Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Wanted: 02-03 BMW M5 (e39) OR 02-06 BMW M3 (e46)

Import one that's virtually unused - 26,000kms - http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...m41hs?logcode=p

I looked at this however my understanding is that these cars no longer meet frontal impact laws and cannot be complied and road registered in NZ any more? - can someone please confirm?

I agree with you guys regarding the km's of a certain car. From what I have test driven - 2005 BMW M3 UK Import with 50,000 km on the clock - interior was damaged and worn, car had significant rust underneath and engine bay rust, some of the electrics like outside temperature and range etc did not work.

Compared with my current 2003 530i 130,000 kms NZ NEW, which is absolutely perfect in every way - everything works.

And going back to my older cars, a couple have ticked over 200,000km with no issues.

I currently do around 25,000 - 30,000 km a year in my car, and ideally like to keep a car for 2-3 years. The problem I see with buying a higher km car is that by the time I'm finished with it, it will be over 200,000 km and from what I can tell, these are very hard to sell and unappealing to most buyers.

As I mentioned anyway - I am open to discussion over higher km examples too, especially NZ New with full service history.

Cheers

^^ wow. that is approaching E60 M5 prices.... wait , it is already more expensive than that.

^ The laws do not necessarily apply to SIV category cars

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factshee...t-vehicles.html

Edited by The Juggernaut

I would actually think you would be better off with a well maintained high km model, it will depreciate less in the long run as they have already hit near rock bottom.

Good point! I guess with having so few to look at on Trademe etc that it is hard for me to compare prices of old vs new ones (in e39 shape).

Almost saved enough money now for E60 M5. Is this worth considering? Has anyone here gone from E39 M5 to E60 M5? Your thoughts?

I looked at this however my understanding is that these cars no longer meet frontal impact laws and cannot be complied and road registered in NZ any more? - can someone please confirm?

Can't find the thread but someone on here recently imported and complied an E39 M5 from the UK under the 'special interest' vehicles rules.

Almost saved enough money now for E60 M5. Is this worth considering? Has anyone here gone from E39 M5 to E60 M5? Your thoughts?

I've heard the fuel consumption could drain a small Middle Eastern country but the drive is insane. Pity they're so bloody ugly!

Not first hand experience but a friends dad owns an e60 m5 and from what he's told me, that thing eats petrol like crazy maybe get 350kms to a tank of gas!

^^ wow. that is approaching E60 M5 prices.... wait , it is already more expensive than that.

^ The laws do not necessarily apply to SIV category cars

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factshee...t-vehicles.html

Personally I would have a E39 M5 over a E60 M5 regardless of cost and have speculated before that the E39 M5 will eventually be worth more than the E60. Could be wrong but I cant see the E60 as desirable, its ugly, thirsty and mammoth complex and expensive to maintain.

Personally I would have a E39 M5 over a E60 M5 regardless of cost and have speculated before that the E39 M5 will eventually be worth more than the E60. Could be wrong but I cant see the E60 as desirable, its ugly, thirsty and mammoth complex and expensive to maintain.

Quite possibly! The E60 has the Bangle issues pretty bad... very vegemite, though more seem to hate than like. I'd have to skip the E60 entirely, and go F10, though I'm not sure I ever want a car that complex!

I think there are a few e39 M5 owners like me out there. The car for fills our needs. I don't like the E60 at all.

I can't afford a F10. yet.

So I'm happy to potter around. The e39 M5 gets great gas milage, still looks good and It's fast enough.

I think there are a few e39 M5 owners like me out there. The car for fills our needs. I don't like the E60 at all.

So I'm happy to potter around. The e39 M5 gets great gas milage, still looks good and It's fast enough.

agree,only E39 has manual.E60 paddle shift.and F10 manual only in US

Hear hear. My E39 540's faster than I am, so an E39 M5 would more than meet my needs and probably always would unless I miraculously became an expert on the track.

Still hoping I can match a stock M5's performance with the 540i for less than the cost of an M5 but I keep getting sidetracked by repairs :blink:

Still hoping I can match a stock M5's performance with the 540i for less than the cost of an M5 but I keep getting sidetracked by repairs :blink:

i'd be happy to line up for a comparison anytime Julian.

Looser buys beers.

Edited by M5V8

i'd be happy to line up for a comparison anytime Julian.

Looser buys beers.

Ha! I think it'll be some time before I can compete, not least because I'm not the world's greatest driver but also most of the performance upgrades I'd planned are on hold until my mechanical warranty has run out . Thinking that it would be a major PITA if I charged the engine and it blew up or the tranny gave way and my insurance was void.

Would be fun taking both cars out for a cruise some time though!

Have taken on board all the suggestions above. Many thanks.

I looked into importing one under SIV (special interest vehicles), of which VTNZ allow 200 per year. This years allocation is already used up, and the queue for next years allocation is almost full apparently. Not to mention that I would need to find a perfect rust-free example from UK or similar, which could prove difficult.

I hear what you're all saying about the E39 M5 - for me this would be IDEAL!

I am a 'driver' and drive my cars properly (my other car is a 400hp nissan drift car, and have been to the race track many times). This is kind of why the fuel economy and 'harsh' gear shifts of the E60 doesn't really bother me. However the fact there is no manual option and the fact its common and 'ugly' don't appeal to me in the slightest.

I really only considered it because I, as well as many others it seems, have been on the look out for the E39 M5 of my dreams for a very long time now. - All you guys posting who have one... DAMN YOU :P

Will keep looking around - I kind of regret not buying Tristan's blue M3 a few weeks ago :\

I really only considered it because I, as well as many others it seems, have been on the look out for the E39 M5 of my dreams for a very long time now. - All you guys posting who have one... DAMN YOU :P

I hear that. I'm even more particular and would like an original red E39 M5. Ray (HellBM) has got a crashed one - how gutted was I to see that?! - at least I know the S62 will go to a good home in an E46 M3!!

I hear that. I'm even more particular and would like an original red E39 M5. Ray (HellBM) has got a crashed one - how gutted was I to see that?! - at least I know the S62 will go to a good home in an E46 M3!!

Haha, damn, don't tell me about crashed ones :'(

Does anyone on here own a Maserati Quattroporte? They are in the exact same price range as E60 M5.

- All you guys posting who have one... DAMN YOU :P

:ph34r:

Dont worry, most just own normal E39's and like to romanticize that they are remotely close to a M5 in the way they drive ;)

Haha, damn, don't tell me about crashed ones :'(

Does anyone on here own a Maserati Quattroporte? They are in the exact same price range as E60 M5.

Lol, they were falling apart when they were new. Would only recommend one as a weekend car, would not plan on putting huge millage on one, service costs will kill you, they are a 4-door Ferrari.. Also, you only want the face-lift model with the proper automatic.

Quite possibly! The E60 has the Bangle issues pretty bad... very vegemite, though more seem to hate than like. I'd have to skip the E60 entirely, and go F10, though I'm not sure I ever want a car that complex!

I don't think the E60 is a bad looking car, I just think the M5 version is a bit bulbous, its the only M-Car that looks worse than the normal M-Sport IMHO.

The E39 M5 is now a contemporary classic, classy and driven by people in the know ;)

Dont worry, most just own normal E39's and like to romanticize that they are remotely close to a M5 in the way they drive ;)

I've always been a dreamer... I realised long ago that I will never be as fast as an M5 so it probably doesn't matter that much that I can't afford one!

DaveO : have you considered this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-613489372.htm

I saw a note on the auction saying that he has bought another car, so this needs to go. I could take a look at it for you as it's not too far away from me.

Yeah, he's a member on here I think by the name of Lachie. I saw this recently on TM and it had a note saying he'd accept offers over $24K - pretty reasonable!!

It could easily soak up a few grand though on maintenance if you want it running perfectly. But i'm sure it's a really good example.

It could easily soak up a few grand though on maintenance if you want it running perfectly. But i'm sure it's a really good example.

Cheers mate, I have indeed seen that one on trademe, was told I could buy it for 26.5k. (I wonder if I could get for less if the guy is on these forums ;)?)

I had really hoped for a 2002/2003 (facelift one) as the changes made in the facelift really appeal to me. Even things like the leather seats are different, steering wheel thinner, non-LED taillights) Also the kilometers are fairly high (I understand what has been said about a well maintained high km one being better than poorly maintained low km one).

However, as someone mentioned, this one would likely hardly depreciate at all, as long as I keep up the maintenance and condition of the car (which I would).

I might go check it out sometime this week.