Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

I need about | THIS MUCH | room (50-70mm) to get the pipes down :S.

|------------Do it this way----------|

Edited by Pjay

Woo, so I got the knuckle off.

Then this happened. Well actually it happened a while ago, just forgot about it completly.

So headers will have to wait till tommorow till I can figure out how to get it out.

Also, don't buy cheap POS chinese screw extractors from Mitre ten and the like. I dont have a pic but now there is a snapped stud with a snapped screw puller in it. Drill bits are too sh*t to get it out and cant get pliers around em. Gah

post-1246-1249275708_thumb.jpg

Anyone got any bright ideas on how to get it out/get a new one in?

Cant get anything into it. Its in the block now.

Couldnt help myself today on my lunch break so I said I had "things to do" so got off work for an hour.

And did this.

post-1246-1249363802_thumb.jpg

Hey bro did you have to do much modifying to get these to fit ? im getting my set on the weekend hopefully <_<

Nope, drop steering linkage and wriggle it in.

The exhaust will leak if you dont replace the broken stud

There is a correct way to remove broken studs.... with a broken easy out in there, you have got quite a problem now

drill it out maybe?? :S

A drill will not drill out a broken easy out...both are hardened steel

hmmmm cant think of anything else then :S who knows??

Indeed, found that out.

Any other ways of getting it out?

Indeed, found that out.

Any other ways of getting it out?

Depends what tool you used, how you used it ... I'd need to have a look with the manifold off.

You might now have to remove the head, replace it , or get the stud & easy out spark eroded to remove it.

What sort of mess have you made of it all ??.... photos would help

Will try to get some photos tommorow night. I'm thinking trying a cobalt bit and drilling an 8mm hole and tapping a thread into that?

Can I not weld another stud into the hole and grind it so it's as flush as possible, or will it still not be enough and leak too much?

Head's ali, so can't weld a stud in there. As Glenn says, either get it out, or live without it, or get a new head, or you may be able to fit a new thread if you can get it out without too much damage.

What will not having the stud in there do? Just sound like a tractor?

What will not having the stud in there do? Just sound like a tractor?

The problem is...you wont get a WOF with an exhaust leak. Without seeing it, I would say your next option is to remove the head and get the broken bits spark erroded from the head by an engineering company.

The secret to removing these broken studs is to drill them dead centre right down through to the end of the stud, first with a 3mm drill bit. I have a special variable speed right angle drive drill for this purpose. Then drill it out to 5mm right to the end as well. This takes pressure off the threads. Then spray inside with Rostoff Ice (a Wurth product) and use a very good quality twist type easy out (ours are German) Only use a 4" crescent on the easy out to remove it or you'll break the easy out. If the stud is stubborn, remove the easy out and heat the stud with a gas torch and hit it with the Rostoff again, let it cool and try again. I very rarely need to use heat. If you drill right through the stud and take the pressure off the threads they normaly come out quite easy. The secret is to get a centre on the stud first before drilling.. it must be 100% accurate. When the studs break, they quite often dont allow you to get an accurate centre. I use a round burr first to give me a good area to get a centre punch onto the stud. When you start to drill, take your time and keep checking (with a mirror) that you are dead centre. If not, you can manipulate the drill on a slight angle to correct the centre line when you first start drilling. Once its dead centre drill away, making sure you are drilling at an accurate right angle to the mounting surface. Make sure you have good lighting and a mirror helps to check your getting the centre right. This proceedure can be used for all broken studs. This is the same proceedure we used to do Nissan V6's years ago. The Maxima's gave similar problems with broken exhaust studs. If you do cock it up, you can always fit an 8mm helicoil. If you break an easy out in the stud, its HEAD OFF

If the stud is protruding, you can Mig or Tig weld a nut on it and try. If it breaks of flush when trying to undo it, use the above proceedure.

BTW: You must use good quality, sharp drill bits and dont use alot of speed on the drill. And... TAKE YOUR TIME or you could always pay me to do it :D Next time I do one I'll take pictures and post it up in the project or maintanence section

I wonder if we should "Sticky" this ??

Edited by *Glenn*

Awesome writeup, thanks Glenn.

Here is where I cocked it up.

I didn't take my time.

I didnt drill right the way to the end of the stud with a 3mm then a 5mm.

I didn't use a right angled drill.

I didn't use the Wurth product.

I DID use cheap crap easy outs.

I DID have a stack of beer to drink so therefore DIDN'T take my time.

All in all it was a big f**k up and not I have to take the head off.

FML

Edited by Indecorous

Your learning grasshopper :P

We all learn by our mistakes in life

If it was easy, everyone would do it. That is my Dads favourite saying to me when I muck something up.

Right small update.

-Tech 2 bits have been primed and have found some sort of sideskirts that will fit nicely and look the part.

-Wiring mess has all been tidied up.

-All glass out, lexan copies being made up now as well as sunroof panel.

-Just finished spraying the inside (note time) and somehow matt black penis's have appeared all over the panels of the car. Don't paint while drinking before going out.

-Car is booked for cage and a bunch of other bits on Monday.

Party time.

Studs are pita with those headers, managed to break 2 during my rebuild so left 2 studs in for mounted & replaced the rest with bolts, best thing i ever did.

Car is being picked up for cage tonight.Terrible weather, so am going to have to cover everything up somehow for the trailer trip <_< .

post-1246-1250389426_thumb.jpg

post-1246-1250389462_thumb.jpg

post-1246-1250389495_thumb.jpg

post-1246-1250389525_thumb.jpg