Sign in to follow this  
Eagle

Cheap E46 M3 in piss yellow

Damnit people, why does it ALWAYS degrade down to the same old argument every time an M3 is posted?

• Like 1

Yea i agree, I bet most of these posters haven't even owned an M3 let alone driven both models to compare properly. They've just "read" about them all to know everything.

• Like 1

Yea i agree, I bet most of these posters haven't even owned an M3 let alone driven both models to compare properly. They've just "read" about them all to know everything.

Such are the joys of subscribing to an enthusiasts forum :) Given the chance, personally I'd own a manual anything over an auto / semi auto box of mechanical trickery. But if I were to win / be thrown the keys to an SMG ///M would I be complaining? Hell no! :D

• Like 1

Exactly. I have nothing against SMG gearbox's and they have their advantages but given a choice id take a manual every time regardless. BMW's philosophy was always to offer M cars in manual.

I have two manual cars with foot activated clutches in the garage , one is 50 years old and the other is 48. The world have moved on and evolved with advances from motorsport.

I do enjoy relics from the past such as traditional manuals in a nostalgic kind of way. But after having done a few track days with an e46 M3 SMG there is no way I'd go back given the choice.

Back on topic , I also like the colour of the P*ss Yellow M3

• Like 1

While not an SMG by any stretch I manualised my 5 speed auto and I find it really workable in various situations when I want more revs and full control for whatever reason, then flick it into auto mode and just cruise.

Ive done 8500kms and its still running without a fault.

I wish i had more monies saved, would totally rock a "piss yellow" SMG M3.... but from a previous post RE condition, probably not this particular one.

On a related note, i have noted that both of these M3s have been on TM for a while now, yet seem to me to be reasonably priced. Maybe the market for M3s is just flat at the moment?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/m3/auction-653051250.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/m3/auction-690591075.htm

Either that or its the colours, they are at opposite ends of the scale.

yeah but you can pull a website for almost any fault, on any car if you look hard enough. There are plenty of perfectly working SMG BMWs running around the world, but of course you will never hear them complaining on the internet that its still working OK.

If you're buying a E46 with SMG, and you are worried about failure, why not just take out a warranty and just drive the car like its meant to be driven? SMG IMO is NO reason to completely discount a car, unless you specifically want a tractor box to make you feel more manly. The rear subframe issue is a much bigger problem, but even that wouldnt stop me buying an E46 M3, just make sure its thoroughly inspected and reinforced/fixed.

• Like 1

that was 1 page of 290000 ,I googled "bmw SMG gearbox problems" If you have time to read them all I'd welcome your feed back.

the first 2 pages all say pretty much the same thing.

Edited by rich

Google hit counts are great like that. 86000 e46 m3 build yet 250k of them are having smg problems ?

Its a Shame you've scared yourself buying one. You've missed out on owning a great car.According to the internet I'm going to die next week from 2,500,000 million different diseases, the sis is watching all my bimmersport postings and there is an alien air bass deep down south

At the cricket last night. Across the group we'd owned 5 smg cars. One had the dreaded smg $30 relay problem. Of the four m3s none had the subframe problem.That was it.

I guess the good thing about the smg fud is we'll be able by these cheaper than the manuals in future

Seriously though, if anyone is in the market for an smg m3 talk to people that have owned them. If you go by the internet it sounds like they are all failing smg pumps its not like that at all.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree 100% with what you say Neal, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

I know you can't/don't believe everything on the interweb.

But there must be some truth to it , you know ,if theres smoke theres fire sorta thing.

and I do value the input from forum members.

And we all know that there IS an Alien base down south.

'HELLM3' is coming up to 170000 k`s.

SMG and we do our best to break it but it refuses to die.

Give me SMG any day over manual (unless it`s an S62 powered 8M3)

post-1470-0-09948800-1391247764.jpg

• Like 6

Google hit counts are great like that. 86000 e46 m3 build yet 250k of them are having smg problems ?

Its a Shame you've scared yourself buying one. You've missed out on owning a great car.According to the internet I'm going to die next week from 2,500,000 million different diseases, the sis is watching all my bimmersport postings and there is an alien air bass deep down south

At the cricket last night. Across the group we'd owned 5 smg cars. One had the dreaded smg $30 relay problem. Of the four m3s none had the subframe problem.That was it.

I guess the good thing about the smg fud is we'll be able by these cheaper than the manuals in future

Seriously though, if anyone is in the market for an smg m3 talk to people that have owned them. If you go by the internet it sounds like they are all failing smg pumps its not like that at all.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As with anything, you can break any car by running it to red line from stone cold day in and day out and then claim that it was a shitty engine and post all over the Internet about it.

The SMG is no different and no worse than your average manual. In fact it's probably better than all the manual M3s out there. Many of these cars would have seen multiple owners now and I doubt all of them can shift as seamlessly as Aryton Senna. The SMG cars on the other hand you can almost guarantee the gearbox (if regularly re-adapted and reset) will be as good as new. The fact that you often only ever see SMG cars replace pumps and other ancillaries and not the actual gearbox due to worn synchro is testament to how well designed these systems are. $20K for a new gearbox vs $2.5K for a new pump, I'd take the pump each and every time.

I have had 2 conventional manual E46 M3s from brand new and one SMG and I would take the SMG car each and every time without hesitation. At least the DME in the SMG cars aren't programmed to have the 0.5second delay on power delivery like the conventional manuals do.

• Like 1

thanks for the input Guys,

I've had my eyes on this one .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/m3/auction-689734708.htm

I visited that dealer the other day and happened upon this car. It was in fantastic condition (looking from the outside). Looked like a nice example.

Now don't start that, we all know that you only need an automatic manual gearbox if you don't know how to use a real manual gearbox... ;)

Seriously just because you don't like something you don't have to keep telling everyone about it at every opportunity. We ALL know already.

I may think the E36 M3 is the ugliest looking car ever made but you don't see me shouting about it at every opportunity. Similarly I may think you are an incompetent home mechanic and shouldn't be working on cars at all for screwing up a simple Vanos job following a well written instruction from the web.

The reality is we all like different things and appreciate different aspects of our cars and those of others.

I am here to share knowledge and help others if I can, not to put down other peoples' choices - they have their own reasons for purchasing and driving whatever they like - who are you to cheapen other peoples' choices? Be a little more respectful.

The reality is also a lot of these "issues" are well known now and many have workable solutions or fixes or are sufficient enough to prolong the car till its end of life (nothing lasts forever people) - so just pick carefully and enjoy it.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 3

on the fact of the cars on trademe, with my own personal opinion (absolutely no disrespect to anybody) , especially with regards to the e46 m3's the early years are definitely the ones to stay away from say from 01-03 the early years of production yielded constant issues not just the sub frame issues but the manual versions as well as the smg vehicles had their own particular engine issues too. (i'm not including the CSL version in this assessment, they're remarkable cars and BMW really put their act together for that car)

There's a pretty good reason those early models go for cheap.. I've owned a 06 M3 manual towards the start of 2013 and since June 2013 I've had my 05 M3 CS has a SMG box (I hand picked this particular M3 after keeping an eye out for one in the UK and NZ for about 6-7 months, choices ranged from the normal M3, M3 CS, 06 RS4, 06 M5 and a 07 e92 M3) I researched heavily and could never settle for second best.

all amazing cars.. but in regards to any "issues" BMW have definitely solved them overtime.. took them long enough!! :) haha

the 04 versions and later seem to contain far less issues in general.. hardly any sub frame, engine or general issues. Just as the early e92 M3's have horrendous issues, yet almost completely fixed overtime-

so the later version e46's are definitely the ones to go for!!

Again these are cars getting towards the spectrum of proper performance cars and simply having a e46 M3 or e92 m3 fall within the budget doesn't mean it's a good idea to buy it, they require proper servicing and re-calibration and to be honest a lot of the crap we hear about these cars come from people who have never owned one forget both versions of the M3's.

my two cents really, don't mean to offend anyone guys ..if I have, I am sorry.. it's just really difficult reading about good cars getting burned without having a say about it.

Edited by DSCOFF

Now don't start that, we all know that you only need an automatic manual gearbox if you don't know how to use a real manual gearbox... ;)

I can't help but detect that this post was playful forum banter, rather than an insult to any SMG drivers. :P

Just as the early e92 M3's have horrendous issues, yet almost completely fixed overtime- so the later versions definitely the ones to go for!!

:huh: Care to elaborate

Edited by Tristan

I can't help but detect that this post was playful forum banter, rather than an insult to any SMG drivers. :P

:huh: Care to elaborate

hey Tristan sorry mate meant the later version e46 M3's are the ones to go for, edited that..

but the e92's like the 07 version I really did want one, broke my damm heart not buying one! haha

however I've got a family member who works for BMW, advised me to stay clear as there are issues out there, and the general tendacy to give the M cars a year or two to sort issues out and maybe if I could try a late 08 build or a later version of the car...

I shouldn't really speak of the e92 m3's as I don't own one.. haha .. what year is your e92 if you don't mind me asking

Edited by DSCOFF

It's a 2008, Pre-LCI, manual.

Haven't had any issues in the 6,000kms I've put on it since August '13 when I got it. Sure, there have been some problems but from what I can tell it's by no means been "horrendous".

In a perfect world I'd have gone for a later model LCI, but for the price I got this one for I couldn't be happier.

It's a 2008, Pre-LCI, manual.

Haven't had any issues in the 6,000kms I've put on it since August '13 when I got it. Sure, there have been some problems but from what I can tell it's by no means been "horrendous".

In a perfect world I'd have gone for a later model LCI, but for the price I got this one for I couldn't be happier.

Yeah exactly what i was advised on the LCI model to go for those if I could, unfortunately i wasn't willing to spend that much at the time as well, and the fact that there existed a c63 amg I couldn't bring myself to buying a 2010 m3 if I couldn't get the c63 amg with the performance pack.

Maybe horrendous was a wrong choice of word haha ..I do apologize mate

we've had bad M model experiences..haha

the old mans had quite a few m cars a few m5's and an 07 M3 almost new, engine went out on him main bearing and oil pump failure (not sure on the details i could be wrong, it's been nearly 6 years or so) haha not a pretty site.. he had far better suceess with the later model m3 think it was a 2010 or 2011 he settled on. But yeah early models always have issues.

am sure your example is pretty mint :)

Edited by DSCOFF

Haha C63 AMG… I'm considering one now :P

Yeah, the rod bearings or whatever they're called seem to be the main issue. I haven't seen a huge amount of them though. Nonetheless, it's a fantastic car. Sounds like bad luck to me.