Sign in to follow this  
keen

Is this of interest to anyone here

post-1074-1183977581_thumb.jpgMy brother is building up a 323 for racing and the targa I though i would put these pictures up that he has sent me. I might be a bit biased but i thought they looked pretty good.

post-1074-1183977464_thumb.jpg

very shiny! any other work done to it? i take it he is using EFI, what ECU is he using?

bottom sex? WTF?

Looks good. Someone tell me how air flow is managed on a setup like that with individual throttle bodies. I'm a n00b.

Edited by bravo

bottom sex? WTF?

Looks good. Someone tell me how air flow is managed on a setup like that with individual throttle bodies. I'm a n00b.

I want to know also - there will be bugger all for the MAP sensor to read. Tony suggested a vacuum 'bomb' for brakes and etc.

Where did he get that manifold/TBs - very keen to know for my race car.

Cheers

He's a fitter and turner by trade. he is building this car up at home in a small garage. he has built up engines before so has a fair idea how to do the job and get the most out of the build.I know that the engine was started from scratch he has polished the crank and it was balanced then it was nitrated then polished again before assembly the pistons are high comp which came in the car as standard.Apparently BMW sometimes put these into certain engines. The engine is fully balanced and he has made up special rockers from alloy and put inserts into them for hard wearing. It has a schrick cam the throttle bodies are from the states as is the ecu and loom .They came as one package. the inlet manifolds he makes himself they are of stainless and he cut groves into them for "O" rings to do away with gaskets the brakes are from the states the booster is from a e28 I think and maybe the brake cylinder but not sure on that. I'm pretty sure it is 3/4 in bore size though. He has built the suspension himself and that is fully adjustable. he has also fitted an e30 gear linkage with a shortshift from Earnst at bavarian motors not sure about anything else but if you ask I can find out for you. here is a picture of the suspension on the right side. Looks like wilwood caliper I think.

post-1074-1184062827_thumb.jpg

That suspension is hard core. for half a second i thought it was a modified rear macpherson strut conversion until I saw the tie rod. If you can more pics please!! Not in any position to utilise it myself but just interested in seeing more pics of this car and the guys ideas. Would love to have a chat with him.

Targa weapon FTW!

I want to know also - there will be bugger all for the MAP sensor to read.

I would say it would run fuel maps dependant on a Throttle Position Sensor rather than a MAP or MAF sensor setup.

that engine is bottom sex ... nice work!

:homo: lol

Posted Image

Edited by Hi Tower

Yes I believe that the maps are on throttle position. He also made a alloy flywheel port and polished the head himself. I have got some more photos on the suspension if you want. You would be surprised how he gets things as good as this in just a small garage.I'm sure he would be happy to talk to anyone about this. might even consider making something for you if he was asked.

post-1074-1184146168_thumb.jpg

post-1074-1184146425_thumb.jpg

Edited by keen

Anymore photos are much appreciated fella? Great to see how other do things. Specially other who fabricated there own parts.

I would say it would run fuel maps dependant on a Throttle Position Sensor rather than a MAP or MAF sensor setup.

How does it calculate load?

very nice work!!!! definitely a few green eyed monsters looking! The fuel/ignition map on one of these setups uses rpm(load) and crank speed, and the MAP sensor is vented to atmosphere, to correct for altitude. This setup is usually referred to as Alpha-N, and is most commonly used on N/A race engines. Ask him if he wants to build a few of those inlet manifolds, I can think of two people off the top of my head that want them!!!

One question- do E21's normally have the steering rack behind the crossmember?

Edited by conrod

Wondering the same thing. Looked at the pic for ages before convincing myself I was seeing things correctly.

very nice work!!!! definitely a few green eyed monsters looking! The fuel/ignition map on one of these setups uses rpm(load) and crank speed, and the MAP sensor is vented to atmosphere, to correct for altitude. This setup is usually referred to as Alpha-N, and is most commonly used on N/A race engines. Ask him if he wants to build a few of those inlet manifolds, I can think of two people off the top of my head that want them!!!

Ahh that makes sense.

+ 1 for me on that manifold.

He will to talk to anyone about the making of bits if you want his name is Wayne Morine 078230263 or email morine@xtra.co.nz He is sending me photos of the adjustable alloy rollers and will post them as so as I get them

Ahh that makes sense.

+ 1 for me on that manifold.

You mean rpm and throttle position Cain?

Andy, Alpha-N is quite a common stup on e30M3's with aftermarket manifolds, hi comp etc. Of course it allows you to remove the AFM

I think most ECUs are able to run it.

From what I understand of it it works well, the only problem being that it requires retuning even for small engine mods such as a CAI or whatever

Still, dam nice work

Edited by Mike

Is it still possible to get vacuum for brakes with a setup like that?

here are the roller rockers he made they have titanium shafts in the adjustable cam end. The wearblocks are made from 4340 which has been carbonitrided and the rockers are made from alloy tool plate.

I'm having trouble getting the two photos from the cd to upload I think the files might be to big. Not being a computer wiz can someone tell me how to reduce the size so I can upload it for you. it will be worth it I think you will find

Ken

The brother has now joined up to this forum under the name bmwolf a new member have a look at the head. He has put it on his page and it has the rockers on it.

Edited by keen

Hi To all, Questions, Questions. (1) The ECU is a HAWK it runs off MAP, MAF, throttle position and Oxygen sensors.

(2) The steering rack is mounted into the back of the cross member.

(3) Building manifolds, I have not thought about that but with the right incentive

anything is possible.

More Photos.

(1) Is the white faced instrument panel.

(2) Is the front suspention showing the steering rack.

(3) Is rear suspention showing the break modifcations (front moved to rear)

post-2146-1184551387_thumb.jpg

post-2146-1184551750_thumb.jpg

post-2146-1184551969_thumb.jpg

Edited by BMWolf

sh*t dude that's some serious kit - talk about up-rated swaybar or what?!!!

Very very nice. You do good work.

sh*t dude that's some serious kit - talk about up-rated swaybar or what?!!!

Very very nice. You do good work.

I think thats the fuel filler tube dude. nice kit alright though!

Haha ollie - the blue sway bar in the front suspension pic...

Edited by bravo

Bit of a thread dig... Where is this car now? been racing?

I too would like to know what has happened to this car. Not because I want to lick it until my pants explode. That would just be strange. I would, instead, be interested to hear how that suspension setup handles (and what it tastes like) and what I would have to part with to get my hands on something like it.