Sign in to follow this  
frc18

Does everyone's A/C turn on....

Dees everyones A/C turn on when you start the engine, even if you've turned it off before turning the car off?

Is this a BMW thing or can it be adjusted? 99 E46.

Yea, mine does although its a '99 E36. If you turn the A/C off before you turn the car off it automatically comes back on when you start it again.

Edited by Nick021

Can't say either of mine do that <_<

97 and 98 E36

It would get annoying!

Edited by braeden.

Have you got any other weird things happening with your climate control? That could potentially be a sign of a faulty climate control panel....

Hi!

Just a thought do the e46's have a final stage resistor unit like the e39. These units over time become faulty and can give you all sorts of funny symptoms with the climate control ie A/c fan turns on for no reason, will only go flat out and then not at all some times. If that is of any help to you.

Allan

Mine does that as well, but don't think its a fault, rather it happens if the settings on the key are programmed to turn on AC... each key can have can have different settings programmed as to what happens when you turn on the engine - turn on ac, move seat to a specified position, etc. You can get it reprogrammed at say BMW dealership, don't know how much that costs tho.

Mine does that as well, but don't think its a fault, rather it happens if the settings on the key are programmed to turn on AC... each key can have can have different settings programmed as to what happens when you turn on the engine - turn on ac, move seat to a specified position, etc. You can get it reprogrammed at say BMW dealership, don't know how much that costs tho.

Just what I was thinking. I remember reading something about it in the manual.

Think you will find in the E46 that it can be programmed like individual seat, mirror, temp & fan speed settings to each key from the memory setting switches.

E36 - I would say probably indicates a faulty climate control panel as already mentioned

Dees everyones A/C turn on when you start the engine, even if you've turned it off before turning the car off?

Is this a BMW thing or can it be adjusted? 99 E46.

It's part of the CKM (Car-Key-Memory) and can be programmed to the owner's preferences.

Programming can be done by BMW

I change the CKM settings on my E39 so that the recirculating air memory (remembering last switch position) was switched on.

Mmm my 328i E36 does it.

I start the car

press "-" on the AC to turn it off

switch my foglights on

then press "check" to get rid of the tail light out warning..

need to get a new brake switch thingy

My old E39 did it, it would turn on and mist the windows.. had a mind of its own that car :o

Im sure the E30 has a hamster on a wheel powering the Air-Con and doesn’t seem to actually do anything.. The E60 requires a masters degree to operate before choosing from about 12 settings for each zone as to where you want air blown.. but it’s still remains off if you want it off.

I also have a problem with mine (maybe a BMW weak point, if any), i can either turn on my A/C with the A/C button or i can turn it on by pressing the recirculate button? Pretty sure that's not soposed to happen.

Edited by Greg111

My E30 A/C goes strong but hardly gets used, never gets hot enough in welly, gets used more to demist - likewise with the E36 A/C :)

But if i have my A/C on then press the recirculate button on it will turn the A/C off and vise versa, so in other words i can't have recirc on without having A/c on too?

Yep, I have had two E46's (sedan and touring) and both have done that.

Does anyone actually know if this can be turned off or not?

(Sorry if someone has already mentioned this - haven't read all the comments yet!!!)

But if i have my A/C on then press the recirculate button on it will turn the A/C off and vise versa, so in other words i can't have recirc on without having A/c on too?

what happens if you have a/c off then hit the recirc button...i think you can still cycle the a/c buttton for any combination.I think the a/c light goes off on mine but in actual fact if the a/c was on when you hit the button the a/c stays on.If I hit the recirc button with a/c off the a/c comes on.(I think that what happens!)

Yep, I have had two E46's (sedan and touring) and both have done that.

Does anyone actually know if this can be turned off or not?

(Sorry if someone has already mentioned this - haven't read all the comments yet!!!)

Can be reprogrammed at BMW dealership... don't know if anyone else does it.

Thanks for all those comments.

There's nothing else wrong with the system, or any of the electrics as far as I can see. It just wants to be on when the engine is started, and turns on at the last setting it was left on, or on the minimum if turned off.

Not a huge deal given that it all works properly, but will try a dealership and see what they say about reprogramming it.

Not a huge deal given that it all works properly, but will try a dealership and see what they say about reprogramming it.

Get the list of Car-Key-Memory and fill it out with your preferences. Hand them the list and tell them to program the lot for you at the same time.

There's a lot more settings that can be programmed.

I can email you the CKM list if you PM me your email address.

Mmm my 328i E36 does it.

I start the car

press "-" on the AC to turn it off

switch my foglights on

then press "check" to get rid of the tail light out warning..

need to get a new brake switch thingy

And now i have no fog lights either.. maaan. It's begun.

I actually dont get why everyone leaves their AC off... it makes bugger all difference unless your:

* Racing on a track at consistent high RPM

* driving a 1.8 litre 6 cylinder with no torque

* really tight about saving $5 a week in fuel costs

Its actually not a good idea leaving aircon off for too long. You filters go mouldy (smell musty) and can cause gas leaks in your charge canister.

In an e46 you select you temp leave it all on and press auto .. and walk away. Its one of the best systems ive experienced.

If you are going to get your key settings re-programmed then definately use the checklist.

Had mine done to stop the annoying "lock the doors as soon as speed hits 5kms" and they didn't give me a list at all. Still had to pay full price and only found out later that there were various settings you can choose. Bit miffed with the dealer that they didn't have me fill one out.

If you are going to get your key settings re-programmed then definately use the checklist.

Had mine done to stop the annoying "lock the doors as soon as speed hits 5kms" and they didn't give me a list at all. Still had to pay full price and only found out later that there were various settings you can choose. Bit miffed with the dealer that they didn't have me fill one out.

How much did they charge you wild_weston?? I wonder if Glenn is able to do it at Botany Motor Worx?

How much did they charge you wild_weston?? I wonder if Glenn is able to do it at Botany Motor Worx?

Glenn at BM-Worx can do it

So can the boys at BM Workshop

All you need is the BMW GT1 diagnostic software ... it is a really simple thing to change.

Plug in GT1, start it, read settings, change settings, save.

Takes all of 5 minutes. Longest time is waiting for GT1 to read the car...