E30stz

Quick Questions

its P.A.Soft BMW Scanner v1.3.6. it says "hardware not ready"

it doesnt have operatiing instructions

its P.A.Soft BMW Scanner v1.3.6. it says "hardware not ready"

Is it Car Soft because I havent heard of P.A.Soft before... as I said do you understand the operating systems ? Does it have a learning mode (simulator) so that you can play with it before trying it on a car ?

Just be careful. Some of these tools can be as dangerous as giving sharp knives to babies for the inexperienced.

it doesnt have operatiing instructions

Well...in that case I wouldn't plug it into my car. Where did you get it from ?

Is it Car Soft because I havent heard of P.A.Soft before... as I said do you understand the operating systems ? Does it have a learning mode (simulator) so that you can play with it before trying it on a car ?

http://bmw-scanner.com/

i'll figure this out and come back to you. i tried the 1.4.0 version from the website and it asked me to install adapter software, because the scanner uses rs232 port whereas my laptop uses usb

You need to remove the pan and disconnent the cable from the valve body inside the gearbox

Thanks Glenn, Since I am taking it apart do I need a new sump gasket? Cheers, Adam

Thanks Glenn, Since I am taking it apart do I need a new sump gasket? Cheers, Adam

Yes.. and I would also replace the filter and give it some nice fresh blood

Which Gearbox (ATF) to use in the ZF 4HP-22 (EH)

Any Dexron III ATF is fine? or something more specific.

(is this fine for the p/steer too? my fluid is black hahaha)

BNT reckon it's this "European" stuff that costs 400/20L and is only avalible in 20L lots.

We use ELF G3 full synthetic on the older cars and ELF G3LL on the newer cars. Its dependant on the trans label. It will tell you whether its G3 or Longlife. On the new 6 speed transmissions we use genuine oniy.

If its for your '91 320... G3 full synthetic is what you should be using for your trans and power steering

what does it mean when the inspection light comes on but I still have 4 green dots lit up?

had inspection 2 done approx 4,000kms ago

after trying Google with several different phrases, I've managed to find an answer :)

99% of the info I found was about what to do when all the green lights are out, but then this one webpage had this ....

"For 1991 models onwards, every 24 months, timed from the original date of delivery, a small clock symbol, together with the word inspection will come on. For the 750i, 750iL, 850iL and M models up to September 1994, the clock symbol comes on at 12 month intervals. It is now time for your car's brake fluid to be changed.

For pre-91 models and all 3 Series models excluding the current 3 Series, the clock symbol will appear every 12 months. It is now time for your car's Annual Check. The Service Interval Indicator will continue to monitor your BMW’s requirement for either an oil service or Inspection independent of the check"

Oh BMW gurus! I need your help!

So I removed the parcel shelf a week or so ago and dyed it black. Reinstalling was easy apart from two very annoying pieces of trim, the two C pillar covers.

They came off alright, but I not able to get them to clip back in along the top (Along the window line).

Any tips from anyone who's done this before? I would greatly appreciate it as they're just flapping around and are completely ruining the vibe of my new badass parcel tray!

Chur bo

Oh BMW gurus! I need your help!

So I removed the parcel shelf a week or so ago and dyed it black. Reinstalling was easy apart from two very annoying pieces of trim, the two C pillar covers.

They came off alright, but I not able to get them to clip back in along the top (Along the window line).

Any tips from anyone who's done this before? I would greatly appreciate it as they're just flapping around and are completely ruining the vibe of my new badass parcel tray!

Chur bo

You sure you havent damaged the clips ?

I don't think so Glenn. They aren't really clips from what I can see, its like they hook over a metal tab along the glass line. Just can't get them on.

I'll get a picture up when I can be bothered disassembling everything again.

The're not clips as such, they're little straight lugs of plastic that slide in awkwardly to the cars pillar.

Basically push it right into the back corner butting up against the parcel tray and then eye it down between the pillar and the trim and line one of the bottom two lugs up and give it a encouraging tap with a closed fist or something, and then you can still flex it out from the top and eye up one of them too, but only slightly push that in. Once that one is lined up you can push the remaining 2 and a half as such into the pillar and finalise it with a good all round smack/tap at all 4 points and your in.

Remember what it looks like before you put it on as it helps to visualise the way it will butt up flush because they don't go straight in, they go in and then angle down. Hard to explain over here but give it a go and if all else fails bring it to the christmas meet Nick and ill do it there for you.

I ripped all the rear interior out again this morning to try and get them in properly but still no luck. Would love to take you up on that offer Jase. I'm getting so frustrated, the interior looks a mess without the door cards and the back seats.

bring it tonight then and we will suss it out

Guys whats the approx cost these days of a interval service one.

Depends who did it last time and whether this is the first time its been serviced in this country. Also depends on previous history.. if there is one

Depends who did it last time and whether this is the first time its been serviced in this country. Also depends on previous history.. if there is one

To be honest Glenn it did not come with a service history but i would say it would have had one done at some stage, BMW here in chch have done all the work on the car that i have needed doing since i have had it but its time i put it in for a proper service just wanted to know what sort of $$ i would be looking at.

I did buy the owners history via carjam which gives me the location it has been in since its been in NZ i could ring around some of those locations main bmw service agents and see if the number plate is in their system.

I'd get them to do a thorough inspection of the vehicle first and give you a report on the overall condition first and get them to indicate what needs to be done on a prioritised list dependant on urgency.

I'd get them to do a thorough inspection of the vehicle first and give you a report on the overall condition first and get them to indicate what needs to be done on a prioritised list dependant on urgency.

Cheers Glenn i just rang wellington as the car was mostly in lower hutt before it came down here, I did not realize that all the service's and work carried out were on a integrated database and he just listed the things i have had bmw do down here, So will take your advice and get them to do a full inspection with a oil and filter change and go from there.

Cheers Glenn i just rang wellington as the car was mostly in lower hutt before it came down here, I did not realize that all the service's and work carried out were on a integrated database and he just listed the things i have had bmw do down here, So will take your advice and get them to do a full inspection with a oil and filter change and go from there.

[/quote

Thats exactly what I would advise you to do... and then take it from there. Feel free to ask for any help if needed