Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Fiat Ad

What do you think about the new ad for the Fiat Idea?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you don't like the Fiat ad, then you probably wont like this:

http://www.legacypartners.com/Legacy.asp?loc=r_dev11&div=R

They have only just got the spelling right (previously it was called Kiora Park!!)

Loving the 'Maori architectural themes'. I'm guessing, then, that Maori Architects are responsible for all the recent cod-colonial townhouse developments in our urban centres, cos that don't look much like a Whare to me, au!

I wouldn't say I'm on my high horse here though Grant... I'm MILDY offended, I wouldn't even say offended is the right word, but more from the perspective that I don't want it turned into a commodity, just like how the stupid Commonwealth Games teams were thrashing it.. They were performing it ok, but were just thrashing the cr@p out of it. I know I was sick of it!

Personally I agree that the place is getting too PC, but in saying that, I have a right to ask for respect for my culture as performing the haka gives me great pride. I love seeing tikanga maori around the world, but what I don't like is half assed efforts. Its all about representation. If it is a decent one, then all good, great advertising for our country.

If they threw in some Italian guys doing the haka and doing it properly, I personally would have been happy to see the haka in an ad. Just a little thought before airing it.

I agree in principal with what you guys are saying, but deep inside me I still have pride towards my culture. I'm also not a very sensitive person to most things as well.

Edited by Deftones

I'm also not a very sensitive person to most things as well.

*cough* subjective *cough*

I love seeing tikanga maori around the world, but what I don't like is half assed efforts. Its all about representation. If it is a decent one, then all good, great advertising for our country.

If they threw in some Italian guys doing the haka and doing it properly, I personally would have been happy to see the haka in an ad. Just a little thought before airing it.

I agree in principal with what you guys are saying, but deep inside me I still have pride towards my culture. I'm also not a very sensitive person to most things as well.

I agree. If they wanted to do it, then they should make more of an effort to at least comply with the traditional aspects rather than making it culturally insensitive. Apparently they totally snub us and put it through anyway. Edited by E30stz

tears are a'comin to mine eyes...

as someone said above, kiwis are disrespectful around the world enough, so surely we should be thick skinned enough to take the same back?

drinking at gallipoli, the above mentioned running of the bulls by females, and a certain forum members nudity on la rambla in barcelona are hardly examples of respect to other cultures.

everyone should harden up, take the PC stick knocking their tonsils out their ass and be able to have a laugh at your own expense.

sure specifically maoris might be offended, but since when are they not New Zealanders?

might be worth claiming some land

omg I cant believe it those bastards!

First this and now the soccer, these italians.. boy!

time for another hikoi.. rope off the harbour bridge.

Edited by E30stz

We do Spanish Dancing

We do Latin dancing

We drink German beer

The Hula

We play ENGLISH rugby

We play ENGLISH cricket

We play ENGLISH Soccer

We immitate Aussie accents

We drive German, Japanese, American, Australian, Italian and European cars

We drink Italian/South American/African cofee

We fly in American planes.

We use American computer software

These are all other countries things. Yes the Haka is "unique" to us. But why do WE kick up a stink when we play, drive and drink other countries sh*t? I mean c'mon. We don't own it, nor is it trademarked. Let the Italians dance.

I'd disagree with the Haka being an anthem. Pokarekare ana would be my 2nd choice as an NZ song.

I'd also like to point out that the Maori are no more indigenous to NZ than the English. They came here by boat also.

Te Rauparaha's Haka definitely has NZ origins, however the wardance (Haka) does not as a concept.

Personally I think its great advertising. The actual add is sh*t but look how many contries and people have just seen this new car. The contriversy on this add alone has probably made fiat a sh*t load more sales. Great marketing!!!

whats next vtec decals on bmw's ?

Shelly, take a look at the 16's in the forsale section - closing in a 30 minutes, woudl look great on your car.

Edited by E30stz

Shelly, take a look at the 16's in the forsale section - closing in a 30 minutes, woudl look great on your car.

Ahaha nice try. I love my mags enough to not lose em.

"Anyways, this thread is starting to make me boil as last week a maori government organisation I did some work for got smart to me as soon as I walked in there door, ONLY because I was EUROPEAN and did not speak there language. So I think they are just causing another HU-HA over this advertisment for the fun of it, cos if they can give it they can handle it. Go try claim some land, that stuff we gave you blankets, guns and medicine for, bro!!!"

Signage anyone need Signage??? lol

Its called ///M Tech decals (on non-mtech cars) if I remember rightly.

Haha we're all salesman here!

Pretty lame ad IMHO.

Personally I think the haka has lost its meaning through overuse, which is a shame. (On an unrelated tangent, I remember reading that maori battalion troops in WWI did the haka above the trenches... true story?)

Speaking of our national song, how many other countries sing their national anthem twice?

South Africa have a bi-lingual national Anthem

It is acually a tri-lingual anthem, first part is in Xhosa, second in Afrikaans and the last bit in English... :blink: