E30stz

Quick Questions

for E30? quite hard yes. Ones that suit E34 15" rims dont fit apparently

How do you tell the ratio on a diff?

I remember somewhere reading there was three numbers on it but can't rememeber where I read that

How do you tell the ratio on a diff?

I remember somewhere reading there was three numbers on it but can't rememeber where I read that

There is a tag that is attached to the rear via one of the diff bolts, otherwise you can turn the driveshaft 360 degrees and see how many times the half shaft turns.

Anyone got any tips for removing the sticky foamy residue left behind when taking bonnet foam insulation off? Ideally I would like to preserve the paint underneath and keep it glossy.

For a E30.

Edited by Brams

Anyone got any tips for removing the sticky foamy residue left behind when taking bonnet foam insulation off? Ideally I would like to preserve the paint underneath and keep it glossy.

For a E30.

Bug and tar remover?

For a E30.

I just sprayed it with 'start ya bastard' and let that soak in and soften it up then water blasted it off easy as. Any solvent should soften it up tho.

Either take the bonnet off or cover your car / engine bay with a tarp cause the sh*t goes everywhere.

^Cheers man, ironically I tried that just after posting the question, worked pretty good with just engine degreaser and a pallet knife then turps to take the rest of the glue off, sadly it took like 40min to do a small 30cm square patch. Will roll the waterblaster out.

^Cheers man, ironically I tried that just after posting the question, worked pretty good with just engine degreaser and a pallet knife then turps to take the rest of the glue off, sadly it took like 40min to do a small 30cm square patch. Will roll the waterblaster out.

To remove the glue use a wax and grease remover (prepsol, or supercheap stuff). I used it to get rid of the sticky residue from my taped up sunroof, and its all ive found that will get gum (from a gumtree) off my paint...

can the ball joint on the e36 front control arm be removed? my stupid brother due to lack of concentration went over a runabout and bent the new set i replaced a couple of months ago. ive got the old arm in good condition and will just transplant the bushing and the ball joint to the old one.

I had my mechanic put new outer ball joints in mine a few weeks ago, so I'd assume so. Might need a press or similar though

You should not press out a ball joint and refit it. Its designed and made to be fitted ONCE ONLY

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing my shifter to a short shifter on my E46 coupe. I've disconnected the shifter from the lower shift selector rod, but I'm having trouble removing cup and ball bushing from my shifter.

I've read different articles telling me to rotate it clock wise or anti clockwise, i've tried both, but its still stuck :(

Does anyone know which is the correct direction to spin it from inside the cabin?

Cheers,

Andrew

heya, i got a getrag gearbox how do i tell if its a 240/260?

Cheer's

Ash

oh also always wondered why under my profile name, cars etc. . it says "Warning 0%" what is that about?

Edited by AshR

heya, i got a getrag gearbox how do i tell if its a 240/260?

Cheer's

Ash

oh also always wondered why under my profile name, cars etc. . it says "Warning 0%" what is that about?

Try check out the p/n on the side of the gearbox. Getrag 260's start with 260.xxxxx

Try check out the p/n on the side of the gearbox. Getrag 260's start with 260.xxxxx

thought so,

Sweet thanx.

If you're a d*ck... you get a warning. Once you get 100% warning you get the banstick.

QUOTE (AshR @ Mar 6 2011, 02:09 PM)

If you're a d*ck... you get a warning. Once you get 100% warning you get the banstick.

I must be an expected d*ck in the making lol

Do auto and manual E30s have different style brake light switches?

The auto pedal box I have infront of me has a square cutout in the pedal box and the manual pedal box I have just put in the car has a circle cutout.

The car it's going in is a facelift

Ta

Edited by Brams

All cars I have seen them on have square cutouts and te switches have been interchangable. Perhaps the round cutout is an early thing?

^ Cheers Max.

I'm thinking it's probably a PFL pedal box, since it was also a PFL gearbox conv.

Anyone got a PFL brake light switch lying around? Otherwise I can dremel the circle into a square I guess.

^ Cheers Max.

I'm thinking it's probably a PFL pedal box, since it was also a PFL gearbox conv.

Anyone got a PFL brake light switch lying around? Otherwise I can dremel the circle into a square I guess.

Just swap the auto switch off the auto pedal box onto the manual pedal box. Still works fine.

^ I know that. It's just its a different shape that's all. Will sort it.

Anyone know a good washer bottle replacement, I want to move mine behind the strut tower to where the battery tray is.

Seen the iX bottle there for example, but they're not so available in NZ.

Make/Model or other ideas?

Anyone know a good washer bottle replacement, I want to move mine behind the strut tower to where the battery tray is.

Seen the iX bottle there for example, but they're not so available in NZ.

Make/Model or other ideas?

Let me know how you get on with this Lucan, i want to do the same eventually