Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E30 325 towing capacity

Hey what do you think the limit of the 325 would be.

Mine has a towbar and was thinking of towing around the E30 series car on a brake assisted trailer.

Too much for her to handle? Is it more designed to tow the the small trailer to Plantbarn or something?

From the LTSA website...

"How much can your vehicle tow safely?

Most vehicles have tow ratings given to them by the manufacturer specifying the gross trailer weight braked, unbraked, or both, that the vehicle can safely tow. Although the law does not require these tow ratings to be followed, Land Transport New Zealand (Land Transport NZ) recommends that they be taken into account.

In addition to the requirements above, the law requires that every light vehicle and trailer combination must be capable of stopping within a distance of seven metres from a speed of 30 km/h. In effect, this means that the maximum allowable weight of an unbraked trailer is limited by the weight and braking ability of the vehicle being used to tow it.

Land Transport NZ recommends, as a guide, that the laden weight of an unbraked trailer should not exceed three quarters of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and then only if the towing vehicle’s brakes and tyres are in excellent condition. A trailer heavier than this may prevent the vehicle combination from meeting the seven metre from 30 km/h brake performance requirement. To illustrate the increase in stopping distance when towing an unbraked trailer, consider a trailer with a laden weight equal to the weight of the towing vehicle.

This combination can be expected to have double the stopping distance of the towing vehicle alone, and even a towing vehicle with good brakes is likely to fail the legal brake performance requirement of seven metres from 30 km/h. If the trailer is equipped with brakes, it may be possible to safely tow a trailer heavier than three quarters of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, but the seven metres from 30 km/h brake performance requirement still applies."

I would hesitate to tow my racecar behind an E30, but, if you do, I would get heavy duty rear springs installed and make sure the brakes on the trailer were functioning properly. I have towed e30s on a braked trailer behind my e30 and found it to be stressful... if any plonker did something ugly in front of you and you had to brake and/or take evasive action, the weight of the trailer tended to unsettle the rear of the tow car quite badly.

My opinion for what it's worth..

Will

From the LTSA website...

"How much can your vehicle tow safely?

Most vehicles have tow ratings given to them by the manufacturer specifying the gross trailer weight braked, unbraked, or both, that the vehicle can safely tow. Although the law does not require these tow ratings to be followed, Land Transport New Zealand (Land Transport NZ) recommends that they be taken into account.

In addition to the requirements above, the law requires that every light vehicle and trailer combination must be capable of stopping within a distance of seven metres from a speed of 30 km/h. In effect, this means that the maximum allowable weight of an unbraked trailer is limited by the weight and braking ability of the vehicle being used to tow it.

Land Transport NZ recommends, as a guide, that the laden weight of an unbraked trailer should not exceed three quarters of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and then only if the towing vehicle’s brakes and tyres are in excellent condition. A trailer heavier than this may prevent the vehicle combination from meeting the seven metre from 30 km/h brake performance requirement. To illustrate the increase in stopping distance when towing an unbraked trailer, consider a trailer with a laden weight equal to the weight of the towing vehicle.

This combination can be expected to have double the stopping distance of the towing vehicle alone, and even a towing vehicle with good brakes is likely to fail the legal brake performance requirement of seven metres from 30 km/h. If the trailer is equipped with brakes, it may be possible to safely tow a trailer heavier than three quarters of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, but the seven metres from 30 km/h brake performance requirement still applies."

I would hesitate to tow my racecar behind an E30, but, if you do, I would get heavy duty rear springs installed and make sure the brakes on the trailer were functioning properly. I have towed e30s on a braked trailer behind my e30 and found it to be stressful... if any plonker did something ugly in front of you and you had to brake and/or take evasive action, the weight of the trailer tended to unsettle the rear of the tow car quite badly.

My opinion for what it's worth..

Will

+1 I would definately not go there. The towed weight is greater than the vehicle towing. The trailer will take over in an emergency

Just get a towbar on the Jag :)

From the LTSA website...

Surely my eyes deceive me, your not taking seriously the LTSA website now are you Will :P

Surely my eyes deceive me, your not taking seriously the LTSA website now are you Will :P

Well, in this instance they seem to have their facts straight. Probably stole this info from another Country's data sheet.. :huh:

W

Big fat no

ROFL - you have discussed using Ruby before.

We had a similar discussion a while back when a member wanted to tow his boat with an e36. Same verdict.

Edited by bravo

Meh. Oh well. Will just have to tow it behind the E55. Shame though. I was going to take two cars down to a huge silvia mega meet we are having at taupo race track. Tow down my 180 behind the E55 Amg and the E30 behind the E30.

Merc tows the 180 like its not even there. Just can't beat that supercharged tourqe monster.

What about a 728? Not powerful enough?

I think I will only tow it to the auto sparkies and fabricator. Will snap a pic. lol

Skoda's rule! lol Our one got stolen. :blink: