E30stz

Quick Questions

E36 manual conversion - do you use a clutch/flywheel setup to match the engine or gearbox?

I had it saved somewhere but can't find the answer anymore

either will work , m20 or m50 etc

Cheers Brent!

hello there. i've just had a service done on my 2005 320i e90 (almost 90k mileage) and the workshop used Valvoline 5w-30 fully syn oil. I wanted to buy a bottle to keep because my car does consume some oil and i wanted to top up with the same brand and specs. They workshop doesn't sell by the bottle/retail. I've checked around on Repco and Supercheap auto websites and seems they only carry the 5w-40 version. Does anyone know where I could buy Valvoline 5w-30 oil retail?

Thank you so much.

Just buy 5 liters off the workshop in your own container. You'll be needing it

thank you for your replies. i'll pop into Repco and SCA to check. i would much prefer using castrol but i bought this service package at Michies Automotive so have to use the oil they carry for now. i do have one other question - i wasn't sure if i should look for BMLL01 or LL04 specs when looking at the oils. just wanted to make sure. thanks a lot.

Compact or Coupe rear tilt windows looking into motorizing them. Have the motors and looms etc ready to install the wiring diagrams shows the wires running into two of the connectors on the general module.So my question is will the module need to be told to turn this feature on or not thanks.

hello.. one more quick question.. every now and then i get a strong burning smell in the car... like clutch/rubber burn... not sure what could be the cause. i do notice that the little rubber stoppers under my bonnet are melted. wonder if this could be it. or something more serious...

Is there any way to get the cigarette lighter socket (female end) to work properly when using USB chargers etc. Just bought a V1 but the socket doesn't make a good contact and it only works if I hold it in on a certain angle. No using it while driving so far....

Before I just hardwire it, is there any quick fix?? Or just a general fix as I would like to be able to charge my phone too!

Is there any way to get the cigarette lighter socket (female end) to work properly when using USB chargers etc. Just bought a V1 but the socket doesn't make a good contact and it only works if I hold it in on a certain angle. No using it while driving so far....

Before I just hardwire it, is there any quick fix?? Or just a general fix as I would like to be able to charge my phone too!

not sure what a v1 is but i sometimes just have to push the thing into the socket a little harder until it clicks and it works well.

not sure what a v1 is but i sometimes just have to push the thing into the socket a little harder until it clicks and it works well.

A valentine one radar detector. Seems to be a common problem with the E30's something about a different sized socket? Not sure but it's definitely frustrating!

Edit: Google tells me it's not just E30's. Google also tells me that one temporary fix is to bend the 'pins' on the male socket to get them to fit better. Will give that a try.

Edited by Kepes

hello.. one more quick question.. every now and then i get a strong burning smell in the car... like clutch/rubber burn... not sure what could be the cause. i do notice that the little rubber stoppers under my bonnet are melted. wonder if this could be it. or something more serious...

Oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold from the rocker cover and or the brake vacuum pump

Oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold from the rocker cover and or the brake vacuum pump

thanks. this would explain the need for oil top ups huh? will have it looked at. appreciate the response.

Only thing i know under there is the heater control valve. Both sides of your heater working?

Can not replicate now BTW.

Odd.

so... fixed!

No need for the Universal German Car Repair Procedure:

fullsize-have-you-tried-turning-it-off-a

• Like 2

lol funny you mention that because both sides were stuck on hot today... and that didn't help with the cabin temps! But that's because my control unit is on the blink.

Pretty certain it was a relay constantly firing (rapid fire clicking) and none of them in the fuse box were going off (I felt each one). Have to admit I didn't check the 3 under the extra cover (fuel, DME and O2 sensor) but the car was running so I discounted them and as I say, that's not where the noise was coming from...

Can not replicate now BTW.

Odd.

Could be one or both of the heater valve solenoids clicking open and closed, they would do that under certain conditions.

Greeting,

I completed a compression test today because the engine is doing a few things that aren't quite right since I rebuild it a year ago.

It sometimes coughs bluish smoke after a hard drive and only at really high revs, it also gets a bit hotter than it should but I think my radiator and fan might just not be cutting the mustard.

anyway, my question was if this compression test is ok is could a leak down test show something completely different?

Test (I know it should be about 145psi but i'm guessing a $60 super cheap tester isn't quite accurate):

Cylinder #1 – 195psi

Cylinder #2 – 197psi

Cylinder #3 – 195psi

Cylinder #4 – 195psi

Cylinder #5 – 200psi

Cylinder #6 – 205psi

thoughts?

• Like 1

as long as its consistent across the cylinders its considered OK isnt it?

A valentine one radar detector. Seems to be a common problem with the E30's something about a different sized socket? Not sure but it's definitely frustrating!

Edit: Google tells me it's not just E30's. Google also tells me that one temporary fix is to bend the 'pins' on the male socket to get them to fit better. Will give that a try.

yep you got to put it in on the right angle as well or it will go in and short the plug out.

Probably the one time you want to convert to a japanese plug in there. i have thought about it many times. there was no universal one size fits all back then, because car chargers for stuff hadn't been invented yet.

Greeting,

I completed a compression test today because the engine is doing a few things that aren't quite right since I rebuild it a year ago.

It sometimes coughs bluish smoke after a hard drive and only at really high revs, it also gets a bit hotter than it should but I think my radiator and fan might just not be cutting the mustard.

anyway, my question was if this compression test is ok is could a leak down test show something completely different?

Test (I know it should be about 145psi but i'm guessing a $60 super cheap tester isn't quite accurate):

Cylinder #1 195psi

Cylinder #2 197psi

Cylinder #3 195psi

Cylinder #4 195psi

Cylinder #5 200psi

Cylinder #6 205psi

thoughts?

Those numbers are good.

that's good numbers for a high compression e28 type 535i engine

had similier numbers on a e28 535ia years ago with lowish k's

Quick one for you guys,

I am trying to identify the plug on the left side of this Automatic transmission, picked it up from someone who did a manual conversion a number of years ago so no chance of tracing the original plug / car.

It is for an M20 , going back into an E30 that was previously manual so no plug like it.

What is it, do I need it?

http://imgur.com/a/Wicss