Sign in to follow this  
bekker

Another day another problem

Until I drive it again and then remember why I love it so much!

Anyway hoping for some help on this one.

One of my windscreen washer jets is very weak - barely gets onto the windscreen.

I took the lining off the bonnet and there is a little valve. The valve appears to have two relief holes which are squirting water all over the engine bay. When I block the two holes nothing comes out of the jets at all!

Is it likely I have a blockage in one of the jets or a faulty valve. The passengers side jet works brilliantly and the drivers one 'looks' clean.

It seems like an overly complex system. Should I just replace the valve with a T-junction or is this valve vital.

Small issue I know but it's frustrating me!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Its a one way non return valve...would work better with the correct valve

Thanks.

Decided just to buy one anyway.

Only $17 and Jeff Grey has them in stock!

Must be BMW's cheapest part!

Cheers.

Until I drive it again and then remember why I love it so much!

Cheers.

Thanks.

Decided just to buy one anyway.

Only $17 and Jeff Grey has them in stock!

Must be BMW's cheapest part!

Cheers.

True that, after three state road side rescues in three months I still like mine and would rather it than a Camry that never goes wrong… my missus on the other hand thinks its a piece of sh*t and I should sell it!

I got OEM some trim clips for $2.30.. Must be something cheaper ^_^

Sump washer?

My better half has already laid down the law! Next car will be a Jap wagon. I reluctantly agreed. Told her the Legacy GT or Stagea are very economical!!!!! Lets see if I get away it!

BTW, that E30 touring is seriously sexy. Best looking touring BMW have done. Now, if I could just get my hands on an Alpina I'd tell her all deals are off!

And then have to find somewhere else to live.

BTW, that E30 touring is seriously sexy. Best looking touring BMW have done. Now, if I could just get my hands on an Alpina I'd tell her all deals are off!

And then have to find somewhere else to live.

Lol - in the back of the touring... :ph34r: but still parked out the front of hers! lmao.

Lol - in the back of the touring... :ph34r: but still parked out the front of hers! lmao.

Damn cars!

True that, after three state road side rescues in three months I still like mine and would rather it than a Camry that never goes wrong… my missus on the other hand thinks its a piece of sh*t and I should sell it!

Cork washer off the throttle body, well under a dollar, can't remember the exact price.

my missus on the other hand thinks its a piece of sh*t and I should sell it!

Ahahaha

Divorce could be a solution... makeup costs more than looking after a nice BMW...probably more fun as well....and you wont get wet

Divorce could be a solution... makeup costs more than looking after a nice BMW...probably more fun as well....and you wont get wet

you might get wet if your windscreen washer thing plays up again

you might get wet if your windscreen washer thing plays up again

Forgot about that... New BMW product listing... OEM Durex washer nozzle covers

Buy the subaru GT spend sh*t loads more on servicing and overpriced parts and fuel becuase they are the worst for economy if you want any level of reasonable performance and join the sub club so you have someone to winge to.

Or buy a car that has been looked after and you are less likely have as many niggling or pricey repair bills

Chillout mate,

Seriously isnt this half the fun and reason people buy 'older' bmw's, half their character is fixing things etc and learning more about the car as you go.

The guy was only asking advice, if you dont want to read about whinging, I suggest you dont read the maintanence forum????

The guy was only asking advice, if you dont want to read about whinging, I suggest you dont read the maintanence forum????

:lol: +1.

Not to hi-jack thread but I've had current car about 3 weeks now and last week I had the radiator flushed $290.00! With a recommendation that V fan be replaced, poss rodding of radiator...

I discovered the following night after flushing that there was still a leak from somewhere. An hour or so later of surfing various forums etc it's looking like the water pump seals may be shot.

Pick up car today, said pump had been leaking from bleed hole thingameejig and was replaced. $430.00 total for job!!

Then spent another hundy this evening on some bits n pieces including a rear door which will need replacing (and painting) before summer ends... Upside was meeting jono51!!

Gsus, luckily i love this dam car!!! Anyone in welly know of some other mechanics and a good panel beater... I'm tempted to use the propa bmr workshop if this is a standard cost! <_< ....

Guest Spottswoode

But E30 (I mean, Auckland anniversary) meets are way cooler than jappa meets :D

Tell ya what, I've recently had some brilliant service for Powerhaus on Tinakori Road (Wellington).

They know their stuff and their hourly rate is not bad either.

I think thats where I'll be heading. The guy (Mike) in their parts department was very good too. Got my control arm bushes quickly and for a good price.

All round, happy.

Thats the one i have never had any issues with Powerhaus, never done wrong and very good to talk with

Cheers

but its all about learning your car 3 years later, 2 engines and im still confused with my engine

Tell ya what, I've recently had some brilliant service for Powerhaus on Tinakori Road (Wellington).

They know their stuff and their hourly rate is not bad either.

I think thats where I'll be heading. The guy (Mike) in their parts department was very good too. Got my control arm bushes quickly and for a good price.

All round, happy.

Thats the one i have never had any issues with Powerhaus, never done wrong and very good to talk with

Cheers

but its all about learning your car 3 years later, 2 engines and im still confused with my engine

haha, cheers. W'shop I've been using is convenient to my home, and the guys are friendly enough but def keen to check out some other places. Think their hourly is around $75.

Jono51 has offered to supervise/teach me a few diy jobs. First up is this viscous fan replacement... :ph34r:

Gsus, luckily i love this dam car!!! Anyone in welly know of some other mechanics and a good panel beater... I'm tempted to use the propa bmr workshop if this is a standard cost! <_< ....

For panel beating I'd recommend Tidy car in Wellington:

16 Haining Street

Te Aro, Wellington 6011

(04) 384 2689

They have done some outstanding work on my E36

The guy who sold me the car used a mechanic here in Wellie but I can't tell you anything about them yet. I'm going for an inspection and a WOF next week so you'll get my 2c then.

Peace

R

For panel beating I'd recommend Tidy car in Wellington:

16 Haining Street

Te Aro, Wellington 6011

(04) 384 2689

They have done some outstanding work on my E36

The guy who sold me the car used a mechanic here in Wellie but I can't tell you anything about them yet. I'm going for an inspection and a WOF next week so you'll get my 2c then.

Peace

R

Appreciate the heads up. I was out trying to find the colour for mine from the previous owners painter/panel beater in lower hutt today. No joy. Sticker with colour code info has been lost prior to me buying... Only info the painter remembered about it was that it was a 'prik of a job' matching...

Did find a really helpfull place out in lower hutt called union hardware (i think) automotive paint. Guy went through 3 or 4 bmw paint sampler books and we still couldn't get a match!! Will try shellys on mon.

Will post some pics over w'end case someone here has/knows the colour...

Cheers

Edited by BLACK DORIS

Just slightly off (but still on) the subject, I downloaded a later Haynes manual for the E30, E28, and E34, then compared the torque specs for the lower control arms to the specs in my old paper Haynes manual for the 520i and 525e.

The torque specs in the later (downloaded) manual are nearly twice those in the old paper one!

Could this explain why I've been chewing through control arm bushes???

Appreciate the heads up. I was out trying to find the colour for mine from the previous owners painter/panel beater in lower hutt today. No joy. Sticker with colour code info has been lost prior to me buying... Only info the painter remembered about it was that it was a 'prik of a job' matching...

Did find a really helpfull place out in lower hutt called union hardware (i think) automotive paint. Guy went through 3 or 4 bmw paint sampler books and we still couldn't get a match!! Will try shellys on mon.

Will post some pics over w'end case someone here has/knows the colour...

Cheers

I thought you could trace the paint and interior codes from the VIN or am I wrong? Edited by bekker