Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

E34 tow bar installation

so I have the task ahead of me of putting a bmw tow bar onto my E34, i can't find any info on the net about it. Has anyone done this before or can someone who has a tow bar take some photos for me.

I'm pretty sure i can figure out how to bolt it up to the bumper mounts etc ... it's the wiring loom and the mounting of the bracket that holds the removable tow ball inside the boot that has me stumped.

any help appreciated

ok it's a westfalia tow bar with removable ball.

Posted Image

#13 is the bracket i don't know where it goes.

#1 is the removable ball that i have

link to thread about making cutout in rear body kit

Trailer Coupling Diagram

Posted Image

Parts Diagram for the cover panel for mtech body kit

Posted Image

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

try there ollie...

I think if you wire it properly the trailer indicatirs have their own display on the dash...

cheers.

this thread was the best i could find but useful

yeah i have the proper subpanel etc and wiring loom so hopefully it will all work as if factory fitted.

this is going to be easier than i thought, all the wiring is there ready to go. i just need to bolt up the towbar, cut the body kit (shudder) and i'm sorted.

only thing I cant figure out is where the storage bracket for the removable gus cock (photo) goes ...

post-4-1203981233_thumb.jpg

i will ask at biimer info if somone has a pic they can post.

cheers, i tried to sign up but the security image isn't displaying

cheers, i tried to sign up but the security image isn't displaying

I have a towbar installed on my 540iA, i will take some pics in a few mins and post them up for you.

post-2030-1203985758_thumb.jpg

post-2030-1203985781_thumb.jpg

post-2030-1203985813_thumb.jpg

post-2030-1203985846_thumb.jpg

post-2030-1203985860_thumb.jpg

post-2030-1203985878_thumb.jpg

post-2030-1203985902_thumb.jpg

Photos are crap, sorry, from what I saw, the bar is attached to a large metal rod which attaches to the chassis

Edited by Creaver

Andrews good at cutting rear panels, he'll sort ya out.

ollie check out the thread..."guess whos back"...the m5 has a removeable tow bar but you will have to convince our freind to take some pics of it....

Ask and you will receive. This is a great example of what this fine Forum is all about guys, spot on.

Allan

here ya go Ollie

Posted Image

i love you!

now ... i think I might need to change the boot liner panel that covers it to one that will fit around it. (ie one without the little container in it)

anybody?

Try me Ollie

Ray

0212HELLBM

ok i finally fitted the towbar and the mtech cover panel. I am happy with the result.

the tow coupling mounted in it's bracket in the boot, I couldnt find the boot carpet panel specifically to cover the tow ball so i modified the one i had.

post-4-1209871269_thumb.jpg

The clip in cover panel on the rear mtech kit (still needs a good cut and polish)

post-4-1209871334_thumb.jpg

Rear view of the car

post-4-1209871386_thumb.jpg

Looks good. So can just put the tow ball on whenever you want to use it?

correct - easy as 1,2,3

Wow cool - first time I've seen that kind of feature (though admittedly don't pay much attention to tow bars). Makes it look very tidy - best of both worlds!

OK ... Today i finally get around to using the new tow bar, i went to pick up the car trailer for the test day at puke tomorrow and low and behold the trailer won't go onto the tow ball! it's a 2" ball rather than a 1 7/8" ball.

BUGGER

so my question to you people is, can anyone recommend a good engineer / engineers workshop on the north shore to get it machined down to the more common size of 1 7/8"? as you can see from the picture, it can't be done with a lathe. Or do you think they would cut the ball off, lathe it and weld it back on?

post-4-1214220278_thumb.jpg

so my question to you people is, can anyone recommend a good engineer / engineers workshop on the north shore to get it machined down to the more common size of 1 7/8"? as you can see from the picture, it can't be done with a lathe. Or do you think they would cut the ball off, lathe it and weld it back on?

I think the tow bar gets its strength from being one molded high-strength steel piece.

Edited by jochen

Wow cool - first time I've seen that kind of feature (though admittedly don't pay much attention to tow bars). Makes it look very tidy - best of both worlds!

Common as muck here in Europe.

Due to European laws which state that the rear-most protrusion from your vehicle must be the bumper (unless you are towing a trailer).

Hence, towballs must be demounted when not in use.

Otherwise, the whole safety purpose of the bumper is negated...

So it means that factory towbars on Euro cars (and any cars sold in Europe) and all made with removable donkey-dongs.

The car is only allowed to get a hard-on when towing..... :-)

OK ... Today i finally get around to using the new tow bar, i went to pick up the car trailer for the test day at puke tomorrow and low and behold the trailer won't go onto the tow ball! it's a 2" ball rather than a 1 7/8" ball.

BUGGER

post-4-1214220278_thumb.jpg

I dont think you will get anyone to do that Ollie. There will be no strength in it. An engineer wouldnt cut and weld a forged steel tow ball tongue and cert it.

The problem with those tow bars is, that they limit you to 2"/ 50mm towing couplings on trailers. With a standard tongue type tow bar you can get the adaptor kits to change ball sizes... they are about $100

I just cant understand why they just dont change the law and make couplings & ball sizes a standard size.

Many people have lost trailers because they have fitted 2" coupled trailers onto 17/8" tow balls.

We had a customer do this with a horse float with her two horses in it. Lucky for her it happened on her long driveway. Horses were ok. Trailer, fence and power pole got damaged though. The safety chain just snapped. Most safety chains are not capable of taking the loaded weight of the trailer.

so the "old" couplings and balls are 2 inch and new installations and presumably all hire trailers are 1 7/8.?Are 2 inch ones illegall now?

2" or 50mm are a requirement for trailers with a gross weight (laden) over 2,000kg and must be braked

I'm sure I've got that right. I dont do WOF's here and dont have my WOF regs here... I'm sure thats right though

I really think that they (the LTSA) should make all trailers 2" / 50mm

No more problems then

2" or 50mm are a requirement for trailers with a gross weight (laden) over 2,000kg and must be braked

I'm sure I've got that right. I dont do WOF's here and dont have my WOF regs here... I'm sure thats right though

I really think that they (the LTSA) should make all trailers 2" / 50mm

No more problems then

you would think a car trailer would be best to have that setup anyway