Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Anyone know a good broker or online sharetrading facility?

I have a nz share at an all-time high.

Need to expand share portfolio so plan to sell that share, add some cash I have on term deposit and diversify.

NZ dollar is high - world sharemarket low - perfect time to buy overseas shares.

Thinking a UK/Europe index fund, plus a UK/Europe fund with industry based in China, plus a US index fund plus an Australia index fund plus a NZ index fund.

Anyone know where I can go for either online share trading, or even better a broker who knows what they are doing who can suggest funds that will suit me.

Cheers

Edited by bravo

I trade on the NZX with ASB. Not so much FOREX anymore with software from fxcn.com

Overseas shares handled through westpac in a fund - they can do varying levels are brokerage for you.

Does ASB let you trade in indexes?

Indexes are for pussies.

NTDOY in the USA FTW.

First NZ Capital (through national bank) give yu access to FTSE and USA, but its quite exxy. $100US to get in plus fees

Edited by m325i

Indexes mean I don't have to pay all that much attention or do all that much research. My main passion is property, but with 80% of my portfolio in property I need something else - thus sharemarket indexes - diversification without having to do too much thinking.

I've looked at a couple of 1st NZ Cap funds (Claedonia Investments - CDN.NZ/CLDN.LN, RIT Capital Partners - RCP.LN, and Aberdeen New Dawn - ABD.LN) How do you find 1st NZ CAP as far as a securities firm goes?

Edited by bravo

noob question here..

Ill be pretty keen to start investing some money when i start full time work.

Ive always thought property would be the go but how do you get into it? Get a mortgage and once its paid you rent it out in turn semi paying for the next house? Continue this cycle until you have more houses and once you hit around 5 you will have all the houses + income from tenants giving you more 'free' houses or money to invest in other feilds?

Basically asking how do your really 'invest' money i.e trading etc?

Some of you seemed to be rather clued up so fill me in on the basics....

Cheers

Chris

Graham I do mine through asb too.

China is a very good move. I have money tide up in a Danish Company. Dumex baby milk formula China based. Lets just say it's doing things for my retirement B)

Also my Dad used to work for them but is now going into bussiness with a russian dairy co in the northern province of shinan bording with russia and mongolia. They have their own farms of up to 25,000 cows per farm and are currently building their own Spray drying plant to process and make their own milk powders for the local markets. I'm looking at throwing some money into this too. I'll message you grimey

Guest Denny Crane

Ive always thought property would be the go but how do you get into it? Get a mortgage and once its paid you rent it out in turn semi paying for the next house?

Rent it to pay for your mortgage, fool. Just don't let Taniel see you've bought a house, she'll expect a ring pretty soon after.

haha f**k that, she's sweet, not keen for marraige or kids...

Why do you think ive been with her for so long!!!

Rent it to pay for your mortgage, fool.

And that is what i was trying to say. You are right reading comprehension owns me!

Guest Denny Crane

Ah sweet, yea it makes no sense to wait until its paid for until renting, seeing as mortgages these days can be up to 50 years (!)

If all else fails, put it on black

Edit, when you're 20 that is, Chris :D

Edited by Denny Crane

haha not long to go!! :P

Ive been told thats when life really starts!!!! ahaha

haha not long to go!! :P

Ive been told thats when life really starts!!!! ahaha

Buy a house with a seperate garage. You live eat sleep and work on your cars in the garage, while the tenants pay for the house.

As with cars, if you can do a lot of the work on the house you making more when you sell. And if you don't really want to keep it, only do things to it that will ADD value.

I use Direct Broking's online service for sharetrading- they are excellent to deal with, good information on their website, market depth (always works unlike some!) good charts etc. Real people who answer their phones and can give you answers to whatever you throw at them. They also offer various funds you can invest in.

Thanks conrad - may give them a call.

Chris - check your PM.

I use Direct Broking's online service for sharetrading- they are excellent to deal with, good information on their website, market depth (always works unlike some!) good charts etc. Real people who answer their phones and can give you answers to whatever you throw at them. They also offer various funds you can invest in.

I am using asb online service wich is ok for trading nzx and my favourite nzax (alternative) am pretty keen to investigate direct broking. Cheers Conrad

A mate at work has had his 1st home for 6 months, done it up, and will be able to buy his 2nd soon with the equity, (what the house value gains with the modifications) thats a sweet way of making money if you have got time/motivation, as long as the property market keeps going steady.

Im going to the uk soon to work in I.T, and hopefully earn some good cash, then bring back e30 toys!! :D

Bravo, not sure what sort of league you are talking, but we use ABN Amro- Craigs, and it keeps us happy :)

A mate at work has had his 1st home for 6 months, done it up, and will be able to buy his 2nd soon with the equity, (what the house value gains with the modifications) thats a sweet way of making money if you have got time/motivation, as long as the property market keeps going steady.

Im going to the uk soon to work in I.T, and hopefully earn some good cash, then bring back e30 toys!! :D

Your right its a bloody good way to go, but I was hoping this thread ould point me in the right direction share-trading wise. I have property sussed - trust me - its part of my job. Fully respect what you are saying tho.

Nath - cheers for dropping the radio 'round - will PM you re: this.

Hahah - land surveyor - do subdivisions, supervise construction works, monitoring work, resource management/consents, topographical surveys for design etc.

Edited by bravo

I use ABN Amro- Craigs as well.

I found the amount of work you get out of your broker is directly related to the amount of money you put through them. Especially when strating out.

As you would expect!

So if you can get introduced to a broker by someone who does put a lot of money through you will find, you probably get a lot more out of them, even though your not putting through the big dollars yet.

Any trader can buy and sell for you, so if that is all you want go for the lowest commision.

If it is good advise your after, ignore the commision.