Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

Small electrical fire...

Facepalm!

Edited by KSMYRS

Lol.

One of the terminals off the exterior kill switch seemed to slip a lil bit and ground itself onto the little bar behind the windscreen wipers. FML.

Oh well, shouldnt be too much work to fix. Famous last words aye.

Semi cool update with pics to come when I can get enough internet horsepower to upload pictures.

Taken subframe apart and tidied them up, repainted in epoxy gloss black. Look sweet.

New non- f**ked diff, have customised it with some MIG and steel :D. LSD will go in when it's rebuilt.

Installed AKG 75D engine mounts and gearbox mounts. They are bloody awesome, and at the same time have sorted my problem with the headers rubbing on the steering knuckle. Pieca piss to do too.

The most awesome thing I have put onto this car so far is definitly this

AKG DTM stage 2 shifter and Delrin knob.

The throw in this thing is amazing. And it sits up nice and high.

Subframe is off to Bavarian tomorrow to get the bushes pressed in, then wait for the ground control order then panel/paint then done!

Will post pics as soon as poss

Epic win update. I <3 the shifter. Keep rolling son! Wana see it out on the track asap.

BTW: Epoxy paint isn't great for your health, how do I know, painting my floor in the E30 atm with it :wacko: smells good though :D

Edited by Forrest

its looking f-dx_xb-king sweet. Even better when its done. Looks like you're doing it all properly.. cage is pretty damn intense. Good on ya bro.

Nathan- lol I work in a paint store... Got the decent respirators and it's not a problem, parents don't really like me anymore though.

Andy- was good catching up with ya mate, the cage should hopefully be adequite if I stack into something...not that I'm going to try to.

Work at Toben home and decor.

Come see me for wicked trade prices.

Lol.

One of the terminals off the exterior kill switch seemed to slip a lil bit and ground itself onto the little bar behind the windscreen wipers. FML.

Oh well, shouldnt be too much work to fix. Famous last words aye.

General tip when working on cars even though your not anywhere near the electrical system, disconnect and remove the battery.

Saves so much heart ache.

Glad to see you have all your stuff! :)

Damn, no car paint then ha?

Can get resene car paint. Never used it so can't really comment on how good it is.

Got a mate at PPG though, PM me when your ready

General tip when working on cars even though your not anywhere near the electrical system, disconnect and remove the battery.

Saves so much heart ache.

Glad to see you have all your stuff! :)

Yeah the battery was off when I was working on it... went up in flames when I went to test drive it :(

Pics as promised :D Think the are self explanatory.

post-1246-1264406351.jpg

post-1246-1264406379.jpg

post-1246-1264406400.jpg

post-1246-1264406426.jpg

post-1246-1264406457.jpg

post-1246-1264406511.jpg

post-1246-1264406543.jpg

Ok will try label pics as requested also.

People that have been PMing me calling me a dumbarse saying that the Sub frame bushes are nolathane...f**k you, they are 75D, I don't know why they are red.

1. Subframe shiny bits.

2. 75D subframe bushes.

3. Also got new ball joints on all the control arms... did the steering arms too but no pic.

4. More delrin...Diff hanger.

5. Offset Delrin CAB's

6. Ohhh this is a mount I had to re-do for the exhaust. Works much better now...I think :S

7.Delrin Gearbox mounts installed. Obviously.

8.This is what the stage 2 shifter looks like from under neath... minus the rubber boot.

9. Another exhaust mount that I needed to make.

10.Delrin Engine mount

11. Same thing.

12. This is my car.

13.Shifter!

14.Shifter!!

15. Mine is bigger than yours.

16.Also added new mounts to the exhaust. And painted it.

As you can see, the wiring still needs to be tidied up/finished off. Will sort out some sort of fluid for the locked diff tommorow and start throwing it all back together.

While on the topic- is there any sort of oil that is better for lockers? I know that sounds whorry, but I remember some one saying that if you put xxx xx oil into it, it works better?

People that have been PMing me calling me a dumbarse saying that the Sub frame bushes are nolathane...f**k you, they are 75D, I don't know why they are red.

urethane = the material the bush is made from 75D is the grade of the urethane

nolathane = a company that sells urethane/polyurethane suspension components.

the 75D actually refers to the Durometer of the material - learn here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

the color is just a dye added to it, just like all the powerflex bushes are yellow or purple.

Edited by DRTDVL

While on the topic- is there any sort of oil that is better for lockers? I know that sounds whorry, but I remember some one saying that if you put xxx xx oil into it, it works better?

Red Line Shockproof oil has been recommended to me by a lot of oversea's racers - but it's not cheap

#12 is hella winner as son! really don't have much to go. Interior looks so badass business like especially with the ginormous shifter, or is that what she said :unsure:

Good stuff man this is gonna be mint. My favourite project on here atm.

Dunno if it is a stupid question or not but are you going to leave it road legal?

Edited by Forrest

Heath, your answer is pretty much what I said back. After f**k you.

I will tryyyy to keep it road legal and with what I've done to it, it shouldn't be a problem with the right certification,authority cards etc etc.

Can't imagine it being a very pleasant drive to work in traffic though...

I mean't more in the fact of being able to drive to the track of your choice as opposed to trailer + tow car.