Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Andy's Calypsot E30 Convertible

Nice work Andy! Personally on the 325i badge i think i would have left it on.

Nice work Andy! Personally on the 325i badge i think i would have left it on.

+1

Great call on the brake light delete.

I think the spoiler is a little out of place but the car looks nice with or without it

Love this car. Get some plastic polish on those tail lights.

Looks super clean. Have you thought about tinting the indicators red?

I like the high stop light :(

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Love this car. Get some plastic polish on those tail lights.

Looks super clean. Have you thought about tinting the indicators red?

yes have thought about doing them red but i have seen so many very terrible jobs (in my opinion). also need to do the E34 and the Hiace. What products do you both recommend?

Looking good, You need to tooth brush those weaves though :blink:

aint no body got time fo dat

well maybe when i have three weeks off i will refurb them

That spoiler is looking super nice Andy, you've just beaten me to the punch for recent tech1 on E30 cabs! Having only seen one on Rowan's lowered cab it is certainly useful to see another one on more standard heights.

(I'm currently respraying my little panel for the 3rd time, having had a tiny bit of experience painting and detailing my OCD is becoming a nightmare as I try to match the amount of orange peel in the clearcoats. I can see it a little in your picture as well. Aerosol clear is pretty awful for orange peel, but being able to walk in and buy an aerosol of cirrusblau is pretty great.)

More pics of your interior and the new spoiler? Cheers!

Hi Andy you could'nt resist having a play with it could you haha :P. Comparing the before and after pic's ( IMO ) looks good without the spoiler makes the boot look heavy and wrecks the smooth line it had, what would it look like if the spoiler was colour matched?. If not reguired for a WOF then yes the third brake light needed to go as for the badge it makes it cleaner looking again a personal choice, was it an option on e30s like some of the later models?.

As for a manual converse what do you prefere, what plans do you have for the car keep, sell on to make a few $$, what would be your target market if you did or didn't convert etc. After all that well done it does look nice and tidy hope you are able to enjoy it as the weather warms up.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

yes have thought about doing them red but i have seen so many very terrible jobs (in my opinion). also need to do the E34 and the Hiace. What products do you both recommend?

aint no body got time fo dat

well maybe when i have three weeks off i will refurb them

If you don't have time to clean your wheels I would not worry about the lights.

I just use a Mothers headlight restoration kit, just the buffer drill attachment and the polish, brings old lights up like new.

Awesome Car!

If you do end up wanting to convert it to manual, I have a G260 Box that the seller I got it from claimed to only have around 85,000k's (was removed from a Motorsport Tech 2 E30) he said he purchased it from Ray at Hellbm, so its likely to be true.

Hi Andy you could'nt resist having a play with it could you haha :P. Comparing the before and after pic's ( IMO ) looks good without the spoiler makes the boot look heavy and wrecks the smooth line it had, what would it look like if the spoiler was colour matched?. If not reguired for a WOF then yes the third brake light needed to go as for the badge it makes it cleaner looking again a personal choice, was it an option on e30s like some of the later models?.

As for a manual converse what do you prefere, what plans do you have for the car keep, sell on to make a few $$, what would be your target market if you did or didn't convert etc. After all that well done it does look nice and tidy hope you are able to enjoy it as the weather warms up.

yes the boot lid is physically heavy too, the e30 convertibles use gas struts instead of torsion bars to open and close the boot, worked before when just one of them was working, but now its too heavy for just the one to support so replacing the strut thats blown, bits are on their way from Pelican. But the tech1 is definitely staying, i think its much much better. To me, E30s just have to have a rear spoiler, im yet to see an E30 i haven't thought needed one if it doesnt have one. but it does need a nice low mounted one because with the roof down you dont want to kill that flat line along the top of the doors out to the boot lid

Yes the car is supposed to have the high stop brake light. i will do something about that before the next WOF and come up with a new solution. I just hate the stock high stop, its an afterthought and it shows. need a much more descrete version, i do have an idea for that, just need to get some bits and work it out how its going to work.

Id like to tell you that i dont know if i will keep or pass it on, but i think everyone on this board and myself know i dont think i will be letting it go. you can't drive the lower mortgauge can you.

If you don't have time to clean your wheels I would not worry about the lights.

I just use a Mothers headlight restoration kit, just the buffer drill attachment and the polish, brings old lights up like new.

Haha, I do have time to clean them really. Just cbf doing it if they are going to be filthy again after i drive on them for 100km (or less). will change the pads when i take the suspension apart and put some low dust ones in if they really exist, then i will clean the wheels ha.

But awesome, i will use the product you say and post results!!

Awesome Car!

If you do end up wanting to convert it to manual, I have a G260 Box that the seller I got it from claimed to only have around 85,000k's (was removed from a Motorsport Tech 2 E30) he said he purchased it from Ray at Hellbm, so its likely to be true.

Thanks bud will keep it in mind

Sorry have just seen this post. Very nice cab!

thanks mate!

yeah seeing it side by side with my V12 Touring, its hard to pick a favourite.

How did you find the boot space during your long trip? I think it carries enough stuff for 1, slightly packed trying to fit things for 2 people. Had to put stuff in back seat.

Although really, cabrios can carry infinite things.

Looking at your photos again I'm pretty torn between 15" weaves or 16" BBS reps!

yes was ok, for just myself which is all that was in the car. but i also took a set of golf bats and my usual E30 survival kit consisting of socket set jack jackstands, plyers and a big fkn hammer, but i didnt need any of that :D

There is no way luggage is going on my back seat though lol

• Like 1

Ha, the only luggage on mine were pillows, sleeping bags, jackets and towels!

Yup, very nice... great colour, I would love another E30. I'll probably heading towards a 5 series touring next.... gives me an excuse to ditch our old Terrano :)

Yup, very nice... great colour, I would love another E30. I'll probably heading towards a 5 series touring next.... gives me an excuse to ditch our old Terrano :)

Cheers mate!!

shameless plug: i have this one i will do a good deal on

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=682768739

took this picture today.

would have been better with a proper camera but i dont own one, iPhone 4S whhhaatt. If anyone is bored and whats to 'shop this for me would be cool! bring the colour out of the car a but more etc

IMG_1233_zps4c7dd7f6.jpg

What did you lower it with? Ha, looks almost too low, like mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What did you lower it with? Ha, looks almost too low, like mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Eibach Springs and Billy sports for a 325i sedan, so probably a wee bit lower than they usually would be due to the extra weight that seems to be noted on the internet.

its about perfect where i want it. Low enough to get the look right, while still being very much drivable.

Ill try find a better picture, i cam-whore this car enough, there must be something

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_