Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

New BMW TwinTurbo v8 cut away.

400hp @ 1800 RPM

M version is reported at 500hp.

nice :)

for the X6 m and X5 m and topline models respectively.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh god I want that motor!

Well BMW has always been good to us. Any BMW motor will fit in any BMW model. Its a rule. lol.

Also what an awesome way to mount the turbos. Not often you see them mounted on top like that. Usually down low and out of sight.

Edited by driftit

Thats a mint setup. Is that reverse flowed heads, or do all bmw v8s have the exhaust ports on the

inside of the banks?

wow those are tiny turbos but looks good

What's the displacement? Is it the 4L from the new M3?

It’s a 4.4 similar to the 4.4 in the old 545i and 745i.

The Turbo’s may be small but they will outperform one large turbo from 10 years ago and deliver linier torque and power, none of this floor it and wait for everything at once up in the rev range rubbish like old Turbo’s. My old Holden Astra had a very small turbo but through the tight stuff it would pull miles ahead of the old EVO’s and WRX’s, it’s all about flexibility and drivability, the turbo motor has come a long way.

Can’t wait to see the tuned version in the next generation 5 series M5 and the upcoming M-X6.

Cheers for the pictures.

Thats a mint setup. Is that reverse flowed heads, or do all bmw v8s have the exhaust ports on the

inside of the banks?

I think you are right, the exhaust ports are normally on the outside of the motor due to the heat ....

interesting ...

I guess it was designed to be a compact unit, easy to drop in on the assembly line and plug up the ancillaries. I am interested in how serviceable it will be and how they propose dissipating heat from inside the V because i know there will be plenty of it.

It’s a 4.4 similar to the 4.4 in the old 545i and 745i.

The Turbo’s may be small but they will outperform one large turbo from 10 years ago and deliver linier torque and power, none of this floor it and wait for everything at once up in the rev range rubbish like old Turbo’s. My old Holden Astra had a very small turbo but through the tight stuff it would pull miles ahead of the old EVO’s and WRX’s, it’s all about flexibility and drivability, the turbo motor has come a long way.

Can’t wait to see the tuned version in the next generation 5 series M5 and the upcoming M-X6.

Cheers for the pictures.

Yes true to some extent but displacement will more than make up for that as it will flow a lot of exhaust gasses so lag wouldn't be an issue, with that setup it will have immediate response but will die off near the top, being a v8 probably won't matter much but I'd imagine some decent size turbos would really make it an animal. Twin GT30's anyone?

piston height like a F1 engine . not a lot of mass there!!

I wonder what those boxes at the front are? Water to air?

Yep

Is interesting to see that they've used pretty standard looking internal wastegates instead of some flashy Variable Geometry stuff / Variable vane / whatever you want to call it.

/Edit - The twin FPR's and rather short plumbing is awesome..

Drool..

Edited by Mattzy

Yes true to some extent but displacement will more than make up for that as it will flow a lot of exhaust gasses so lag wouldn't be an issue, with that setup it will have immediate response but will die off near the top, being a v8 probably won't matter much but I'd imagine some decent size turbos would really make it an animal. Twin GT30's anyone?

For sure, it would go hard….Only problem is you would spend 5 years getting it to work :(

I was meaning the new wave Turbo engines Europe are throwing out, modern small turbos are awesome, not the big rush of the larger high performance turbo but flexible as hell and very efficient. Compare Opel’s Z20LEH to the larger turbo SR20DET to get an idea.

Let’s see what M come up with, I would think slightly larger Turbo’s, and intercoolers, better fuelling and exhaust should net a lazy reliable 500+BHP without the high strain of the current V10.

I wonder what those boxes at the front are? Water to air?

Either water cooled or refrigerant cooled intercoolers