Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

BMW 850 CSI

Last time I checked, this was a forum. The whole idea about this forum is to discuss BMW's.

This actual thread was started to discuss the car and was not the owner listing it in the for sale section. If something like this is listed, are we expected to say "nice car" and simply move on? I think the original poster thought the outrageous price was a talking point and thus drew our attention to it. As for other car prices I've commented on, 99% of the time it has been when people have asked for the forums opinion on a price or when a car is listed in the Trademe Discussions section.

I will never apologise about letting an opinion be known. The price asked for this car is ridiculous, and everyone knows it. Why are you so sensitive, do you know the seller? If someone lists something for sale at an extremely high price, they open themselves up for discussion. Do you think we should ban newspaper articles talking about how a $10m apartment is way over priced? How about a segment on the 6 o'clock news talking about a restaurant selling mains for $60...

This whole forum is getting a bit too PC for my liking. It's wankers like you that run around acting like quasi school teachers that make this a very boring place to be. I never knocked the car, just commented on its ridiculous price.

so i am a wanker for expressing my opinion but somehow you are not?

This whole forum is getting a bit too PC for my liking. It's wankers like you that run around acting like quasi school teachers that make this a very boring place to be. I never knocked the car, just commented on its ridiculous price.

This forum isnt getting PC, were just getting more than a little fed up with people banging on about the same old crap.

Paul has a point Jeremy, your the first person to comment on anything you think is overpriced and the last person to accept it when its pointed out to you.

Your opinion is its overpriced, Pauls opinion is that your always moaning. So take it on the chin and move on.

If the place is so boring why dont you go find somewhere else to play ?

This forum isnt getting PC, were just getting more than a little fed up with people banging on about the same old crap.

Paul has a point Jeremy, your the first person to comment on anything you think is overpriced and the last person to accept it when its pointed out to you.

Your opinion is its overpriced, Pauls opinion is that your always moaning. So take it on the chin and move on.

If the place is so boring why dont you go find somewhere else to play ?

Being a E31 fan and owning a Hell red 98 4.4 840ci sport in manual, I love this car. I think it embodies everything that it is; the super coupe that BMW needed to take on other marques in terms of performance and looks during the 90's whn the 850i did not quite have the performance. Realistically maybe it should be priced at $115k when you compare the prices of some other 'super cars' from its era like Astons, Porsches, and Ferraris. However, it is a BMW and they depreciate so much quicker, and I believe people in this country simply do not understand nor appreciate this car for what it is.

It suits a collector who wants to add to their BMW collection. However, how many people do we have like that in NZ prepared to pay premium?

In this economic climate I actually think it would be priced in the right zone around the $70 mark. Once cannot make comparisons to the US and UK markets to determine a price for the NZ market. Even though there are less special cars like this in NZ, we have less people and a cheap car market. When a Ferrari 360 goes for auction for at $105k recently it clearly puts things in perspective.

I like the car; it is fabulous - I had until a year ago a E24 M6 and a 850csi would have ben the logical progression (but I cannot afford one). I do belive though, that if the owner is keen on that type of cash he needs to somehow look to market this car overseas like Australia or even the UK. Otherwise he may have to wait awhile.

This place is going down hill at a great rate of knots lately, people bickering left, right and center over the most stupid sh*t.

But that's just my opinion :D

Looks brilliant in red that thing. Can't say I'd be handing over 115 slides for it tho, imagine how you could fill your garage up with 115k, I'd be leaning towards a E55 AMG Supercharged, an M3 and an X5 if you squeeze you buy right.

That second one Glenn would have to be worth more I'd imagine?

Its their perogative to put whatever price on their car.

Just as it's the responder's prerogative to offer his opinion in a discussion forum.

You DO NOT always have to pipe up and put their value down

At the end of the day, it's the market that determines the vehicle's worth, not some comment made by some guy on this forum.

I will never apologise about letting an opinion be known.

Nor should you.

Personally, I don't know anything about these cars - both of the listings seem absurdly overprices to me, but obviously I'm not that market this vehicle is aimed at. When (if) either of these cars sells, that is when we'll have a good idea of the value. Personally, when I see what else there is in this price range, I can't see either of them selling, particularly in a recession, where fewer people have this kind of money lying around or available through finance. Then again, some collector might come along and see the 850CSI as a "must have" piece. In that case, it's quite obvious which one will sell first.

I actually think its an interesting situation. They are undoubtedly rare. Hoever, it's questionable if they are in short supply, and ultimately the pricing will be determined by whether they are rare and desirable.

The two don't always go together.

This will be another one to discuss then too

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...998&ed=true

Hey there Glenn,

This is Ross's friend Sanjay. What a wonderful car! I have a question for you - I notice it has style 5 wheels - do you know whether it arrived like that ex-factory? From what I know, I thought the 850csi's were all delivered with Throwing stars originally seen on the E34 M5.

Irrespective, it looks great with the style 5's (I have them on my 840 ci sport). Good luck with the sale. They are define a special part of BMW's history - the 'almost' ///M8.

Regards.

Edited by ssbmw

Hey there Glenn,

This is Ross's friend Sanjay. What a wonderful car! I have a question for you - I notice it has style 5 wheels - do you know whether it arrived like that ex-factory? From what I know, I thought the 850csi's were all delivered with Throwing stars originally seen on the E34 M5.

Irrespective, it looks great with the style 5's (I have them on my 840 ci sport). Good luck with the sale. They are define a special part of BMW's history - the 'almost' ///M8.

Regards.

As you see it was how it was delivered to the owner new in Hong Kong (option 299)...$70,000 is not the reserve

Edited by *Glenn*

Despite all the emotions going on, has anyone else noticed the weight of that car???? How the hell does it stay on the friggen road! Very very cool! Would love one but heard the 840 is the more reliable vehicle? (Engine wise).

Despite all the emotions going on, has anyone else noticed the weight of that car???? How the hell does it stay on the friggen road! Very very cool! Would love one but heard the 840 is the more reliable vehicle? (Engine wise).

You really need to drive one to appreciate how they perform.. especially the 4 wheel steering at low speed and then accelorating through the twisties

What's up with the rev counter in one of the photos?

For over $100k, I would be expecting it to include a Swedish bikini team - but that's just me. Call me tight if you want....

My guess is that in these economic times, both might be waiting a while for a new home (unfortunately for the current owners). For me, they are discretionary vehicles and that's the first thing that gets cut when money is tight.

I still like them though!

What's up with the rev counter in one of the photos?

Just driving it like I stole it :wub: Brad took that photo

Indeed I did. We were trying to get to the speed limit as quickly as possible :) The 850CSi has a graduated redline, 6400rpm in 1st, then 6200rpm in 2nd, then 6100, 6100, 6000, 6000.

Personally if I had to choose between the two cars (at the same price) I'd pick the red one, even though I know that the silver one has been very lovingly cared for by Glenn and I know it is in perfect condition.

Simply I prefer the red.

So would I if I was in the market... the red one is a nice car

Just driving it like I stole it :wub: Brad took that photo

Silly me - I wondered if the rev counter was some kind of self test. Didn't look at the speedo or think the car might actually have been being driven!

I have a policy with my car of trying to make sure it sees the upper revs once the oil's up to temp. I want the Vanos to work through its range.