Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Wayne's Headers Go Well

Thought i might post up a few pics of the change over as there is nothing on these headers yet.

Its relatively simple to remove the standard exhaust manifold. All i had to do was cut the pipes off a foot before the primary muffler

post-2821-1235952639_thumb.jpg

unbolt the clamp

post-2821-1235952653_thumb.jpg

and remove the nuts from the head studs

post-2821-1235953214_thumb.jpg

(a few of the studs came out aswell

post-2821-1235953059_thumb.jpg

but its not difficult to get the nuts off them (if anyone has any trouble give me a pm before you go grabbing the stud with vice grips, as this DOES damage the thread). Once everything is free moving it was easy enough to pull the whole manifold out.

post-2821-1235952969_thumb.jpg

Once everything was out i put all the studs back in (making sure they were all the same depth in)

post-2821-1235953059_thumb.jpg

I did have pics of the install but my freakin' bro deleted them. It was a bit of a mission getting the new maniold down and into position. You should only have to remove the oil filter to get them in but it took me a while and a little practice to get them fitted, but every car is different.

When you've got the spaghetti in the mids slip over the end of the secondaries and seal with the help of some clamps and manifold glue applied to contacting surfaces (be liberal with this as you dont want leaks, and any excess will burn off), you should have it looking like this

post-2821-1235954395_thumb.jpg

I got the mids welded to the front muffler by jason at Woolfe mufflers.

A big thanks goes to Wayne for helping me out, i couldn't have done it without you. These headers are A class and definitely produced more power at the wheels. They are not any louder than stock and look great under the hood

post-2821-1235954666_thumb.jpg

Next up is map ecu 2 and a remap at hi velocity.

Thanks all.

post-2821-1235952668_thumb.jpg

Edited by André3000

I can definatly vouch for these, have had them in my car for around 6mths now! Definatly A-class! More power/torque etc. ...just gotta sort the rest of the exhaust system now!

Good stuff, they really do make the car rev harder and smoother don’t they, was well impressed with mine.

I had a few teething problems, the welds on the manifold restricted the head bolts from tightening properly.. remedied the problem by cutting the side of a washer off to clear the weld and make the bolts tighten flat and straight.

Looks like you have similar plans to me.

Damn, doesn't look like they leave enough room for my s/c and piping. I was thinking of getting some of these once I had that done.

Isn't your primary muffler a cat? If so, removing it and replacing with a muffler may improve power.

h, and I'm sure you realise but looks like you've got a decent oil leak - seems to be on the gearbox.

Edited by bravo

i used to have a huge oil leek with my gearbox turned out to be oil dripping through the back of the head (head gasket) onto the gearbox, started happening 2 weeks before the engine blew :(

headers look awesome tho :)

Damn, doesn't look like they leave enough room for my s/c and piping. I was thinking of getting some of these once I had that done.

Isn't your primary muffler a cat? If so, removing it and replacing with a muffler may improve power.

h, and I'm sure you realise but looks like you've got a decent oil leak - seems to be on the gearbox.

Im nt sure about the cat, maybe glenn or someone can help me identify it as a cat or not?

Yeah the leak is not so serious, just a tad messy thats all. If you work under the car for an hour or so im sure you could blend in easily at the line to kfc in otara ^_^

Andre3000 were you planning on putting exhaust manifold gaskets on there with the heat sheilds?? These headers get bloody hot and i'm sure could melt through your leads! Even with my gaskets/sheilds there is a fair bit of heat under the bonnet!!

Andre3000 were you planning on putting exhaust manifold gaskets on there with the heat sheilds?? These headers get bloody hot and i'm sure could melt through your leads! Even with my gaskets/sheilds there is a fair bit of heat under the bonnet!!

Atm im gna run the non-heat shields as i seem not to have a problem and no-one else seems to have had any. After a thorough drive the other day i opened the hood to see how hot they were and i was able to hold the leads in my hand comfortably, so im thinking they'll be alright.

Thanks for your detailed description Andrew, great job. Was pleasure working with you. Your car is very nice.

Ray [Hell BM] has a set fitted to his Cabio and has no issues with excess heat to lead area.

The stock cast manifold appears to produce more heat than Headers. The header look is enhanced without shields also.

looks wicked man!! nice job!

go the 4 doors!

Edited by M 325i

Can I come have a look?

Yup sure can, just drop moi a text if ur keen 0211483020

looks wicked man!! nice job!

go the 4 doors!

Hahaha f**k yeah :D

Can I come have a look?

… didn’t you have a nosey when we were parked up on the cruise??

I got a new set of heat shields for mine, I figured BMW fit them on the standard manifold which doesn’t let out as much heat as the stainless so I best fit them! They don’t hinder the look at all.

Had mine glowing last week so I need at the protection I can get.

I got a new set of heat shields for mine, I figured BMW fit them on the standard manifold which doesn’t let out as much heat as the stainless so I best fit them! They don’t hinder the look at all.

+1 did exactly the same thing! And from memory the weren't cheap either, about 50 each new for oem ones with sheilds! Had mine 'glowing and then some' round manfield! haha. Probably some of the best money i've spent on my e30! Good on ya Wayne!

So the verdict is heat shields or no heat shields?

thanks

:rolleyes:

Yes

Use them. It makes sense.

Go for new as you stock ones will be worn.

if you feel rich,and need to be,you could get the folks at HPC to heat treat them.

cuts upto 40% heat apparently.

that or heat wrap.only problem is the steel gets 'cooked' and ruins nice headser over time and looks alittle cheap

m

if you feel rich,and need to be,you could get the folks at HPC to heat treat them.

cuts upto 40% heat apparently.

that or heat wrap.only problem is the steel gets 'cooked' and ruins nice headser over time and looks alittle cheap

m

Some people also comment that as the exhaust gas retains more heat it travels faster thus giving more performance... 

I will have some soon with a ceramic coating similar to HPC.

Said to add about 4hp and reduce under hood temp dramatically.

Will cost around $150 more per set.

Any news on ones to fit my E36 yet Wayne?

Hi Brian, yes looking good for long header! Ordering now, will be in touch.

mmmmm, maybe should have spent more time on price investigation

before sending my bits off to HPC.$150 is 20% of what i paid.crap

They have a monoply and a good product, so charge accordingly.

Any news on 46 long headers ? Did they come through with that 'specail' RHD design in the end :) ?