E30stz

Quick Questions

Ive smacked it a little and was able to start it once. Now it wont go again.

I did find that this seems to be wet with oil.. not sure what it is. Looks like it goes to intake. Could this be the reason its not starting? Oil is shorting it?

post-12239-14148038307117.jpg

Edit: my car is a 90 318i with the m40b18

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by DeepFried

Hi all, does anyone know what the part number is for a clutch slave cylinder to suit a Getrag 262 4 speed out of an e12? I have one fitted to my 628csi, but I am not sure what year it was out of so I can't search on realoem. Cheers, Ben.

Wehhhhhhhhh.......

Have been away for almost a month. Cabrio has been tucked away in the garage the whole time. Went to start it last night and the engine turns over but does not fire. Periodic thumps can be heard while cranking but not enough to cause the engine to start.

Car was completely fine beforehand. Have had the battery charger on overnight and the meter reads full now. What time-caused problems can occur to create problems like this? Full tank of fuel, other fluids are all still there.

(Lazily) hoping for some quick guidance/shared experience before I start checking for spark etc when I get home.

Semi-terrible thing to come back to. Thanks guys :)

Edit: stock standard m20b20 engine, PFL too.

Edited by tidyverty

E36 318i starts but then cuts out straight away (second the starter releases pretty much). Where do I start? I'm new to E36s, M20 is the extent of my knowledge so far haha

Thanks, that's given me somewhere to start looking. I've had a few fuel pump failures before, I knew I recognised the symptoms but wasn't sure why.

Don't think it's the fuel pump... although could still be. It starts fine with a bit of gas, and runs fine with throttle. As soon as you try let it idle it will die. Sounds like it's running sweet as when its revving, although there is some popping, but I'd guess thats partly from sitting around for a while.

Edit: Some more playing around, got it idling, hunting really bad! Suspect AFM as I pulled the plug off and no change. Might go get some AFM cleaner and do the ICV at the same time.

Edited by huff3r

also check for vac leaks , airpipes that have come off or cracked etc

Airpipes all look good. Car runs exactly the same with the AFM disconnected, I've cleaned it but still no go. Might have to try a known good one, but until then I have to figure out where to find the ICV and PCV now haha

Edit: Found ICV, soaked in $21 of CRC MAF cleaner. Re-assembled, starts and idles at 800ish rpm. Purrs like a kitten (with tappety tappets lol)

Edited by huff3r
  • Like 1

Can anyone point me to where they normally buy vacuum hoses? Mine are pretty old and was looking at just replacing most if not all of them.

Would i be better off getting OEM or are there better alternatives that do not cost much more than the OEMs?

Last time I got one it was from the dealer, and it was pretty reasonable too. Always worth a check to see if it's worth shopping around, if it's cheap enough I prefer OEM.

Still struggling with getting my cabrio to start.

Spark:

Have changed all sensors (crank, AFM, tps etc) swapped distributor caps, rotors and spark plugs. We now have consistent and strong spark.

Compression:

Did a compression test, 150psi all 6 cylinders. No problems here, I hope!

Fuel:

Didn't explicitly check fuel via injectors, but new fuel pump still runs and multimeter shows appropriate voltages. I smell some fuel after trying to crank the engine for a bit. Is this a problem?

Air:

Don't feel much vacuum when putting my hand over the intake, but I don't think that is indicative or accurate.

Engine is turning over but there isn't enough ignition to start idling I think, a bunch of smaller intermittent firings. Starting to think it's fuel and injectors.... How can I test this easily?

Just want to get it out of the garage so i can do an engine swap or something!!

Still struggling with getting my cabrio to start.

Spark:

Have changed all sensors (crank, AFM, tps etc) swapped distributor caps, rotors and spark plugs. We now have consistent and strong spark.

Compression:

Did a compression test, 150psi all 6 cylinders. No problems here, I hope!

Fuel:

Didn't explicitly check fuel via injectors, but new fuel pump still runs and multimeter shows appropriate voltages. I smell some fuel after trying to crank the engine for a bit. Is this a problem?

Air:

Don't feel much vacuum when putting my hand over the intake, but I don't think that is indicative or accurate.

Engine is turning over but there isn't enough ignition to start idling I think, a bunch of smaller intermittent firings. Starting to think it's fuel and injectors.... How can I test this easily?

Just want to get it out of the garage so i can do an engine swap or something!!

If you're getting voltage to your fuel pump and can smell gas doesn't directly mean you have enough pressure. Fuel filter might have been dirty and over the time it sat the gunk could have solidified and created a restriction large enough to stop it running but still let some fuel through. Fuel plus spark should work.

Check and listen if the injectors are clicking.. should be able to hear them firing.

Have you double checked your leads are going to the correct cylinders? Spark is good but it needs to fire at the right time. Check the leads .. They can deteriorate over time.

Have you checked the dizzy is spinning and contacting all points?

Have you checked the timing? (Do the e30s use a belt?) Could have slipped a tooth? Or the belt could have been on last legs ..

Check the airflow meter (might need to check inside .. Some afms use a flappy thing that sometimes get stuck... I'm used to the wire resistance ones). Check the piping from the afm to the throttle body.. intake leaks.

I'm having trouble removing the front seats of my E30. I have removed them from a coupe before, but the sedan seems a little different and I just can't seem to fit a tool over the nuts in the back!

Here's a pic to show you what I'm talking about, and also the tools I have tried doing it with so far.
Surely I'm just missing a simple step or tool
Thanks team :~)

post-41073-0-86317800-1417741241.jpg

the seat needs to go further forward.

check the tracks are clear etc

Have you tried moving the seat forward?

I have a question.

The stereo of my E34 doesn't sound very nice. There's a lot of distortion and crackling at low volume which seems to go away as I increase it. It has a Sony head unit which looks OEM, one speaker mounted in the dash and one in the foot on each side. The speakers mounted in the dash seem to be the ones distorting the sound.

What would the culprit most likely be; speakers or head unit?

there where a few sony units that bmw fitted in the early 90's they all seam to fail.

I'm having trouble removing the front seats of my E30. I have removed them from a coupe before, but the sedan seems a little different and I just can't seem to fit a tool over the nuts in the back!

Here's a pic to show you what I'm talking about, and also the tools I have tried doing it with so far.

Surely I'm just missing a simple step or tool

Thanks team :~)

attachicon.giftumblr_ng33ylX6cG1rw19cyo1_1280.jpg

From memory the seat does go forward a little further. If not - a 3/8 ratchet & socket is much lower in profile, & that spanner has a very thick wall profile - a Stahlwille spanner fits easily.

Anybody have an idea what bolts are used to mount an m20 onto an engine stand? Length? Type?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Whats the best oil to use in our e46 n46 318?

Will check here for an answer but a pm would be great

Anyone know if a single mass M30 flywheel & clutch setup will work on an M50 with G250? Am finding conflicting information as to whether it works or not :)

no , but you can use a m20 one with m20 starter motor .

m30 will work with m10 s14 s38 m88 etc

no , but you can use a m20 one with m20 starter motor .

m30 will work with m10 s14 s38 m88 etc

Different crank bolt pattern? Where's the difference?

offset depth for starter motor , the starter motor on m30 m10 etc is bolted to the block also teeth count is different on starter motors

, not straight to the gearbox like the m50 m20 m40 m43 m44 m42 n42 m54 n54 etc etc

• Like 1