Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Andy's Calypsot E30 Convertible

Sure. I look forward to seeing it in person one day! Have pretty much looked the crap out of the ones my friends own already

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sure. I look forward to seeing it in person one day! Have pretty much looked the crap out of the ones my friends own already

Yup happy to bring it up at some stage! I generally take either the Hiace or the V12 to auckland when i head there, as i almost always try to tie in some business at the same time. Keep the KMs off this car, and other two can fit a hell of a lot more gear in the back etc. But if you give me a reason i can come through for the weekend! has to be a saturday afternoon event though, as a trip to auckland always includes a written off Sunday morning before heading home, its a dangerous place lol

Sure, I'll make sure we can get at least all 4 of the cab owners I frequently see together to make it worthwhile.

One day!

Photo Drop inbound

IMG_0986_zps47096cec.jpg

IMG_0984_zps51ff221e.jpg

IMG_0985_zps27a92f84.jpg

And these ones from Hard Park

2P7A5637.jpg

• Like 1

That last picture is awesome. With the badges and stuff, sweet.

Probably sacrilege, but a tech2 conversion for your cab would be most excellent. You gonna let that tech1 sit there and out-tech you at Hard Park?

That last picture is awesome. With the badges and stuff, sweet.

Probably sacrilege, but a tech2 conversion for your cab would be most excellent. You gonna let that tech1 sit there and out-tech you at Hard Park?

yeah, had that front ///M badge kicking around here for years, waiting for a car worthy to put it on.

That Tech1 is Chris's "slideways", its a nice car!

No, wont be going Tech2 on this car. Have done the Tech2 thing before on my first E30. as far as looks go its exactly where i want it now, with the 318iS/325iS front lip and the tech1 spoiler etc. except thinking about the wheels, looking at importing a set of brand new and genuine 16" Borbet Type As for it. Borbet have recently started making them again, but are not offering the flat caps they used to in the 80s and 90s, and i personally think the hex caps slaughter an otherwise gorgeous wheel.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

No mention of the S62 swap or is that still a secret?

LOL give the game away, leave a brother some secrets!!

Bags your "minty fresh"!

Photo Drop inbound

IMG_0986_zps47096cec.jpg

IMG_0984_zps51ff221e.jpg

IMG_0985_zps27a92f84.jpg

And these ones from Hard Park

2P7A5637.jpg

Damn Andy, that does look exceptionally good.

Love the wheel / tyre combination, looks very suited to the era.

Well an update well due! a fair amount of developments on this car over the last wee while!

And a big help from a few important people to thank!

Sam @ Attention to Detail

Brent @ BM World

Hans @ Chemcouriers/Mainfreight

Those of you that have been following me here and on other media are well aware of me wanting a set of Borbet Type As for more than 6 years, since I got my very first E30. During the first few years i searched high and low, then in the breif interlude where I was more focused on my E34, i started looking intensely again about 18 months ago when I brought this car.

I finally found a set via the Facebook page a few of us on here manage, and Ryan was happy to pick them up from Tauranga and bring them up to Auckland for me.

Well, wheels aquired, time for another trip up! and time to decide which tyres I want to run

So about a month a go I drove my E30 to Auckland, drove the whole way without a complaint, proud of my little car!

After staying at a very questionable backpackers, I then continued north to pick up my new wheels from Ryan (thanks again!)

and then went to a tyre outfit to pick out some tyres, and ended up going with Continental Premium Contact 2s, OEM for lots of brand new Euro cars of the same weight.

test fitted the wheels and yep as expected, fronts hit the calipers and needed some spacers.

Plenty of time for that decided to sort next time Im up, left the car in Auckland for two weeks, in the care of Sam @ Attention to Detail, sot that it could recieve the love and care that the car deserves!

Euro Car Club meet was two weeks later

How do I get myself, and my puppy back to Auckland?

Hans, happy to help as always, gave me a ride to Auckland in his Iveco Stralis, what a cool truck, and being in a vehicle more literally 20x the size I am used to was very cool, yet different to what I was expecting! Slow, bumpy etc, no way. All the comforts of a car, and 2400Nm or so kept everything moving just fine!

Took a couple of cool photos at the changeover in Turangi

8BB28BFC-F953-4D27-AE26-65D18958D482_zps

10C3AC80-4C1B-4AEB-BD2F-655C1DBF8C7A_zps

11AADC35-FFD6-4FAB-A5BA-808741F6E10B_zps

Once back to Auckland after driving through the night, first job was to find some spacers

Brent at BM World only too happy to help, as always. Cannot recommend enough.

Couldn't wait any longer, and fitted the wheels in his yard, to finally see what the car was going to look like!

(while I was there for an hour or so, 3 of his customers asking me if the car had been repainted, this just after Sam had cut the car, and hadnt even finished cleaning it yet!!)

Then off to the ECC meet the following day.

Phenominal turnout, such a range of vehicles! well worth every KM of coming up, and encourage you all no matter where you are to attend the next one!

Some photos of my E30 from the meet, you can see photos of other cars etc on the ECC club page

10703692_10152745073242138_4161372985985

10628401_10152745072742138_7483095944938

1525121_516656885136502_8689869576426389

^^ Love that last photo of my boy and the car, have got a high res of it I want to get blown up

After all that, drive back home and get to test out the Continental Tyres

Initially, thought they were pretty rubbish, especially in the wet, but after a few hundred km and they were scrubbed in, started to be pleased with them. Done more than 1000kms on them now, and they are okay, but not worth the price premium. Potenza RE001s are better (what i have on the weaves for this car) so RE002 should be better again, ance cheaper.

after all that driving, put it in the garage back home to have a rest for a few weeks!

Then pulled it out this weekend just passed, and did a few mods, and fixed some stuff, as below

(copied from other thread)

534B9DF5-1EF4-4248-BC24-659167049A2F_zps

took out the stock bulb light bar from the OBC, bit of a mission to get out. opened it up had a look, the two bulbs are 6V bulbs in series, so if one pops (as is the case with this one), the other doesnt go thier. So i soldered in some 3mm LEDs in there and a 330ohm resistor, had to trim the curcuit board holder a bit to accomodate the resistor, and then put it all back together, now I have light! and yes it is 19 degrees here at 6.15pm here, I love summer! was 22.5 earlier today, my thermometer in the conservatory said it was 34 inside and 24 outside.

Then while the radio was out anyways (you need to to get access to the light bar), i made a little mod to the radio wiring loom that has been annoying me from day one of having the car. When the roof is down, and the radio is on, the aerial is deployed at full extension, so i have put a push button in above the stereo that interupts the deploy curcuit, and leaves the antenna down even when the radio is on, and when reception is bad, i can just hit the press button and it will deploy. Would like to get a little picture of the symbol for an aerial somehow printed on it but not sure how to tackle that

I thought about tapping into the rear demister curcuit wiring and picking up a feed from there if the roof is up or down, the rear demistor automatically turns off if the roof is down, so would do the inverse and sence when the roof is up, the aerial can be deployed regardless of switch position, but Ill save that for another day, as i needed to put center console back together to take the car to the Wellington meet tomorrow!

Then on the day of the Wellington meet on Sunday just passed, I gave it a clean in the morning, to reveal Sam @ Attention to Details work once more, then off to the meet!

pretty overcast day, so photos not great, so i wont post here, but was a great afternoon

• Like 3

awesome! whist reading thing i was first thinking, oh no.. another e30 on borbets, especially cuz your vert looked so good with the weaves! but once i scrolled down and saw the photos, was all good. glad you went with a proper tyre setup instead of some stretch nonsense.. and also kudos for getting normal sized spacers lol. could do with a few more mm's out at the rear?

edit: your dog is awesome. pretty sure i said that on some other thread but yea.. he looks badass

Edited by QUBE

Looking good, I like the wheels. And Sam's done an awesome job, might have to take my car to him once it's fixed. :D

awesome! whist reading thing i was first thinking, oh no.. another e30 on borbets, especially cuz your vert looked so good with the weaves! but once i scrolled down and saw the photos, was all good. glad you went with a proper tyre setup instead of some stretch nonsense.. and also kudos for getting normal sized spacers lol. could do with a few more mm's out at the rear?

edit: your dog is awesome. pretty sure i said that on some other thread but yea.. he looks badass

I am not a fan of stretch and never have been

why anyone would want a tyre mounted the way its not designed to be mounted, combined with it is usually cheap chinese tyres to start with is beyond me. I care more for my life than looks

I am also anti spacers as a rule, but I made sure these would still allow the wheel to be hubcentric-ally mounted.

re rear ofset, would love to get a set of the 9" version of these wheels and run a staggered setup, and sell the other staggered setup. These are currently 7.5 all round

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

staggered fitment would look good...

btw did u get the flat centres made up? im sure i saw something on either here or somewhere else about it.. memory escapes me though..

btw did u get the flat centres made up?

Yes half way through making them.

Genuine ones have been NLA for over 20 years now, and although Borbet themselves have rereleased the Borbet Type A, they have done so with hex caps as the only option.

Cutting them out was the easy part, and as it sits now. I bolted them on to the car to have a look and they have stayed there ever since.

But I am going to have "BORBET" laser etched into them, and then painted, so they will be the same as genuine ones, a bit like this:

Borbet.jpg

by the way thats the 9" version so you can see what sort of dish i will be getting, IF I find a set, have been looking for 6 years off and on so i dont like my chances

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Looks good. The dish on those 9" wide is insane!! Will it clear the brakes without spacers?

Looks good. The dish on those 9" wide is insane!! Will it clear the brakes without spacers?

AFAIK all Type A need a 5mm spacer when bolted on E30s, they were designed for VW originally which are same stud pattern and centerbore as E30/E21

My mate has been trying to get me back into an e30 for a while and your car Andy might be the tipping point. Love everything about!

Cool car cool dog

My mate has been trying to get me back into an e30 for a while and your car Andy might be the tipping point. Love everything about!

Haha cheers guys!

Beautiful, also love the wheel and tire combo. Makes a damn fine change from the usual weaves or stretch.

• Like 1

Well, another 6 months passed! Apart from take it for a WOF (passed straight through as usual),

only thing I have done to it is buy a new battery for it. Original BMW one buggered out about 18 months ago, so had an old temp one i had sitting here, but was already at the end of its life.

New Yuasa battery and shes golden. Would love to have an OEM BMW one in there, but the price... and what is probably new old stock on a battery, i didnt want to take the gamble.

Oh and also fitted new brake light switch, so thats probably a good thing!

Picked up two very nice Clarion units as well over my time and need to fit one of them into this car too, the sony that is in there is quite in the eye sore in the dash!

John and I just recieved some pics from a shoot we did in January, he has posted more in his thread, here are a couple of mine.

Big thanksto Jessy Penelon for the photos!! also heaps more on this link: https://imageshack.com/a/dck4/1

0b04793820eb8bd15618ea82e66b09f1_zpsjhxi

e6c74732ddf56486ab2a6de07a9bf6bb_zpsi6ma

e277f3d6de7d0872ef5af4d909256895_zps3ipu

071ca7a17ed1b4218b72e817c117a558_zpsxdzi

• Like 9