Sign in to follow this  
2quik4u

318 is performance questions

Hello all I have a 1997 318 is stock, I would like to know what can i do to make it faster ... it tops out at 120 mph or 200 kph why its like if it had a cut off switch or something in it ? weird .... today I went up against a 2002 ser nissan I had him but then the ser caught me and passed me I was surprised and pissed so now im looking into trying to get my bimmer up to par or shall i say quicker please advise

Anthony

buy a 328i manual or a m3

Ok ok ,

Trolling

"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

0/10

If your not trolling, refer to reply number 1.

Street racing is not tolerated on Bimersport. If you were on a track, I'd suggest talking to some of the guys you were racing with for a start. Another great resource would be the e30 race series guys on here.

If you want some serious answers do some research first, then post back with specific questions.

Otherwise, if street racing IS your thing, this site IS NOT for you.

BTW, e30 speedos are notoriously wrong at higher speeds. You weren't doing anywhere near 180km/h. Sorry.

Good thread would read again.

If you think street racing is mAd YO you should find another forum to post stupid b**sh*t.

Be suprised if you hit 120mph in a 150 hp car anywhere on a road in NZ really.

150hp's a bit optimistic Nathan. Isn't the is around 130-0dd - ie 320 power but better response and weight distro?

Guest Ari Gold

Street racing is not tolerated on Bimersport. If you were on a track, I'd suggest talking to some of the guys you were racing with for a start. Another great resource would be the e30 race series guys on here.

If you want some serious answers do some research first, then post back with specific questions.

Otherwise, if street racing IS your thing, this site IS NOT for you.

BTW, e30 speedos are notoriously wrong at higher speeds. You weren't doing anywhere near 180km/h. Sorry.

www.rif.org

Edit: The old 318iSA could only get to 180kph with 3 people in the car with luggage for a week away

Edited by Ari Gold

On the topic of the speedos being wrong, If you've got an obc and you want to see how fast your actually going, just reset the av speed button and it usually reads out about 7km (which increases the faster you get) lower than ur speedo.

But back OT if you want to go faster. Cheapest mod is weight reduction. I removed the rubber sound insulation and spare tire when i had my old 325 and it felt a hell of alot faster/nimbler (if thats a word).

If you wanted performance the 318 model was probably not the wisest choice of vehicle unless the performance you were after was economy?

Edited by André3000

On the topic of the speedos being wrong, If you've got an obc and you want to see how fast your actually going, just reset the av speed button and it usually reads out about 7km (which increases the faster you get) lower than ur speedo.

I can vouch for that, although mine was mostly and offset in speed - only a very small scale in there as well.

Tested with GPS - OBC was pretty much spot on - an adjustment of the speedo later and it's fairly good now. Havn't testing above license-losing speed though, so may still be out up there.

Edited by bravo

Look guys gals etc first of all, I wasn't street racing second of all I was looking for help pertaining to the car topping out or if heir was a restrictor of some sorts on the vehicle it is a man transmission and it's georgeous in every sense of the word 18 '' crome rims etc etc ... just wanted some input and fuel economy was a factor when I purchased it.

Huh? The guy said 1997 318iS, Wouldn't that make it an E36..? With an M42..?

Look guys gals etc first of all, I wasn't street racing

Enlighten us then... where did all this high speed driving occur then ??

Maybe remove the chrommies... it might go faster... they are heavy wheels

Enlighten us then... where did all this high speed driving occur then ??

Maybe remove the chrommies... it might go faster... they are heavy wheels

I am from costa rica we have a high speed track here that is where it happened any ways do the bmw have a cut off switch ? do they top out and then cut off ?

Yeah those electric superchargers.. Had my 316i hitting 228kph.

I'd post up my dyno sheet but, I lost it. 284rwhp on low boost.

Yeah those electric superchargers.. Had my 316i hitting 228kph.

I'd post up my dyno sheet but, I lost it. 284rwhp on low boost.

Jimmy

What brand of electric supercharger were you running and where can i buy one?

Id definitely be keen just to bolt one on my 320... That will be insane! Id get to 250kph no problem!

Also do they make them for '89 GL corollas? could stick one on my sisters auto thing!

cheers :ph34r:

Edited by _BRS_

The electric superchargers can be pricey, I would suggest an adjustable powerband. http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=...;products_id=30

Nah, those adjustable powerbands are still too expensive. Id be going for something like a "Boost Bar"

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=...;products_id=39

Cheers for the link.

Yeah a bit pricey. If i can flick off my parts car id get an adjustable powerband straight away

-B

The cool thing about those electric superchargers is that they have been proved to override the cut off switch!!