Sign in to follow this  
dcm17

m50 intake manifold

So heres what I want to do, pop an M50 intake manifold on to my M52 engine. I have an E36 323i and I want the power those damn tree-huggers took off me in Germany haha.

So heres what I want to know:

Has anyone done this?

Any problems I could encounter?

Where can I find a M50 intake manifold? Wreckers?

After that I might look at a pully system and then a dyno tune, I will be happy once I hit 200hp:)

Any help would be fantastic! :)

Do a search.

Has been discussed/argued over a couple of times.

It's not a direct swap... there are some modifications you'll have to make. Must say I've never heard it being done to a 323i before... only to 328i's. There are cheaper and easier ways to boostpower on a 323i.... namely replacing the restrictive exhaust system.

i have a 2.5 manifold etc if you want to go down that route .

The research Ive done says that there are two versions of the M52 2.5 motor. One putting out 190hp and the other 170hp (mine). The only real difference is the intake manifold on the later version (mine again) was restricted to meet emission laws. Putting the other intake manifold on solves this problem.

Does that sound rite? Ill chat with you guys for a few days before I make solid plans.

Bavarian Motors have done some for customers. All pleased with the result.

Have a few manifolds if you or anyone else is interested.

The research Ive done says that there are two versions of the M52 2.5 motor. One putting out 190hp and the other 170hp (mine). The only real difference is the intake manifold on the later version (mine again) was restricted to meet emission laws. Putting the other intake manifold on solves this problem.

Does that sound rite? Ill chat with you guys for a few days before I make solid plans.

Not quite right.

There are two different displacement M52's. The 170hp 2.5 litre which is what you have. And the 193hp 2.8 litre. Both engines use the intake manifold from the 320i, this restricts the overall power of the engine but offers better lowdown torque and fuel economy than the M50.

The other thing which restricts the overall power of the 323i's engine is the exhaust, which is also a part from the 320i. You won't achieve the magical 200hp figure without replacing this as well as the intake manifold.

Is your car auto or manual? If it is auto you may find the M50 intake manifold conversion unsuitable for everyday driving as it increases top end power while sacrificing torque, meaning you will have to work the engine harder to access the power. From experience I can tell you this is a pain in the ass in an auto as you're constantly having to kickdown gears to get the engine into the powerband.

have 325i rear exhaust system as well to match if needed. i think the front section of teh exhaust system are much the same

Yawn- how many times do we need to see this post it should be tagged as done to death - read the facts not the hype- its a dud unless you want to turn your advanced M52 into a fuel guzzling gutless M50 clone.

US M3's can suck enough air through the M52 manifold to make 170 kw so look elsewhere- like that skinny single pipe strung under the car.

Man you get anti at times! People should be able to provide information without worry of being hassled for it.

Looks like I wont go for it, horsepower is worthless without torque and with the auto box Id have trouble. I have taken the first cat out already and replaced it with a high flow resonator. Don't know about any power difference but it sounds a little more business like.

Born out of frustration i believe Mr Miller, this man knows his stuff!

Yeah and I know my teaching but you never see me talk to my students like that

The item comes up so often - some one should put up a sticky to rub it out

There should be a sticky - the search doesn't recognise 3 letter/numeral searches, so (for example) "m50 manifold" brings up every post with "manifold".

TBMW project car: E39 523i.... M50 manifold, bore throttle body,remap ecu.... gained 37Hp @ flywheel & 20 lbs/ft.

Power/torque curve has solid gain from idle to redline...worth doing for sure.

Power 207.5hp

Torque 179.9lbs/ft

....with the new manifold & remap it's much more like driving a 528i....stepoff from standstill is improved too, easier to drive in traffic....work carried out by Chipped UK.

Edited by mr E34

TBMW project car: E39 523i.... M50 manifold, bore throttle body,remap ecu.... gained 37Hp @ flywheel & 20 lbs/ft.

Power/torque curve has solid gain from idle to redline...worth doing for sure.

I don't suppose they remapped the ecu before making the mods did they?

if you new! how the hell do you no whats been discussed in the past?

if you new! how the hell do you no whats been discussed in the past?

By searching before asking ANY question. Every question. Why wouldn't you search first?

By searching before asking ANY question. Every question. Why wouldn't you search first?

All I can say is lol aye Cam :lol:

You newer folks will soon learn that you will get by much easier by searching first ;)

May as well add in also, Im sure I read somewhere on one of the UK or US forums that a fair few people have had vacuum leak issues with the whole M50 inlet manifold on the M52 head... More hassle than its worth by the sounds.

Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

I've done the mod, no probs, performance as I expected. As people say, you loose low end torue ( I noticed it), it is more than made up past 3500reves tho. Round a track or if driving hard, it is a noticable improvement (I havn't even had a remap), If you then go for the remap, you'll get back that torque and the upperend will improve even further (your OBD takes little into consideration of these types of mods, so whilst you got those bigger runners, with the potenital to flow more air, you need a remap to tell it to suck through more air.

If you don't drive fast often, or arn't planning on getting a remap, I would probaly say against it. The loss of torque is a pain, and whilst the upper end is nice its no turbo. However I'm planning on M3 cams along side a complete remap, and they realy compliment each other so the otherall effect will bring it closer to that of an m3.

You won't encounter many probs, a few hoses are needed ( can make stuff up as you go, or any decent BMW performace people can do it no probs). The only possibilty for things to go wrong is if the seals on the m50 manifold you source are worn(reccomend replacing for $50 if not looking fairly new).

All in all I'm happy with the mod, and it's very cheap for the potential in power gains, your looking at not much over $500 for the manifold and fittement. Don't listen to people who havn't done the mod, there just going on what other people who havn't done it say (these people also happen to not have done it), myself and people who have done it are more than satisfied. But don't do it byitself and expect to be driving a new car (you need that remap along with the other minor mods you should have already done).

good luck.

I looked at doing this as well, but after researching it, decided I'd rather have the torque the M52B28 produces especially with an auto. Some of the 328 coupes (my donor car) came out with manual select instead of ice mode. Which allows you to drive it in the power band, especially on the twisties... I have that version trans at the moment.

I'd first go for the exhaust before doing anything else and maybe a CAI or at least remove the restrictor in the air box and use a K&N

Bavarian Motors have done some for customers. All pleased with the result.

Have a few manifolds if you or anyone else is interested.

hey there mate,i have 2 328s.one being a tweaked ex jap import(that is crashed)i have swapped the exhaust,computer etc,yet somehow the crashed one still goes heaps harder then my msport coupe.how do you tell if it is an m50 manifold in place??if not how much do you want for one of these manifolds??

I looked at doing this as well, but after researching it, decided I'd rather have the torque the M52B28 produces especially with an auto. Some of the 328 coupes (my donor car) came out with manual select instead of ice mode. Which allows you to drive it in the power band, especially on the twisties... I have that version trans at the moment.

I'd first go for the exhaust before doing anything else and maybe a CAI or at least remove the restrictor in the air box and use a K&N

i have replaced my exhaust with a super sprint system...i really didnt notice much difference.they say getting rid of the flapper style twin pipe costs you a bit of torque also.I thought the getting rid of the restrictor was awesome.

This mod with cams - i will second is madness.i have a 328 that had all this done in japan.It also had a supersprint exhaust,and a chip.Assuming this is where the grunt was,i removed them and fitted them to my coupe.The difference to the coupe was marginal with exhaust and computer,meanwhile the sedan with the standard exhaust and computer-seemed to go harder then ever!!The ONLY mods it appears to have is the M50 manifold,and some cams(dont know what).Is like a different car 320vs328 almost.Now the sedan is crashed lightly at the back,so is for sale.Can back up this story with a passenger seat ride for sceptics.It goes hard.thanks