, with donor car.

The battery reads 12.3 volts. and my trickle charger says the battery is full. However that may not be case as trickle charges run at a lower voltage rate.

I had my car for 8 years, my first battery lasted 4 years (2016 -2020) and then my 2nd battery lasted 2020 to now. However I did noticed that when AA changed my last battery 2020, they installed a acid lead battery, and I am told that BMW runs on AGM battery. Will this have caused other issues. My car when not in use is always on a trickle charger. Up to now I have had no issues with car. Always starts, no fault codes (ie low battery charge levels)

My question is, if the battery is faulty can it still be jumped started? or not. The last time 2020, the car would not start, same as now, but back then I did not get it jumped started, but just had a new battery installed and everything was good. Should I just get a new battery installed? only downside if there were faults codes, they will be erased when new battery is installed.

Has anyone else had similar issues with their BMW? mine is 2010 , 528i

Thanks

Scan it is the answer with a proper scanner that talks BMW, you are pissing into the wind blind at the moment and the car will know exactly why it wont start.

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

There's more than one reason why the car might not start.

It could be a power supply issue (e.g. Battery is dead, a cable is broken etc), but it can also be a number of other things not related to the battery, for example it could be a "computer says no" issue.  When you push the start button the cars computers do a whole lot of magic stuff (like checking if the key in the vehicle is allowed to start the car) - and only if the computers are happy will they command the starter motor to turn.

You really need to get a proper scanner on the car to see if there are any indications of why it won't start.

Edited by Spinner99

I dont think you have mentioned, but when you press the ignition button, does the car power up normally? Dash lights on, headlights, radio etc. 

Im also not familiar with F10s, but do they have a light on the dash when you press your foot on the brake pedal to indicate the car can be started (vs going into "ON" mode when the button is pressed)? If it does, when you press the brake pedal, does this light illuminate?

So a couple of things.

AA should have registered the new battery with the car. But also the car would have needed the correct charging profile for a no agm battery . Basically a recode of battery type should have been done.

If it hasn’t been done already check the negative battery lead. It has a IBS terminal that will disconnect the battery in an accident , over current etc.

Quick way to check is to put a multi meter on the negative terminal and a ground point on the negative lead.  You should see almost no resistance when using ohms setting on multimeter.

Overview of IBS

https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intelligent-battery-sensor-ibs/#:~:text=The BMW Intelligent Battery Sensor,to the negative battery terminal.&text=The IBS contains a micro,measurement from B%2B to Gnd

Edited by Neal

Thanks everyone, I got a new battery as the other one registered as below standard. The car still did not start and I got in contact with a BMW auto electrican who stated that it almost certainly the starter motor. But he is fully booked out until end of september. I contacted BMW and they quoted a new starter Motor at $900 +. Does this price sound right?

$900 for just the starter itself or installed? If that's installed and you're happy to pay that then doesn't seem too bad. Alternatively, a new quality Bosch/Denso starter will run you around $300-350 landed and doesn't look like too daunting a task as a weekend DIY project.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

new starter Motor at $900 +. Does this price sound right?

For the starter itself (im assuming that price is) its probably about right for genuine new Bosch unit. Re-manufactured genuine units are are about 2\3 of that price overseas by the time you add shipping.

1 hour ago, Vass said:

Spareto dont seem to be reman'd unit so im assuming those are aftermarket judging by the price, made in China no doubt, but probably ok for the price.

BMW price $900 + for starter motor + cost for installation. However I sourced a Bosch Starter for $326. made in Hungary. with genuine Bosch serial numbers. Sometime it pays to shop around,

Now I just need to find a mechanic to install. I assuming about 3 hours work. It may not even need to go into the shop, just replace in my garage.