Sign in to follow this  
ratez0

m44- lump it or lose it?

always loved my brothers e30's but i wanted an e36, 15min on trade-me and i was the proud owner of a 97 318is, love the ride and drive.....

NEEDS MORE POWA!!

wondering if theres anything to be done to this engine or if m42 or m50 would be a better path

already done the fogged airbox thing and custom poddy in stock air box, helps in low rev's i rekon but still 210 top speed

ive seen cat cam's have a listing for m44 but no reply's to my e-mails, a place in tauranga said they do something but no reply's to my e-mails

any ideas???

Best money / power option would prob be a m5x engine. A manual m54b30 would be fun.

so no1 on here does any thing with m44? i know the m42 has potential. if im gonna do a m52b8 w/ m50 manifold might aswell buy a 328 right?

Have a M52tub28 here for sale. Give it a bit of a kick in the pants.

for now, after the time and money you have spent on the 4 banger you have only come close to the performence of a m52b28 or m52b30. Your 318is has a LSD so that would be a lot of fun if you add a X brace and call it a day. Rather start with the 6 pot and have more options. I'm looking to fab up a cheap toyota sc14 blower for mine. :)

save the money,

drive and learn the car,

sell the car,

get a 328i preferably manual with under 200K.

be happy

no lsd, i dono if it changed at a certin year or wt but mynes not lsd. ive spyed a nice 328, but auto, can my getrag 220 handle it or needa 260?

whats your vin? look it up on a vin decoder. I am sure the IS should have LSD. It was a factory option for all the 318IS cars, mine had it, all the ones I have seen had it, there are some 325iS's around that have it, S means teh sports packet includes the sports diff. anyway, I got a stock 318iS LSD if you like. $300 + your old open one. 220 will do okay, 260 is best if you have future plans.

mine's a auto, with some mods, I am happy. :)

Cams, head work, high compression pistons, all a good start and would cost more than the car is worth. If you are really lucky you might get 10 more hp. Im not saying dont do it, just be realistic about your budget and goals.

Mine is also non lsd, i think it was still an expensive option on what was a relatively cheap BMW when new!

If you are set on keeping the m44 you might be better off spending time making the car lighter and improving the handling! Good luck either way. :)

thankyou so much every1 for you ideas, i feel verry welcome here, (got heaps of rude ppl on 318ti.org)

i have time to think about it and save a bit as still fixing panel work and waiting for my licence back too haha

I tried with the M44 a few years back. built a full motor, rods, pistons, massive valved head with custom Cat cams. threw a ton of money down for something that was doomed from the beginning. At the time I had no choice as I wanted to race and the regulations meant I could only use that engine.

But the guys above are right, save the cash, save the heartbreak and go for the 6Pot power. the only other way is to turbo a M44 but its just not worth the hassle.

Edited by E30Drifter

yeah not much point playing with the 4s unless you want to be different of course, eg Steve.

you can get Manual 328i for 2k, cheaper if you have the right networking etc. Autos can be into the 1s, manual conversion for them around $5-700 and you are away.

in almost all cases, I see little point swapping engines around when that chassis was already available with your target engine. M3 swaps and 3er compact 6 pots etc the obvious exceptions as they are much much rarer.

Have a look for metricmechanic m44/42 engines. This should give an idea of whats possible for how much effort. Your never going to get the same dollar/kw ratio of a 6 cyl swap.

depends what your into.

as im sure you know as per been mentioned i like the 4 cyl with a turbo added or go all out with better cams head work and multi throttle bodies the car does handle better with a 4 fast cars are not always about the power

the main thing is whats your budget that will ultimately decide what you do

I tried with the M44 a few years back. built a full motor, rods, pistons, massive valved head with custom Cat cams. threw a ton of money down for something that was doomed from the beginning. At the time I had no choice as I wanted to race and the regulations meant I could only use that engine.

But the guys above are right, save the cash, save the heartbreak and go for the 6Pot power. the only other way is to turbo a M44 but its just not worth the hassle.

manual 328 for 2k? not doubting you just admiring, would love to jump on one of those.

i sell car panels and lights but not quite the right business i guess (we import aftermaket stuff) so i dont see wrecks

yeah not much point playing with the 4s unless you want to be different of course, eg Steve.

you can get Manual 328i for 2k, cheaper if you have the right networking etc. Autos can be into the 1s, manual conversion for them around $5-700 and you are away.

in almost all cases, I see little point swapping engines around when that chassis was already available with your target engine. M3 swaps and 3er compact 6 pots etc the obvious exceptions as they are much much rarer.

piss wrong quote.. as above