Sign in to follow this  
international

BMW M3 EVO SMG

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=125421276

Right, so I saw this M3 on Trademe, looked like the deal, awesome interior, even lower Ks than my 1997 E36...

Impressed by it, I was confused by the terms used "Evo". Is this "Evo" different to other E36 M3s? I had a look on Wikipedia, but still seems to be quite vague.

Another question is in regards to the 3.2L engine. Many people, including Wikipedia mention that the 3.0L is less problematic. What are the complications with the 3.2L?

Might need some experienced insights from some real BMW nutters...

Chur~

The 3.2 Evo's are known for problems with the Double VANOS system which can be incredibly expensive to fix. I'm sure if you buy carefully you won't run into problems, but the 3.0 is generally more bulletproof according to a lot of people.

the smg box is good for the track , but a pain to drive around town etc . in auto its jerky and a lot more complex if something goes wrong . only ferari make a decent one

The only thing problematic with the vanos system is people not servicing the carsproperly in the first place. Its typical nature ... blame it on the car when it breaks due to ill service records.

There is however a problem with the oil pump sprocket nut coming off causing oil pump failure .. there was a recall for it, you could ring BMW to find out if your vehicle was in it.

It's one of those 1 in a million chance things that it will happen to you but even still.

You are covered with normal mechanical insurance.

Is the price they are asking about right? Was also quite interested in this car. But no doubt will be sold by the time I can russle up the funds.

That car was for sale for 42k 18months ago, it is a lovely car- fanatastic interior. Its getting cheaper and cheaper all the time. What about the dark blue with light grey leather, 1998 evo for sale at Pinnacle cars ( was on trademe up to last week ). it was a tourist delivery and it is manual, find out if it had any clutch issues tho, mine cost $5k to put a new one in.

That car was for sale for 42k 18months ago, it is a lovely car- fanatastic interior. Its getting cheaper and cheaper all the time. What about the dark blue with light grey leather, 1998 evo for sale at Pinnacle cars ( was on trademe up to last week ). it was a tourist delivery and it is manual, find out if it had any clutch issues tho, mine cost $5k to put a new one in.

$5k for a clutch? Is that normal for an M3!?

Yip all done by Shelly BMW at the time, I think it has something to do with the dual mass flywheel for the M3

Holy cow... that just knocked owning an M3 off my list back another couple of years :wacko: Do you know if a large portion of that cost is labour though?

So what is the deal with those wheels? Were they an option? Why does it have the normal M3 facelift wheels.

What do the correct wheels look like?

Um yep James thats my work in the background. We owned it about 6 months ago. Absolutely mint mint mint beautiful car, so if you are intending on buying it please do :D

Um yep James thats my work in the background. We owned it about 6 months ago. Absolutely mint mint mint beautiful car, so if you are intending on buying it please do :D

You mean you've had that car before?

Not me personally, but yes the company i work for - Armstrong Prestige Dunedin has. I remember it quite distinctly. You seriously intending to buy?

Not me personally, but yes the company i work for - Armstrong Prestige Dunedin has. I remember it quite distinctly. You seriously intending to buy?

Not me personally, my father...

$5,000, WHAT??? For a clutch, where did you get it done?

I have inquired about mechanical insurance. Please let me know if you can find some one who will cover an m3, because I can only find one company. And the max claim is $3,000. With a premium of $1,000+ then it seems little comfort if your VANOS bill is $10k.

M3 clutch is $1,200 +GST.