E30stz

Quick Questions

What size i-torx are the bolts that hold the bumpers on on facelifts? Are there more than one size?

You can use an allen key - 8 or 10mm if I recall correctly. I wouldnt go using an allen key in a torx bolt for anything else though. Just tap it into the head of the bolt gently with a hammer and away you go. Saves buying tools

You can use an allen key - 8 or 10mm if I recall correctly. I wouldnt go using an allen key in a torx bolt for anything else though. Just tap it into the head of the bolt gently with a hammer and away you go. Saves buying tools

Sweet thanks for the tip :)

If you can't fit your 0.012in (0.305mm) thicknesser between the valve and the rocker.... should you make the proper gap?

I'm guessing yes, but would like another opinion.

Cheers.

If you can't fit your 0.012in (0.305mm) thicknesser between the valve and the rocker.... should you make the proper gap?

Cheers.

Yes

E30 should be .010in (.25mm) cold and make sure you are on the back of the cam opposite the lobe

Cheers.

yeah otherwise you will burn your valve out because when it gets warm the gap will dissapear and the valve wont fully close. you should be able to push it through with a reasonable amount of friction

Yes

E30 should be .010in (.25mm) cold and make sure you are on the back of the cam opposite the lobe

Whoops, I set the hot gap.. this proves I can't read.

I'll do it again tomorrow cos I can't drive the car atm till I get a new hose..

but yeah, I couldn't even fit a .007 gauge in there... but one was way out of adjustment... poor little motor :(

Cheers Oli, I'm onto this now <.<

hi there

i have got a 2001 728... an E38

Yesterday morning, tried to start the engine and it wont.....thinking if it was a low battery problem, checked if the lights were on or if any of the doors were unproperly closed over night, but none of the problems...

gave it a restart a couple of times but it failed....went back to uni cos i was getting late for class on by brothers car....

came back in the afternoon.... and gave it a try... turned the key to on and i kept it there trying to start the engine, after a couple of seconds say 4-5 secs the engine started reving and finally turned on.... and on the display read TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG.

the car ran smoothly yesterday and today morning...

while i was at uni today googled TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG. and some of the search reaults made me understand that the car runs on a perticular gear all the time whenever such an error shows up.... didnt notice that while i drove since the error message.....thought i was lucky...

but the after the classes... got into the car and turned it on, but still showing the same message on the display , and the car doesn move at all...seems it was stuck on a higher gear.....

turned it off and waited for a while thinking what cud be wrong..... and then gave it a try... ran fine till i got home...

ny one please help me out with this..... kinda love the car alot and this makes me unhappy...... :mellow:

cheers

joel

take it to john at hillcrest autos for a scan man he will sort you out . either talk to john or Matthew

take it to john at hillcrest autos for a scan man he will sort you out . either talk to john or Matthew

can i have the name of the shop.... is it hillcrest autos???

can i have the name of the shop.... is it hillcrest autos???

hillcrest auto services 8567165

E36 323 Manual conversion... Does it need to be certified?

Only if you use non stock parts and/or have the driveshaft lengthened.

Only if you use non stock parts and/or have the driveshaft lengthened.

Great! Thanks Westy.

Im trying to figure out which slave clutch cylinder part number I have so I can find prices on a new slave cylinder.

For a G242 4spd 73'

At the moment i think it is; 215 2111 6300 or 215 211 58677

Is there anything to measure on the slave cylinder itself to confirm?

Edit: G242

Edited by bumpstop325

Theoretically speaking, if I want to put a E32 booster and mast cyl in my E30, will I need a cert?

^ Not this week. Maybe a mod for the future incarnation, plus the added bonus of better brakes now with the M20.

Back to my question, anyone?

Or is the better question should I be able to get away with it come WOF time :D

Edited by Hellpina

technically speaking yes. as you have modified the braking system. although some has to realise that its not the origianal parts 1st. which i doubt very much would happen unless you stuck a big sticker on there saying "THIS IS MODIFIED PLEASE FAIL ME!!!"

Best way to remove the sticky foam from behind a 320i badge [e30] thats left on the car?

Have tried scratching, heat gun, meths, warm/hot soapy water...

Any other ideas?

Cover it with an M Badge? :)

Get your thumbnail or a very sharp blade and get rid of the foamy stuff first, then the residue will come off with meths. Meths won't move the foam.

how hard is it to fix a cracked bumper? more specifically, a vertical crack on a front bumper. that goes from the bottom to the left side of the middle of the middle air vent. i would imagine fibre glass, body filler, sanding??

How much oil will I need to fill a Med case diff in an E30 that is completly dry?

I know how much is full, but want to know how much to buy. Is it around a litre?

After a bit of hunting, the figure I have found is 1.3 qz which is 1.23 litres.

Correctus?