Sign in to follow this  
pommy

what to buy

alright might seem like a daft question but Im thinking of buyin another beema but dont know whether to buy a coupe / or another 4 door any preferences ? cheers .

I suppose depending on how often you carry a passanger on back seat. I reckon 2-door bimmers are more proportion and better looking than its 4-door counterparts. That's just me though...

i think we need a little more information on your needs.I could suggest a E38 740,prolly the MOST car for your money!

Simple , one of each.

Personally I prefer the look of my coupe to the wifes 4 door. But when it comes to having more than one passenger , the 4 door wins hands down.

Can't argue - coupe for the looks, sedan for practicality, topless for fun.

If married and only car - sedan

If single and no need to carry loads - coupe

If either and just want another car for fun - convertible

If completely loopy - SUV

edited for crap typing on smegging laptop on knee ...

Edited by Jazzbass

alright might seem like a daft question but Im thinking of buyin another beema but dont know whether to buy a coupe / or another 4 door any preferences ? cheers .

Build a RACE-CAR from a Coupe,One Race Seat only [be totally Selfish and Self Indulgent]

thanks for your input, I dont know what I have in mind really like I said Ive had a 4 door which I do sort of miss! but like you say I hardly carry passengers therfore I do always just think It'll be good to have the extra room just in case!!

E36 coupes are ugly compared to a sedan in my opinion.

I will never own a coupe... inpractical and just plain ugly...

sedans look way beter and have more personality.

I ve been offered a 95 e36 320i Imported from my home land (England) so It will be a proper german w/ electric sunroof and all usual extra's! Im thinking I could buy it as I do like the e36 alot and drop a 328i engine in n Manual convert it ? then I ll have style,space and performance ( I wanna build a car thats classy and unique but have that umph if you get board) your thoughts would be good thanks..........

Unless the 320 is dirt cheap (read free), why bother? Just buy a 328. By the time you've bought all the bits, got them fitted etc, you will probably have spent about the same and have a bastard car with questionable resale.

It's not like 328s are expensive, a mate just bought a coupe, manual, Msport kit, NZ new with 120kms (that's 75k miles to you) for $10k.

My 2 cents.

(320i) = 2L 6 cylinder x fuel economy / cost of gas = bankrupt. At least in E30's they are anyway. Others may like to elaborate on whether this mirrors to the E36.

(320i) = 2L 6 cylinder x fuel economy / cost of gas = bankrupt. At least in E30's they are anyway. Others may like to elaborate on whether this mirrors to the E36.

Andy has roven that he passed 5th form Maths. :P

I suggest a E36 328 coupe for badassness, it depends on what kind of money you are looking at too.

Could you name a price bracket to narrow down the possibilities?

Guest Andrew

Unless the 320 is dirt cheap (read free), why bother? Just buy a 328. By the time you've bought all the bits, got them fitted etc, you will probably have spent about the same and have a bastard car with questionable resale.

It's not like 328s are expensive, a mate just bought a coupe, manual, Msport kit, NZ new with 120kms (that's 75k miles to you) for $10k.

My 2 cents.

Agreed -

I would never import a cheap car from England.

Don't forget import laws- frontal impact blah blah and the fact pre 96 3 series only have 1 airbag and even that original pre 96 system is non compliant (if you put dual bags in)................why not buy a weapon such as a M3 evo, because they're damned cheap(even with the NZ dollar being weakish) even on e-bay uk......or e46 328 or 330........just remember shipping will cost $2k-$3k fully insured but honestly worth it if you have good contacts, and I have a good shipping contact e-mail me if interested(v84all@xtra.co.nz) or ph 021330567

Agreed -

I would never import a cheap car from England.

Errrr why ?

Even with the problems I had when bringing mine over, Id DEFINATELY do it again. I got mine over here and on the road for around 20k when it wouldve cost you twice that to buy one here and you still wouldnt have had the wheels !

Im not saying 'do it' as a general rule but if its the right car at the right price and you can either get over there to have a play first or have someone there you trust then its an option definately worth considering.

Guest Andrew

Because an E36 320 of the year that pommy suggests (95) you can pick up here from around 5k .. It just doesn't make sense.

Jap imports - much better.

I did say CHEAP car.

I have an e36 320i.... and yeh you can see the fuel needle going down <_<

Well, I couldn't refuse the e36 as someone said unless its cheap its not worth doin anything to it! point taken I grabbed it with both hands for 5k . The cheapest 328i manual coupe ive found is 16k . so If I did do what I said I was gonna do (dream to do) to my new e36 it would be cheaper and german not jap surely german is better than jap! Ive been qouted 3k to convert to manual and was thinkin of a few things for it.

or I might just give it the misus cos she cant drive man, and save and buy a manual . Its just hard cos Ive got the car here now and Im itchin to do somethin to it.

Because an E36 320 of the year that pommy suggests (95) you can pick up here from around 5k .. It just doesn't make sense.

Jap imports - much better.

I did say CHEAP car.

Your quite right I wouldnt bring an e36 320 over which is why I said 'right car at the right price'.

Picking up a decent M5 for 15k pounds is another story :)