Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

It's at the exhaust shop now.

Greg , was that you that came and had a look and help push it in ?

Or else it was some other random who came over to have a look and helped push it into the workshop up onto the lift.

FFS, Guy reckons downpipe + full 2.5" back will be $400. Take him til Friday-ish possibly.

Can't even do my wastegate! Ohwell.

Nah wasn't me mate, had the day off. Seems $400 is pretty cheap for full 2.5" exhaust.

Back to the grind tomorrow so will check it out then.

Hell yeah $400 is cheap. Been quoted over 600 for full 2.5...

Checked it out today, doesn't look too bad John, that turbo is crazy big.

Overall looks clean.

Guest FrantiC

Checked it out today, doesn't look too bad John, that turbo is crazy big.

Overall looks clean.

Cheers.

Yeah, should be good size for the engine. Most 2.7 setups I have read spool full boost with a t3/t4 around 3000rpm (10-12psi range) which isn't too bad at all. I am going to put a 8psi spring for now and start low for now just to get a cert and warrant.

Disappointed though the dump pipe is only 2 1/4" then a 2.5" back through a straight through resonator and my old muffler. Should be OK I guess, was hoping atleast 2.5" the whole way. He said he should be done by the end of today, then it's off to Quality Auto to have them laser cut the manifold and fit the wastegate and dump pipe for that..

Then back home sometime next week, install the new slave cylinder, boost gauge, wrap exhaust manifold then hopefully I can get it running from there! And Pictures of the exhaust etc all done.

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

Off to pic it up now actually. Taking the manifold out to have wastegate done elsewere though.

Well it's BACK and exhaust is all now done. Have to get the wastegate sorted though, probably next week now.... But I have the pipe etc for it just need the manifold laser cut and tig'd.

Soooooo close now. Going to try get pics!

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

apologies for multiple posting.....

Anyone have experience with welding their wastegate to a turbo exhaust housing?? Seems an easy route for me to take rather than pulling the manifold and having it laser cut then trying to figure out how to run the dump pipe for it that way then change it to a screamer later on..

I haven't had any experience, but it is definitely an option (eg have seen it on a Ford RS200 Group B car, so can't be all bad). Will need someone very, very good at their work to ensure it doesn't crack.

I popped in and had a look just before he started on it, what's the work like?

John I was actually going to run my wastegate off the exhaust housing on my setup also, its definitely feaseable. Like Cam said though... whoever does should be very cinfident in their work be a pity to have to buy another exhaust housing etc..

Guest FrantiC

From what I did see when it was up in the air on the lift, which was dump pipe down to muffler, everything was done very well. Quite impressed to be honest, Other work he had done on the exhaust left it hanging down quite low but this one fits very snug up under the chassis. Everything behind it is also looks like a very good fit.

The dump pipe is very tight. He had to remove the heatshield and sound deadening around the firewall area to fit the pipe which was only a 2.25" dump pipe with a slip joint (couldn't fit flanges) then 2.5" back.

All in all quite happy other than the dump pipe being only a 2.25". But oh well.

Will have a look around see if anyone can do the exhaust housing wastegate flange, or might just fit a wastegate in. I want to have a system were I can bolt from screamer to plumb'd back exhaust for WOF's etc.

Or maybe will i get away with no wastegate at all , for now (cert then WOF)?

No no no no no.

The wastegate performs a vital function - stopping the boost from going as high as the turbine and motor can make it. No wastegate = 25psi+ (at a guess).

Guest FrantiC

No no no no no.

The wastegate performs a vital function - stopping the boost from going as high as the turbine and motor can make it. No wastegate = 25psi+ (at a guess).

Yeah, well of course I would drive it sensibly but yeah I guess who knows what the cert guy would do Lol.

I wish I could take pictures to show what F all room I have and the awkward position it would sit. I have an idea and the guy gave me a small bend that would sit the wastegate roughly at exhaust height. His idea was to get the pipe tigd to the manifold, weld the flange directly to the dump pipe, then the wastegate would bolt directly to the exhaust and have a pipe coming from the manifold.

Check attached picture, Green is the exhaust dump pipe off the turbo. Red are the wastegate flanges and blue is the wastegate.

Is that OK? Would have to turn bottom flange 90 degrees to be able to run a dump pipe of it though... for a screamer pipe.. So what a pain chaning the angle of it for WOF etc,..

post-3156-1247131148_thumb.png

Edited by FrantiC

I might be missing the point here but if you want to weld the waste gate to the exhaust housing (cast iron) then I'm pretty sure the wastegate flange will have to be cast iron also. it is also very tricky to weld properly.

2.25" is not cool at all, especially for a 2.7L? why is your man having so much trouble fitting a 2.5 or 3" past the steering column? poor manifold design? I had no worries with 2.5" on my first attempt at a wastepipe (done on axle stands) and manifold?

Dont' take that as a dig, If I did my setup again I'd change/improve so much stuff and know how tricky they can be to pull off properly

EDIT 1: Ignore that

EDIT 2: That could work. Whats the obsession with screamer pipe? Seriously get the car working properly first

Edited by Mike

Guest FrantiC

I might be missing the point here but if you want to weld the waste gate to the exhaust housing (cast iron) then I'm pretty sure the wastegate flange will have to be cast iron also. it is also very tricky to weld properly.

2.25" is not cool at all, especially for a 2.7L? why is your man having so much trouble fitting a 2.5 or 3" past the steering column? poor manifold design? I had no worries with 2.5" on my first attempt at a wastepipe (done on axle stands) and manifold?

Dont' take that as a dig, If I did my setup again I'd change/improve so much stuff and know how tricky they can be to pull off properly

EDIT: To me that pic looks as though your wastgate is coming off the waste pipe (after the turbo). How is that going to vent excess exhaust gasses around the turbo?

its the usual way around sorry, as in the excess comes up the pipe, then vents directly int the sid of the exhaust. Should have drawn the top of the wastegate ontop of it in the picture. Dump is INTO the exhaust, from the manfiold.

Yep definitley not happy with the small dump pipe.. Will see what I can do anyhow, will have to do for now with low boost anyways shouldn't be that much of an issue until i start pushing higher i guess. I think the manifold was designed for LHD, so no concern for a steering column. With a steering column there it's like WTF.

Edited by FrantiC

Yeah major balls up there (on my part). realised as soon as i posted

Edited by Mike

Guest FrantiC

Does it look aite like that though ? That is one of my possible ideas, Looks like wastegate on turbo housing will be even more of a pain..

Will hopefully get the camera going tomorrow or borrow one or somethnig.. thread fails with no pictures dammit.

Does it look aite like that though ? That is one of my possible ideas, Looks like wastegate on turbo housing will be even more of a pain..

Will hopefully get the camera going tomorrow or borrow one or somethnig.. thread fails with no pictures dammit.

i have sucessfuly welded (fused) waste gate flanges to cast iron headers. it can be done.

more like braze welding. im a certifyed welder...need a hand?

Guest FrantiC

Nah, It's all good.

Last to do now is:

Install clutch Slave cylinder.

Brake booster hoses.

1 vacuum hose, for the wastegate.

Have manifold laser cut and pipe tig'd on then wastegate flange, then pipe to plumb back into the dump pipe. i know how I am going to do this now, so should be sweet.

Need to buy some BPR7ES sparkplugs.

Then i can carry on with starting it up and testing my wasted spark works.. So it's only really minor things at the mo. Will add a video eventually since I can't do pic's at the moment..

Edited by FrantiC

Hey John-i've got a basic digital,takes good pics-you're welcome to borrow it

Everyones hanging out for a look-send me a pm if u want it

Mark.

I've always known John to have the wastegate pipe atleast a couple of feet back from the turbo before it goes back into the exhaust system.. my understanding is that this allows the exhaust gases to flow freely after the exhaust wheel providing descent flow, hence the reason to have a nice sized downpipe also. So strange that you cant fit a 2.5" downpipe in your system when I managed to fit 3" in mine and my setup looks alot tighter than yours haha!

Guest FrantiC

Trust me luke, If you saw it in person you would see the lack of room due to how the runners stick out, then how yours would be, the number 5 runner on mine goes under and sits all very close to the steering arm. I have figured how I am going to do the wastegate and dump pipe now. I have removed the manifold, turbo and dum p pipe left it all connected so i can take it to the shop and have it all done without my car there, marked it out where I need it and going to have it dump into the exhaust right before it joins to the rest of the exhaust.

Then I will get a few more flanges so I can can swap out and block the dump into exhaust for a screamer pipe. For warrants etc.

Trust me luke, If you saw it in person you would see the lack of room due to how the runners stick out, then how yours would be, the number 5 runner on mine goes under and sits all very close to the steering arm. I have figured how I am going to do the wastegate and dump pipe now. I have removed the manifold, turbo and dum p pipe left it all connected so i can take it to the shop and have it all done without my car there, marked it out where I need it and going to have it dump into the exhaust right before it joins to the rest of the exhaust.

Then I will get a few more flanges so I can can swap out and block the dump into exhaust for a screamer pipe. For warrants etc.

apparently its illegal to do that like at vtnz n stuff

Guest FrantiC

Yeah well for first time cert and WOF, i will just plumb it into the exhaust and then after it I will put a screamer and go from there..

(my first WOF has to be from VTNZ anyways, cos it's pink stinkered from 4 months ago for being too low).

Edited by FrantiC