Sign in to follow this  
fiatracer

E36 328i + 325 manifold, or......?

hi guys

I recently bought a kiwi-new E36 328i MSport [manual] and it's lovely but could use some more grunt. I have also bought a 325 inlet manifold, and done some reading. I understand that fitting it [with a tune] will give more peak bhp, at the expense of mid range. Has anyone done comparable dyno runs on this - ie- dyno run, swap manifold, tune, and re- dyno to compare? How MUCH midrange would I be likely to lose?

Also, various experts on here seem to suggest that exhaust mods are a better bet - what mods are recommended? Are we talking headers, or a better pipe? Any recommended setup? What about manifold, tune AND exhaust? Bearing in mind my car is a '97 NZ spec car, is the ECU able to be reprogrammed by a tuner without chip swap? TIA, Phil

M3 exhaust/headers/cams are a good (but terribly expensive) mod. Your best bet is the usual: intake, exhaust, ecu and 325 intake manifold. There was a drag race video on YT comparing a 328 with and one without the 325 manifold and there was a significant (1-2 car length) difference, I don't think you need to be concerned about the mid-range torque loss.

hey - thanks for your input. Seems to be some real disagreement around this mod - some people say it destroys midrange, some not. Anyone out there done the mod and can give me real world experience? also, I think I read somewhere [maybe a recent issue of BMW mag] that some sort of spacer is needed too?

Good headers and exhaust with re-mapp, you will probably gain in fuel consumption also.

Good headers and exhaust with re-mapp, you will probably gain in fuel consumption also.

Hi

saw your car today looks good

I would suggest you do a base run on the dyno anyway to see where you at ,you will need it to compare anyway should you do any mods at all,also if your air fuel ratios are off it could point to other faults.

John butler at tunning and performance would probabaly do you a deal to run it up on thier Dyno Pak

should be plently of dyno posts on the web to see how yours matches up

with my race car I always do a base run, compression check and run new plugs and best possible fuel, 98 will make differnce as the ECU will retard if it senses detonation at any point, easy to do if you are heavey footed

cheers alex

Carspot

I have the m50 manifold on my 328.

I really like it. Lower end torque feels slightly flatter but it feels much more eager in the top end.

I wouldn't be so keen on an auto but since you're manual. Put it this way, if it were my car I'd be doing it.

A remap isn't necessary (I havn't) but there may be more from it.

Others will disagree.

I was going to do this...however I wanted to see the results that someone has for an Auto before I waste my money

cheers westy - appreciate your input. Interesting that you reckon there's a good benefit even without any other work. So, did you do the work, and are there any issues or pitfalls. I assume it isn't quite a simple bolt on?!

cheers westy - appreciate your input. Interesting that you reckon there's a good benefit even without any other work. So, did you do the work, and are there any issues or pitfalls. I assume it isn't quite a simple bolt on?!

You'll need a M50 manifold & throttle body and a new manifold gasket

Does your car have ASC ?? because the throttle bodies are different

Hey Westy... seeing you did yours, whats the list of components you had to change ??... I expected it just to be manifold & throttle body.

Cheers

Glenn

what sort of price are M3 headers, and do they ever come up for sale? Are any other mods needed [ie - do they end at a flange at same place as standard 328?]. thanks guys, this thread is really helping!

For the inlet manifold all you need is the manifold itself and various fittings and some fuel/oil resistent pipe.

What you end up with is a throttle body with an o-ring and a manifold with an o-ring. Sandwich a flat piece of steel cut to size to seal the o-rings each side and you're away.

Regig the support and replumb the vacumn/oil breather lines under the manifold.

Thre are kits you can buy to make it pretty but I dont think you need one.

Fixed?

The conversion changes the character of the engine more than anything. It does change the top end a lot.

Edited by westy

For the inlet manifold all you need is the manifold itself and various fittings and some fuel/oil resistent pipe.

What you end up with is a throttle body with an o-ring and a manifold with an o-ring. Sandwich a flat piece of steel cut to size to seal the o-rings each side and you're away.

Regig the support and replumb the vacumn/oil breather lines under the manifold.

Thre are kits you can buy to make it pretty but I dont think you need one.

<a href="http://"http://m50manifold.com//index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=28"" target="_blank">Looks like this.

</a>

The conversion changes the character of the engine more than anything. It does change the top end a lot.

Link doesnt work

Didnt work for me either lol.

Should be fixed now.

Didnt work for me either lol.

Should be fixed now.

Did you buy that kit and get a 2nd hand manifold & TB Westy ??

No.

Bought a second hand manifold from Mosen $50.

Bought a bunch of elbows and a length of hose and some clamps for $100.

The link was more to show the hose arrangment you need to create to plumb under the manifold (bottom pic).

Forgot to mention, the injector rail needs a couple of small brackets because the bolts on the manifold are spaced differently.

You keep the 328 TB.

As far as torque goes, a nice short diff solves that!

So with the manifold, light flywheel and short diff the car fair squirts of the line!

But remember the car isnt a daily.

What a load o'crap.

And no Wayney, the two m52s have completely different intake systems.

I've done a lot of research on the M50 manifold for my 323 and whats always put me off is the loss of midrange. Mines a daily driver and since it spends almost all its time below 3500rpm, torque is much more important.

Having said that the 328 has 35Nm more torque so its not as much a problem especially with a remap. If you get some quality underdrive pulleys like UUC on top of that you probably won't even lose any grunt. Personally I'm waiting for a 3.15 LSD before I do the swap that way I figure I can gain in power, torque and possibly fuel economy all at once.

For anyone with auto's don't bother with the swap since the auto will be faster with more torque.

PS. Interesting idea about the M3 headers, I might have to look them up myself, I didn't think they'd be a direct fit with the 328 midsection. How would Supersprint headers compare?

I did the full 328 exhaust swap a few months ago, made a great gain...

I'm a big fan of torque, IMO it's what makes for a relaxing drive plus you don't feel guilty like you do when you get up high in the revs ie. fuel economy.

I'll try and find some M3 headers