Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Google Maps Street View

Wow, how creepy is that! I wish they let me know they were driving around so I could mown the lawns.

In case you don't know, Google > Maps > type in selected street > drag little yellow street view man and drop him outside your (or the person your stalkings') house. Can even go for a walk round the block without even leaving the comfort of your own home.

How often do they update the photos? Are there google employees running around taking photos?, cause I haven't seen any.. how the hell do they get these.

Some fancy camera that uploads the image realtime as the car drives along I think.

post-1431-1228178980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quailboy

Yeah I was just checking out my house. I was home the day the camera went past as both my BMW's are in the driveway. And by the state of my Racecar this was taken around this time last year.

Gotta be great for the smart thief who wants to see how you park your cars.

They don't update realtime I'm pretty sure. There was an article on them in the local paper when they did Northland - up here they used vans with 4 cameras on the roof like that photo and they just drive along, with GPS running, then they post-process the data and produce the 360° views.

This stuff is awesome.. My neighbours built a new house since the photo was taken, would suck if you were looking out for the old one in the photo.

Im Stoked, they must have taken it within a week of me painting my front wall and mowing the laws and doing g the gardening.. House looks good!

They don't update realtime I'm pretty sure.

Your right this time :P I kinda mean't as they drive, the camera take photos and creates image orbs as they go.

Guest SamSpargo

There are no cars outside my parents house, which is unusual. Wonder when they took the photo?

That is mint. They must have taken the photos a while ago, my dads old (4 months) work van is on the road.

My old place has a cordia in the driveway, but no levin, van or bma. So wouldve been at least mid least year

Just checked out my own street, they must have took it at least 4-5 months ago.

As for the van, I've seen it a few times, 8 cameras, GPS receiver, hub mounted speed sensor on each rear wheel (to compensate the images for veering/turn on the road).

At least the photos are not good enough to ID number plates on cars.

Sweet they stuffed up my street, they have my driveway as 84 instead of 87. Good thing I have a long driveway!

Holy sh*t this is awesome, even my crappy corolla takes up most of the photo! haha

Shows the Stone Store Bridge in Kerikeri still there. This was demolished in July.

Just checked out my own street, they must have took it at least 4-5 months ago.

As for the van, I've seen it a few times, 8 cameras, GPS receiver, hub mounted speed sensor on each rear wheel (to compensate the images for veering/turn on the road).

At least the photos are not good enough to ID number plates on cars.

Looking at a photo of our place I think they actually blanked some number plates. See here

It was mentioned on the radio here yesterday that we were now on Google maps, very impressive technology!

The photo of my house was taken the day I went to buy my race car, as it has the 4x4 and hire trailer on the drive, spooky.

You can see where they got to when they finished filming for the day, if you look at our factory car park from next door the cars are all there (Friday afternoon) then if you look from directly in front of the factory all the cars disappear (Saturday morning) - spooky stuff!

Hours more time wasted on the net - google earth was bad enough.

haha got my car outside my old work :P

Thought this might be of some interest to some of you. Link

I've just been thinking - this is going to change how I do work. I can look at a site before I go. I can see what traffic control is required - is there room on the side of the road to park vehicles and machinery? Can I see around the bend, or is it vegetated??

Resource consent applications - show sightlines, look at the current type and grade of access, condition/width of road carriageway.

And heaps more.

I like!

Yep, I just used it to find an address for someone as I couldn’t remember the street or number and the address isn’t listed.

Just typed in Khyber Pass and had a look around.

Can even send a link to someone.

Link to address: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&hl=e...983387,,0,5>

Handy Andy.

Yep, I just used it to find an address for someone as I couldn’t remember the street or number and the address isn’t listed.

Just typed in Khyber Pass and had a look around.

Cheers Graham, appreciate it.

yeah im a pizza guy so its really handy to be able to see what house your looking for, before you leave. Nothing harder to try and find a house at 10pm when its pissing down with rain and the numbers on the letterbox are all faded!