Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: 2nd Saga - M50-T Project

do a skid with those massive feet you got it sitting on! :P

any thoughts on what you gona do for the guards?

Nice work Luke :)

Looking forward to a vid (skid)

Lol shes due another descent skid! Will have to wait till the next skid day out at the local skid pad ;) Yea ive priced up a guy to cut and weld new guards which has been discussed in my wheels thread dude. Cheers Simon, I should have a boost video of it tonight hopefully.

By the way, does anybody know what drives the individual coil packs on each cylinder? Do they have built in ignitors? or are they located somewhere else? I was reading through the link ECU manual last night and it states that Link G3 LEM only supports 6cyl ignition systems with coil packs via wasted spark. It has to ignitor outputs in its loom so you have to run two ignitors per 3 coil packs..

Cheers, Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

I just had a quick look online - there is a possibility you will need 6 igniters wired in pairs to the Link (so wasted spark). I am NOT confident about this - I suggest you contact Link directly or try their forum. this is not an easy one. For 6 cylinders you will need 3 ignition channels for wasted spark.

Edited by CamB

I just had a quick look online - there is a possibility you will need 6 igniters wired in pairs to the Link (so wasted spark). I am NOT confident about this - I suggest you contact Link directly or try their forum. this is not an easy one. For 6 cylinders you will need 3 ignition channels for wasted spark.

Shot Cam thanks. Ive been reading the link ECU Manual and it only has 2 ignition outputs so that means you can only run two ignitors.. these in turn are capable of running from what I believe 4 individual coil packs (so support of upto 8cyl). So im thinking I have to run 3 coil packs off one ignitor and 3 of the other. Also spoke to my tuner this arvo and he said he will have to look but is sure im going to need two ignitors to run them.

I'd agree with camB here, I would be very surprised if link didn't have 4 ignition channels, that way they could drive 2 ignitors each for 8 cyl wasted spark. I'm 99% sure M50 do not have built in drivers. In your case you need 3 ignition channels for your 6 cyl wasted spark

EDIT:

see here:

http://www.linkecu.com/products/pdfs/lemg3specs

4 ignition drives for 8 cyl wasted spark

so you use 3 drives, and wire each drive to 2 x ignitors which will in turn run a coil each

Edited by Mike

Looking absolute tits dude! Bet it goes bloody hard.

so you use 3 drives, and wire each drive to 2 x ignitors which will in turn run a coil each

I wonder if it would be less work/cost to get a set of Mitsi 6 cylinder wasted spark coils and the 3 channel igniter ---> from a v6 GDi I think. Would cost bugger all (I got the 4 cylinder equivalent from pickapart - dual channel igniter and coils - for $34).

Or 2x the 3 channel igniters with the BMW coils - basically just looking to cut costs. Its this thing: "Mitsi J723 ignitor module".

mops used it on his car:

Posted Image

Edited by CamB

I'd be inclined to use the M50 coils because he has them already, and it will be a much tidier install because they're meant to be there.

Getting the mitsi ignitors could be an option though. I'm not sure how many coils you can run off each ignitor, I guess if they're were designed for it you would only need three ignitors.

Luke, you said its been running already, is this on standard ecu? If its on the link then how has it been setup?

Am pretty sure the Mitsi igniter has 3 channels of input / output, so only 2x would be needed? Either way, I agree on using the BMW coils purely because it would be tidy.

Yea im going to stick with the stock BMW coil packs going onto each spark plug. My mistake you guys were right there are 4 ignition outputs (drives) on the G3. So as you stated Mike I will need 3 ignitors, each of these ignotors will drive 2 coil packs?

Guest FrantiC

Ladies and gentleman the M50 Turbo project has just hit BOOST! :D

I hate you!

:angry:

Guest FrantiC

Yea im going to stick with the stock BMW coil packs going onto each spark plug. My mistake you guys were right there are 4 ignition outputs (drives) on the G3. So as you stated Mike I will need 3 ignitors, each of these ignotors will drive 2 coil packs?

Hmm, You may wanna check it. I thought 1 igniter runs 1 coil, any more coils and you will need to add more igniters. So you would need another 2. Don't quote me on that , megasquirt could be entirely different.

I have just finished wasted spark setup on my project, Just need connectors to plug into the coils and spark plug leads for the GM twin post coils. I used an 8 igniter coil driver, So I have plenty of spares if i burnout any of them lol. Just needed 3 igniters to use 3 twinpost coils, so 1 per coil.

Luke, you have single coils, so you need an igniter per coil OR you need 3x 2 channel igniters OR 2x 3 channel igniters.

How you wire them would depend on what you get.

Luke, you have single coils, so you need an igniter per coil OR you need 3x 2 channel igniters OR 2x 3 channel igniters.

How you wire them would depend on what you get.

Correct Cam either 2x3 channel or 3x2 channel ignitors. Ross my tuner said I may not need anything yet. People she is going in to get wired up and tuned on Monday FINALLY! I will keep you all posted on the progress ;)

So tonight I spent a descent 6 hours after work on the beast performing my final tweaks and fixes as she is off to the tuners for a week on Monday ;)

Welded up a quick screamer pipe to direct my exhaust gases away from the firewall last night and wrapped it tonight. Put a brand new fuel filter in and added some penrite SIN race coolant to my radiator, which helps LOTS with cooling the motor as it has no glycol. Fixed up some melted wiring on the passangers footwell which Dad melted when we were fixing the firewall from the other side woops :wacko:

I also put all the carpet back to normal and dusted the damn engine bay removed all loose bolts and rubbish haha so shes all ready to go! Heres some more boring pics as you can see little has changed since last time except the wastegate pipe.. cheers guys!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks tidy enough.

you get the big thumbs up from marty

good luck with the next phase

Thanks guys! Yea looks way nicer now with everything tidied up. Just drove it 13km out to my friends house she works at the dyno tuners shes taking it to her work for me monday morning. Need to do something about the plastic rocker cover.. the wastegate pipe melted a section of it right where it comes against it, even with it heat wrapped...

Oh wow so close! Yeah you sure do have a monster heat source there, maybe duct some air up with some piping?

Thanks guys! Yea looks way nicer now with everything tidied up. Just drove it 13km out to my friends house she works at the dyno tuners shes taking it to her work for me monday morning. Need to do something about the plastic rocker cover.. the wastegate pipe melted a section of it right where it comes against it, even with it heat wrapped...

a simple small sheet if ali cut/bent to size and screwed on the the cover should work as a heat shield

effectively

Looking nice man, admire your dedication!

can't wait for a real boost once its tuned! :)

Oh wow so close! Yeah you sure do have a monster heat source there, maybe duct some air up with some piping?

Thats right lol.. Yea im probably going to direct some air up to that region and like Marty says to make a heat shield up either out of ali or heat sheets I can get from my gasket suppliers at work.

Posted Image

WEAPON

LOL Ollie! I would probably make use for one of those if I had kept telly of how much i spent :rolleyes:

Cheers for the comments ;)

Edited by Boost Junky

Just read the entire thread, man this build is crazy, can't wait to hear how you got on with getting it tuned.