Sign in to follow this  
MIRAGEone

E36 brake upgrade

Well I lowered my car and put new shocks on over this last week (replaced a brake hose too but thats irrelevant).

Now im turning to the brakes. Simple bolt-on upgrades would be nice. As the only time I get to work on my car is during smoko and any day I get off work early (theres a mechanic workshop onsite where I work.. I'm friends with them). Im running factory 15s.

Theres nothing wrong with the factory brakes now. I know she's a heavy machine. But slowing down from 160kph+ takes alot longer than im content with.

Any recommendations or advice ?

Perforamance Pads on stock discs are great for me. I'd recommend something from the Hawk range, or talk to Racebrakes. Your discs wont be getting super hot, so dont think you need cross drilled or anything.

Theres nothing wrong with the factory brakes now. I know she's a heavy machine. But slowing down from 160kph+ takes alot longer than im content with.

Any recommendations or advice ?

Perhaps don't drive at 160kph+ ? (If in fact a 318i can do that speed, and yes I'm sure you'll assure me it can)

You have the lightest of the E36 3 series cars, your stock brakes are fine. If you want more pedal feel install some performance brake pads, but the OEM BMW pads are actually considered superior to any others you could install anyway.

And as for your blatant show-off attitude about driving at high speed, take it to a track or at the very least remind me when you're out on the roads so I can avoid you.

Perhaps don't drive at 160kph+ ? (If in fact a 318i can do that speed, and yes I'm sure you'll assure me it can)

You have the lightest of the E36 3 series cars, your stock brakes are fine. If you want more pedal feel install some performance brake pads, but the OEM BMW pads are actually considered superior to any others you could install anyway.

And as for your blatant show-off attitude about driving at high speed, take it to a track or at the very least remind me when you're out on the roads so I can avoid you.

blatant show off attitude xD

i never said i was on the streets. but all prejudices aside (feel like im living in the states again)

ill look at performance brake pads.. thanks guys

didnt know the OEM pads had such a reputation. but since i only just bought the car and considering the condition i bought it in. theres quite a bit i want to upgrade. and brakes just happened to be next on the list

Can you please elaborate on that gannet, I'm not having a dig, but I'm not sure the approach your coming from.

Different compounds will give different results. The performance pads on my E30 series car do stop in far less distance than my road pads, about 3/5th short distance than stock, but thats just an estimate. They are a road / race pad and work in all temperatures.

Edited by bmw3

Can you please elaborate on that gannet, I'm not having a dig, but I'm not sure the approach your coming from.

Different compounds will give different results. The performance pads on my E30 series car do stop in far less distance than my road pads, about 3/5th short distance than stock, but thats just an estimate. They are a road / race pad and work in all temperatures.

I agree with you, performance pads do make a difference, but for normal everyday driving in an automatic 318i you don't need them. They're simply unnecessary.

you make a very valid point.

Furthermore I would have thought at 160kph you'd quite possibly benefit from the downforce of a GT Spoiler :D.

Are you sure you are running OEM pads? Perhaps there are some cheap pads in there? OEM pads and discs are probably the ones to go for, even if you go for the odd track day?

I was even recommended to stick with OEM discs and rear pads for my race car. They are quality stuff, IIRC the pads are re-branded Pagids and discs Brembos. They aren't like the toyota/mitsubishi/honda pads that were designed for shopping trolleys.

Mind you, all this has been for my E30, but I don't really see a reason for it not to apply to E36's? Unless BMW opted for a cheaper/nastier pad/disc combo for the E36's to save on cost?

But for a street car (I'm assuming your 318 is such a car) Bendix Ultimates have served me well before, and fairly decent value for money. Otherwise if you're pocket's deep go for some Pagids. I have only heard good things about them. :)

Edited by JiB

For a 318 I, all you need is OEM pads and rotors. Thats what I'm running in mine, and I've got 2.8 litres of grunt in mine.. and I do DRIVE it. Like someone has already said...youve probably got crap fitted there at the moment

slotted disks good pads to suit and braided lines would be the bizz but maybe overkill?

i disks need doing so why not upgrade?

For a 318 I, all you need is OEM pads and rotors. Thats what I'm running in mine, and I've got 2.8 litres of grunt in mine.. and I do DRIVE it. Like someone has already said...youve probably got crap fitted there at the moment

probably right.. when i had her up on the hoist most of last week i didnt bother checking the brakes

just wanted to make sure i had the springs/shocks and other small things done so i could have her for the weekend

judging by what you guys are saying about OEM pads. im gonna take a guess that whatever pads are on there atm

are some cheap sh*t the previous owner put on just to pass WOF

through my work (we get discounts) i can get new discs $38 and pads $8

most likely cheap sh*t though. will call a few places and look around tomorrow..

..if anyone cares xD

probably right.. when i had her up on the hoist most of last week i didnt bother checking the brakes

just wanted to make sure i had the springs/shocks and other small things done so i could have her for the weekend

judging by what you guys are saying about OEM pads. im gonna take a guess that whatever pads are on there atm

most likely cheap sh*t though. will call a few places and look around tomorrow..

..if anyone cares xD

At those prices...they wont be OEM. They will probably be cheap chinese rotors and Silverline disc pads which are crap.

THe easy way to tell if OEM is look for lots of brake dust...lol

The previous owner of mine out on some long lasting dustless pads and I'm giving them a fair workout on the street to wear them out.

For anyone who didn't know there is a very easy and cheap bigger brake upgrade for teh E36's, it involves swapping to E46 328/325 or Z3 3.0 brakes. You just need the carriers for teh swap, keeo your current caliper's and pad fitment with much bigger rotors.

THe easy way to tell if OEM is look for lots of brake dust...lol

The previous owner of mine out on some long lasting dustless pads and I'm giving them a fair workout on the street to wear them out.

For anyone who didn't know there is a very easy and cheap bigger brake upgrade for teh E36's, it involves swapping to E46 328/325 or Z3 3.0 brakes. You just need the carriers for teh swap, keeo your current caliper's and pad fitment with much bigger rotors.

My Mintex 'redbox' pads dust up just as much as stocks, good performance thou. I had some crap generic pads only 1\4 worn when i got it, the brake fade was bad so i tossed them. Better to have decent braking than save a few dollars i say.

..if anyone cares xD

my e34 are more like 100 and 150 for [ front pads and discs)....best brakes on any car i have had ented discs front ,disc s rear too,lots of dust tho..the reason why pads and discs wear in these cars is in Germany(maybe other euro countirestoo) is the pads and discs are specced so they still worlk quite weel with no power assist.

Like Botany I run a 328 , these do have vented discs all round so sustained barking performance is good,

Bit of a dog is it :lol:

OEM brakes are designed to out perform the vehicle in standard form....END OF STORY

Enhance engine performance...Enhance braking performance END OF STORY

A 318 I, unenhanced doesn't need a brake up grade... END OF STORY

Dont waste your money... go buy a box of beers.. or 4 or five

This is what you want mate:

Brembo "Look" brake caliper covers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-173574704.htm

Posted Image

Yeah right....What a load of crap

Go buy a lollipop or buy the real thing, but then why would you, on a 318 I

I should shut up really, but I am getting sick of ridiculous crap in here

End of rant

hey peter just like instyl !

oem looks the same why not a set of nice drilled rotors matched to good pads or even better 330 brakes on a e36

Edited by Pboy