Sign in to follow this  
Gorrington

Vehicle compliance..

Hi all, importing an M5 in from the U.K. Looking for a good compliance centre in Auckland. Can any of you guys recommend a place.? Thanks.. 

i use takanini auto centre ,  e39 m5 ? will that pass the standards ??

Not unless it's over 20 years old..

Still quite a few compliance centres that will pass it though, if you pay the right staff members.

needs to be less than about  10years old  , or maybe a rare model , coupe etc 

or 20years old to class as a classic 

or maybe if you have owned it back in the uk etc ??

there are emission stds , frontal impact stds etc etc . 

also how much rust underneath ?? 

go to https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/vehicle-types/cars-and-passenger-vehicles/

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/44/

• Like 1

I checked it out with NZTA over here before shipping. Conforms to all required parameters. Had a new, very thorough m.o.t, engineer check, before leaving UK... 

13 minutes ago, Gorrington said:

I checked it out with NZTA over here before shipping. Conforms to all required parameters. Had a new, very thorough m.o.t, engineer check, before leaving UK... 

ok , good , so you owned it over there for more than 12mths ?

1 hour ago, Gorrington said:

The very early E39 M5 could just scrape into the 20 years old category, however, if this is a later car then it will need to meet the current regulations. You would need to have driver and passenger air-bag as a minimum (not sure if standard on E39), but the main area would be the emissions regulations - I would wonder if an E39 M5 would meet the EU4 exhaust emissions requirements? A quick google has it listed as EU3, but this could change for later models and specific options.

MoT check is very different to a compliance check, which itself is very different to a WoF. Cars that would pass a MoT or WoF will not necessarily pass compliance. You can buy a car in NZ that doesn't meet EU4 emissions (which is a lot of the current NZ fleet...) but can't bring one in. Seems odd, but the logic is that anything coming in should be an improvement. Brakes can pass an MoT, but still fail compliance if the discs are below manufacturers min thickness, or pads don't have a recognised standard written on them.

When you checked it with NZTA, did you give them a VIN number and the Certifiate of Conformity, or a generic question? Did they give you anything in writing?

If it is your own car, which you owned in the UK for 12 months, then you can bring it in as an Immigrant's Vehicle, which means none of the above applies.

• Like 1

Gave them all relevant info including the V5C registration document from The UK. Also involved LTSA who saw documents and said it would pass emissions.. 

Interesting reading.. 

How many were imported new.? 

According to NZTA there are currently 39 E39 M5 registered in NZ.. 

It's 20 years from first registration IIRC.

If you are looking on the NZTA web-site that will only show you cars that have their registration details listed as public, and not those which have their details withheld from public viewing. If so you should take that as at LEAST 39 in NZ.

Special Interest, there are only a certain number allowed per year, and last I heard there was a long wait for a quota. May have changed recently.

Has anyone any info on a Euro 3 engine been upgraded to a Euro 4 RE emissions issues... Is it possible, has it been done anywhere.? 

Seems my belief in trusting NZTA and LTSA to know what they were talking about re importation of a vehicle and its suitability to pass a compliance test was misplaced.

These people are MORONS. 

When I imported both my cars the person I spoke to was the compliance guy in the testing station - he was the one at the coal face and knew what he was talking about, and he was the one that was going to sign (or not sign) the paperwork at the end of the day.

In terms of upgrading the emissions controls on an engine can it be done..? Yes. Can it be done easily - not unless there is a later version of the same engine that has the higher emissions rating. How do you then prove the engine is now a different Emissions level - very difficult. I don't know of anywhere in the NZ that can run a full ECE test regime emissions test.

Do you have certificate of conformity for your actual vehicle, this will have all the relevant EU standards for your actual car. It could be possible that your car is EU4. Due to the massive range of options, wheels, engine specs, transmission, etc. a BMW model, such as 530i or M5, will only be listed to the LOWEST possible standard - ie the worst case for the model. However, it is possible that the configuration of your car can pass the higher standard. This is what I had to do for my 330d, as the 330d could be either EU3 or EU4 at the point of manufacture.

If your car is not to the right emissions level, then you could look to go down the Special Interest path, or you could wait until it gets to the 20 year old stage.

I would say you are going to have to go the SIV route.  Otherwise the E39 M5's would already be coming into NZ via the dealers.

I'm also pretty sure you need to have SIV approval before the car reaches NZ shores.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 11:19 AM, Gorrington said:

My Mazda had an MOT too. Didn't stop the compliance place suggesting 20k worth of work ought to get it legal lol

There's zero consistency here re wof, one place fails, take it to another  place and they may very well pass it.. Probably the same with compliance..   

• Like 3

There are a lot fewer compliance centres, and the rules are a lot tighter so there should be more consistency.

That said there are cars that should not be complied due to emissions, etc that are still coming in, so make of that what you will.

If compliance is anything like getting my dereg mini reregistered, everyone you ask, even in the same branch, will give different answers. I'd hope it was better since the recent shake up though. 

Can you bring a vehicle in and not seek to register it, thereby avoiding compliance? And then store it for x time (say, until it's 20 years old) then register it? How would you get a track-only car into the country (for example)?

It seems if it's already on a boat, and there's a chance that it won't comply, then you'd need to find some other path to follow to avoid having to walk away from it.

Edited by M3AN

The 20 year rule is SUPPOSED to be from date of arrival in NZ, but I am pretty certain some people have held cars back until they have reached 20 years old.

Track only cars don’t need to be complied, as compliance is only for road use, not track / unregistered use. There is also a targa / motorsport use category but that is quite hard to get through.

• Like 1