E30stz

Quick Questions

My golfs timing is weird at idle. The timing mark jumps around with every fire both to the advance and the retard side randomly. What could be causing this? Dizzy cap, rotor, and plugs are new. The mark then disappears off to the right when rev'd.

The motor is basically the same as an M10.. 1.8 single cam with all the bosch engine electronics of that era.

Cheers.

CPS?

CPS?

Camshaft position sensor? Pretty sure it doesn't have one.

Camshaft position sensor? Pretty sure it doesn't have one.

Crankshaft.

Hi, I’m having idling problems in my 1990 325i. Basically it pulsates between around 500 and 1500, and when I go to accelerate, it drops right down for a second before the car starts moving. Occasionally it would even stall the engine. It mostly happens while its still warming up, but can still be uneven while its up to temperature. I’ve had someone check the seals quickly and the seals don’t appear to be the problem.

The car itself has only done around 130,000 km’s and had a gearbox replacement around 5000km’s ago.

If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Edited by Kaz

Hi, I’m having idling problems in my 1990 325i. Basically it pulsates between around 500 and 1500, and when I go to accelerate, it drops right down for a second before the car starts moving. Occasionally it would even stall the engine. It mostly happens while its still warming up, but can still be uneven while its up to temperature. I’ve had someone check the seals quickly and the seals don’t appear to be the problem.

The car itself has only done around 130,000 km’s and had a gearbox replacement around 5000km’s ago.

If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated, Thanks.

seems like a leak on the intake manifold... but if that all checks out then always a good idea to check and clean orreplace dizzy cap & rotor

Actually after testing it a little more, it seems to rev between around 300-1000 while idling. Is there any way to check a leak in the Intake Manifold myself?

have you cleaned your idle control valve? my car's rpm used to jump around alot at idle.

also, read you can use carb cleaner and spray around vacuum seals and intake area to detect leaks, but pretty sure it's not safe to do so, as its highly flammable lol. you could use a rag and go around wrapping your intake to see if the engine runs better

edit: spelling

Edited by dubman

Actually after testing it a little more, it seems to rev between around 300-1000 while idling. Is there any way to check a leak in the Intake Manifold myself?

you could check for any cracks in the rubber intake between air filter and manifold old ones get brittle and crack in the bend, also where the manifold bolts up to the block make sure the gasket is good. Basically anywhere between AFM and block where air could get in. Alternatively take it to a workshop that has a tune scope should only cost about $30 they will be able to tell you straight away

Hi Guys

Facelift M20B25

Recently I removed the coolant lines from the throttle body , and blocked off the outlet at the rear (on the side) of the block.

I still have my heater hooked up etc.

My question is, will blocking off that outlet cause an excess build up of pressure,

The reason i ask is my radiator hoses seem to be rather firm when hot, (not solid but you can't really squeeze them much) is that normal?

How do i put euro plates on a jap import? A little baffled here guys, do i need to replace the bumper part!? Cheers

for you e36? theres a bumper trim piece you need to replace. any UK/SA import or NZ new will have the right part. back should be the same (edit: ...between the jap imports and rest of world cars so wont need to be replaced), may be a silver bracket to remove though

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

ETK gives me different numbers. Give me the chassis number of the car you want them for and I'll give you the correct part #

They also differ on the sedan if it is fitted with the aerodynamic package

Edited by *Glenn*

any one de tinted a car themselves? what about the rear window with the de misters.

Should i just leave it to the pros?

I had to do this to my E39 - remove all the leftover adhesive.

Was a painful job because you can't really use a scraper due to the rear demister.

Next time I'll pay someone! haha

any one de tinted a car themselves? what about the rear window with the de misters.

Should i just leave it to the pros?

I had to do this to my E39 - remove all the leftover adhesive.

Was a painful job because you can't really use a scraper due to the rear demister.

Next time I'll pay someone! haha

done , cost me 40 bucks

does your car have a towbar and wiring? i found deleting that solved the problem on my E30, no idea why lol just did. I think its because the brake lights are wired seperately left and right, and the high stop is parallelled off one side. Must be a short in the trailer harness.

if you dont have one, dont know where to start :S

there will be a short somewhere, it will either be like andy said in the trailer wiring, if not it will either be a constant power wire that is shorting with the lights power wires and earthing through the lights earth, or the lights earth may be faulty causing something that shares the same earth to send the power back up the earth of the lights, through the bulbs and earthing somewhere else.

best place to start is check continuity between the negative side of the bulbs and the body with the igntion off. then work back down the positive side (with ignition on but with the switches for the lights turned off) until you find the point where the power is being introduced.

ok before i go and go on a spending spree. does anyone know the rules on car parts and luggages? going overseas end of the year and i am planning on buying some car parts then bring it back in my luggage. or would i end up being asked to bin it?

ok before i go and go on a spending spree. does anyone know the rules on car parts and luggages? going overseas end of the year and i am planning on buying some car parts then bring it back in my luggage. or would i end up being asked to bin it?

bit vague,electronics,metal what? weight would be your biggest problem I would of thought.Cant you post them back home while your there instead.

bit vague,electronics,metal what? weight would be your biggest problem I would of thought.Cant you post them back home while your there instead.

could, should and would. but if it would fit in my luggage and save me postage would be ideal. little things like something that would fit in a check in luggage. ohhh lets say triple webers :D and steering wheel for my lil project. would assume that wont be pinged for tax and duties?

Edited by Docile

Could any1 tell me how to check if the engine oils are low? because the dip stick of my 2001 e39 has got no markings at all weather its max or empty. My previous Japanese cars had markings on the stick saying if the oil is full or low. This one doesn't and its the firs Bimmer I bought, so any help would be much appreciated!

The dipstick should have a plastic tip on it with a low and high mark on it...if it's missing you need a new dip stick

Edited by *Glenn*