E30stz

Quick Questions

Do E30 Facelift bumpers fit on a PFL car?

Similarly, would Facelift tail lights fit on a PFL car?

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Can't find this easily using google-fu.

Does anyone know which battery i'll require for an E36 2-button key fob? Similar to the below except obviously OEM key.

Currently at work and can't find a Philips small enough to pull it open, want to grab a battery on the way home.

ews2-2-button-remote.jpg

2016 You'll need 2

But no to F/L rear lights onto a pre. Totally different size.

Even F/L bumpers on a pre look disproportionate due to different lamp sizing & different rear guard height

• Like 1

But no to F/L rear lights onto a pre. Totally different size.

Even F/L bumpers on a pre look disproportionate due to different lamp sizing & different rear guard height

Oh f....lip.

Thanks. Forewarned is forearmed.

So m20b20/23/25.

Looks like i can't replace the stem seals without removing the head bolts, and possibly the entire head, as they seem to be holding everything together.

Is this correct?

I think I'd rather suffer the smoke than piss around pulling the head off an engine I'm probably going to replace with a stroker...

So m20b20/23/25.

Looks like i can't replace the stem seals without removing the head bolts, and possibly the entire head, as they seem to be holding everything together.

Is this correct?

I think I'd rather suffer the smoke than piss around pulling the head off an engine I'm probably going to replace with a stroker...

Can you run compressed air down the spark plug hole to do them on that motor?

How sure are you it's the stem seals? M20s vent the crank directly to the intake, sometimes it's just oily in the intake manifold and can leak down the intake boot too. Then you burn it all as you drive.

• Like 1

Can you run compressed air down the spark plug hole to do them on that motor?

Keeping the valves up isn't the problem, it's that the rocker.. er... clamp thingys that hold the rockers in... they seem to be held in place by the head bolts.

SOHC head, rockers seem to be on there own shafts which run both sides of the cam, all held in place by one set of bolts

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx4lH9GrTMsMrTqG0J1Y0e4_huEAv6ZWy-GabsANVXjdABCGNJUjI4_WOW

How sure are you it's the stem seals? M20s vent the crank directly to the intake, sometimes it's just oily in the intake manifold and can leak down the intake boot too. Then you burn it all as you drive.

It only happens during hard driving when I'm on and off the throttle a lot, as i come back on the throttle she puffs a big cloud or if i sit and idle for a few minutes then floor it she smokes hard.

This engine was allegedly rebuilt but they didn't touch a lot of areas, I'm wondering if stem seals is somewhere they 'missed' like the well buggered thermostat, dizzy rotor and cap, fuel filter... etc.

Stem seals can be done in situ but is a PITA.

Have not done myself in situ but many years ago I was going to attempt this on the E12 (M20)

I confirmed what you have found. Talking to the local dealers at the time, they confirmed they had a service tool to do the job so I gave it to them to do.

I have replaced them on other M20 engines since, but always when the head has been off.

Forgot to mention, other stem seal indictator was top of spark plugs being coated in oil more than bottoms, and shitloads of carbon build up on electrode

If you're going to be replacing the engine and smoke is pissing you off then get some stop smoke from super cheap. Not the best for your engine, but whatever.

E46 330i

If you hold down the ASC button, traction control goes out, shown with the triangle symbol in the middle of the dash, but if you continue to hold it a yellow e-brake light comes up

Does any one know what that indicates?

Not too sure if its the same but in the e39 if you hold the dsc button for 20 seconds it turns the dsc half on, meaning it will apply the brakes to prevent a skid but it doesnt cut the engine power.

I really need to start a PLOG/Shitlist for my E30 efforts... I drained my Radiator to replace the thermostat, there was so much gunk at the bottom of the radiator no fluid came out after removing the plug, some prodding with a thing screw driver detected & dislodged a sandy feeling substance.

Just sifting through the dreggs of the fluid... I need a second opinion, and suggestions.

post-1298-0-01485200-1445046925_thumb.jp

Is this sand? This looks a lot like sand... why the funk is there sand in the radiator? How does that happen?

I feel like removing and giving a proper flush to the radiator might be a good piece of preventative maintenance.

On a related note, now that the muck from the fuel filter has settled, it kinda looks like sand too, albeit finer sand...

post-1298-0-79284200-1445047787_thumb.jp

Edited by Charlie F.

^ is any of it magnetic?

Kinda looks that way... yeah.

post-1298-0-58144500-1445054700.jpg

It's not necessarily from the current motor which is an alleged recent rebuild.

Wow.

I'd dump the oil and check that for metal as well. If the oil is okay then flush the coolant and check it again in 1,000 kms.

Maybe someone has put a stop leak, along with other crap, into the cooling system

Have I got this right ? (e87 130)

No Push DTC button - Full stability control and traction control, "e diff" doing its thing. *yawn*

Push DTC button, Full stability control, traction control wound down (??) Assuming it still controls diff through braking the spinning wheel?

Hold DTC button, No stability control, no traction control, very open diff

Edited by Jacko

Have I got this right ? (e87 130)

No Push DTC button - Full stability control and traction control, "e diff" doing its thing. *yawn*

Push DTC button, Full stability control, traction control wound down (??) Assuming it still controls diff through braking the spinning wheel?

Hold DTC button, No stability control, no traction control, very open diff

E-Diff does not turn off. May be possible with coding.

DTC mode (single DTC button push) reduces thresholds for both TC and stability control.

If you have active steering, it will also kick in to do some steering corrections. This also can't be disabled.

Hydraulic steering,

Definitly turns the e diff off with the DTC button held down for a few seconds, seems like all that remains is ABS, behaves exactly like a very open diff

Maybe the functionality varies between models?

Edited by Jacko

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719012

Says it can't be turned off. It's not exactly like a limited slip diff I think, which is maybe why it felt like an open diff to you?

You can still have active steering with hydraulic steering BTW. Active steering is an option where it changes the steering ratio according to your speed. My 335i has it, really cool feature actually :)