Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

Yeah well for first time cert and WOF, i will just plumb it into the exhaust and then after it I will put a screamer and go from there..

(my first WOF has to be from VTNZ anyways, cos it's pink stinkered from 4 months ago for being too low).

ahhh right right fair enuf then good thinking lol

but yeh thats a good idea :D

Guest FrantiC

Goal for this week is to have it running..

Just fitted in some BPR7ES spark plugs. 1 degree colder than stock..

New leads fitted to the sparkplugs now so all that needs to be done is settings on the ECU to run 3 spark outputs for 3 coils. Hopefully borrowing a laptop and get that all going by the end of the week, with the stock manifold + downpipe for now, no turbo. Just to work an idle. Then I will get the wastegate sorted on thursday and yeppp pretty much if it runs it should be ready for a cert once the wastegates plumbed back!

Guest FrantiC

New video to come in the morning.

Spent most of tonight on my sisters laptop plugged into megasquirt, have now full wired up and setup Wasted spark on the ECU etc. TunerStudio is WIN!

Changed a few things around, cut the fuel down, changed a few other settings.

Everything communicates sweet, TunerStudio is 100x better than megasquirt was to use. Was not able to start the car though, manifold's off didn't wanna annoy the olds tonight lol so tomorrow morning will be plugging the laptop back in and will see how I go with a first official start up once I put the manifold back on..

(wastegate will be put on next week). Wanna spend the weekend while my sister is here with her laptop, get it running ! Hopefully all goes well , can't wait for the morning!

Dope.

If it starts will you continue to video the first drive? Do it.

Guest FrantiC

Dope.

If it starts will you continue to video the first drive? Do it.

Nah I can't, still have no licence haha. Get it back on the 27th of this month. 10 more days woo hoo!

Guest FrantiC

Pssh, Get your sister to drive :P

Heh, no way will she get the privilege to drive my car first!

Do a skid

Do it John, peer pressures on! Besides its not Turbo until the turbo is bolted on :P so you will be the first to drive it turbd up.

Guest FrantiC

OMFG WTF!!!!

ANOTHER FAILED ATTEMPT.

BUT WTF, HAVE THE CAR JACKED UP HAD SOME WATER LEAKING AT THE HEATER INLETS.

BUT................ WATERY AS OIL COMING OUT OFF THE OIL DRAIN HOLE AND THE TURBO OIL DRAIN IN THE OILPAN ALSO HAD SOME WATER DRIPPING OUT....... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG GOING TO START DISMANTLING THINGS NOW THOUGH.. WHEN IT CRANKS IT CLUNKS HARDOUT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING IS F***** INSIDE!!

NOT HAPPY OMG..

/RANT

Guest FrantiC

OHHHHH NO WAIT IT'S FUEL... LEAKED DOWN THE CYLINDERS INTO THE OIL, PROBABLY FLOODED THE CYLINDERS AND NOW A MONTH LATER ITS ALL DOWN IN THE OIL.... EEEEEEK,

GOING TO DRAIN IT OUT.. PUT SOME NEW OIL IN THERE, UNPLUG THE LOOM AND LET IT CRANK ABIT TO EMPTY OUT.

GOOD NEWS IT SPARKS ETC, I THINK THE STARTER MOTOR IS SCREWED UP THOUGH ONLY HAD 1 BOLT HOLDING IT IN DAMMIT..

Stink. Hopefully you get it sorted.

You shouldnt rush, be patient and take your time, otherwise you'll break more sh*t.

Guest FrantiC

Nah I ain't rushing, I went through every setting thing making sure they were right etc, only a few things I actually knew what they were.

Got some advice to drop fuel right down and after abit of cranking and a dead battery I walked back around the car and saw smoke out the back.. Could be a sign of abit of firing going on which is good I guess.......

Going to re-check I have hooked up the coils in the right order, I can't seem to calibrate the damn coolant sensor either and it's showing a constant -40c, which was bringing pulse widths to 12.5ms.

Guest FrantiC

Since I can't put pics, made a quick vid of the engine setup and abit of cranking, sounds sick lol too much clunking when it cranks freaks me out abit....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt89lmJpVO8

cranking rpm is around 133rpm, pulse width is at 12.5 but I have since manged to lower it down to 4.5ms.. Not really made much progress today damnit..

Guest FrantiC

Alrighty, well the "2.7l m20 stroker turbo" has claimed it's first victim..

Startermotor is ruined. Does not engage at all now. Removed it and well yeah... teeth are grinded up and it's all rattly and loose..

I can't do anything til I get a replacement now. What I have noticed is 2, 3, 4, 5 cylinder pipes on the exhaust mani. get semi hot. 1 and 6 seem to stay cold.

My coils are setup as:

coil A - 1, 6

coil B - 2, 5

coil C - 3, 4

Which leads me to believe Coil A is not firing at all.....

More to come later this week..

Oh well, at least it looks good :)

Guest FrantiC

*runs into wall*.

omg..

So I pulled the ecu out.

Removed the case.

Wow would ya look at that, on the underside of "R26" which is known as "Spark output A", for coil A (cylinders 1 and 6) is wired to IGBTIN.

Probably why I wasn't sparking for 1 or 6.. And I think the C output was unplugged too, unless it unplugged when I pulled the ECU out.

Jesus that annoys me.. Would have meant either was firing 2 cylinders or firing 4. Definitley not 6!!

My head hurts Ha.

Sounds like you're getting there bit by bit though.

Guest FrantiC

Soooooooo....

Been doing ALOT of reading. Finally found the info i was looking for in regards to a "how to" for wasted spark and ignition setup..

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ig...l.htm#mulitcoil

Have removed other circuits off the board so will see how it goes when i get the startermotor, which was sent today hopefully have it tomorrow (thanks to 323e30, legend!!).

Here's hoping she starts this time LOL!

Guest FrantiC

24/07/09.

2.7L stroker turbo OFFICIALLY COMES TO LIFE.

And yes I do have her on video , sadly broadband usage is down the drain so bare with me!

What I did:

Removed underside circuit from the ECU which was wired from R26 to IGBTIN (which uses onboard coil ignitor) which I guess interefered with the other output I had.

Once that was done, I initially had only checked for spark on #2 (so number 2 and 5 were definitley firing).

I pulled plugs 1 2 and 3 to check all others were firing, ECU light outputs were flashing so signal was going out but nope, no spark to coil A or coil C ( A= 1, 6, B = 3, 4).

So I decided I will rewire the coils again, because I had wired them and mounted them in place, decided i will re wire and check they all work before I try a temporary solution again. So I chopped some more wire, changed the external igniters around and am now using igniters 6,7 and 8. Previously 1,2 and 3.

With that rewired, I jumped back into the car, gave it a crank and confirmed all 3 were sparking. Sucess!

Then moved on to putting the coils in the car, just left them on a toolbox lid sitting in the engine bay , hooked up the sparkplug leads to the spark plugs sat in the car gave it a crank, 2 seconds after VROOOOOOOM... VROOM VROOM PUT PUT PUT... (sort of wasnt expecting it and it fired right up then died when I stoped pumping the gas which I was doing to start it).

SOOOOOO, grabbed the video camera and yeahp away I went. Idle is rough as heck, stil fine tuning alot of things couldn't do much after it had warmed up but no matter what it won't stick to a steady idle so going to read up on how to go about that. Took it for a quick little up and down on the driveway, have oil leaking out somewhere either the oil drain or the oil feed / presure switch in the block. But yeap STOKED it is now that much closer to completion. All it needs is an external wastegate before I hook it up to any boost :P

Awesome! Well done and congrats in particular on your perseverence!