Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

Yeah I think mine would have to be very similar to that. How does the fitment look between block / manifold and the steering linkage stuff ??

Have to wait untill next week, hopefully I will have the manifold and be able to check it all out. Pretty much all I am waiting for at the moment.

If I can run it, then yeah what the heck may run it 3", Would give room to upgrade if I ever did get a bigger turbo or something, save me re-doing the entire exhaust.

Yours is looking good though dude, is yours going yet? Certed and everything? What exhaust tip you gona be using? I don't wanna have a cannon muffler sticking out the rear of mine I want something like dual tips, clean looking.

Yea wont be far off just maybe a slightly better design.. plus your m20 does not take up as much room as my motor i dont think. Haha fitment well its about 15mm from the block but steers well clear of the steering arm, probably about 40-50mm at its closest point. One catch to all this though, I have to undo the steering rack to get the downpipe out haha only 3 bolts though.

Yea sux waiting on manifold trust me I waited 6 months for mine and you cant do anything else until you have that because its the main part of mounting most of the other parts up.

Thats right atleast you arent doing it twice and have it there for a bigger turbo if you desire.

Yea cheers man its getting there ever so slowly aye. Its running only off tha factory ecu though, still needs the rest of the exhaust welded up from the bottom of the downpipe flange back. Still gotta put rear 5 stud conversion in then get my guards extended for the WIDE wheels on all four corners. Then out to the tuners to have the Link installed and tuned and then maybe I can think of getting a cert haha :P

Guest FrantiC

Yea wont be far off just maybe a slightly better design.. plus your m20 does not take up as much room as my motor i dont think. Haha fitment well its about 15mm from the block but steers well clear of the steering arm, probably about 40-50mm at its closest point. One catch to all this though, I have to undo the steering rack to get the downpipe out haha only 3 bolts though.

Yea sux waiting on manifold trust me I waited 6 months for mine and you cant do anything else until you have that because its the main part of mounting most of the other parts up.

Thats right atleast you arent doing it twice and have it there for a bigger turbo if you desire.

Yea cheers man its getting there ever so slowly aye. Its running only off tha factory ecu though, still needs the rest of the exhaust welded up from the bottom of the downpipe flange back. Still gotta put rear 5 stud conversion in then get my guards extended for the WIDE wheels on all four corners. Then out to the tuners to have the Link installed and tuned and then maybe I can think of getting a cert haha :P

Haha yeah, once the manifolds here I can pretty much finish everything off and get the exhaust done for it. I'v got my Megasauirt ECU in and setup just gota wait for an intake air temp sensor the guy forgot to send me from the U.S. Other than that it's all wired in and hopefully works (might hook up battery tomorrow see if it cranks at all).

I really want wider wheels too, I have 17x7 at the mo with skinny 205's! Lots of traction I bet!

Nothing like abit of turbo e30 roasting some tyres *dribbles* :P

Haha yeah, once the manifolds here I can pretty much finish everything off and get the exhaust done for it. I'v got my Megasauirt ECU in and setup just gota wait for an intake air temp sensor the guy forgot to send me from the U.S. Other than that it's all wired in and hopefully works (might hook up battery tomorrow see if it cranks at all).

I really want wider wheels too, I have 17x7 at the mo with skinny 205's! Lots of traction I bet!

Nothing like abit of turbo e30 roasting some tyres *dribbles* :P

Its funny the huge most important things seem like forever to get done and then all of a sudden it all comes together and you find all these annoying little jobs that need to be completed. Good to see it comming along so fast. Did you wire in the megasquirt yourself? Are you tunning it?

Haha yea thats the reason I went to 5 stud for better selection in wheels and also for better traction and bigger brake setup! Didnt think id end up getting 17x10 and 17x9 haha :huh:

Guest FrantiC

Its funny the huge most important things seem like forever to get done and then all of a sudden it all comes together and you find all these annoying little jobs that need to be completed. Good to see it comming along so fast. Did you wire in the megasquirt yourself? Are you tunning it?

Haha yea thats the reason I went to 5 stud for better selection in wheels and also for better traction and bigger brake setup! Didnt think id end up getting 17x10 and 17x9 haha :huh:

17x 10!!!!!!!

What wheel's have you got?? damnnnn.

For megasquirt I had to wire a few things into my harness, like change the AFM plug into an Intake air temp sensor so cut that plug and re-wired it to the plug for my IAT sensor. Had to rewire the main relay as the ECU gets power from it so had to change abit of wiring there. Will have to re-wire the TPS plug to run a variable TPS (was gonna use an m50 one but it's too much of a hassle to mount and I broke it anyways lol). And needed to wire in the LC1 Wideband o2 sensor. Other than that there was nothing else I had to wire in cos the guy already had an adapter loom (look on page 3 for pics), it's roughly done but it works, I hope.

Yep will tune it myself, plenty of guides on the interenet and guys with similar setups that I could copy off of e30tech. Make it easier for me, probably have to experiment with abit of tuning to get it running exactly right though but yeah it looks pretty simple!

Guest FrantiC

omg FAIL much. Been waiting just over a week for a manifold, Turns out I never payed for it so I'm waiting for nothing...... Durrrrr!!

I am about to go hook the battery up and test out if the ECU works and see if it will crank the engine. If it cranks, I may see if it will run and bolt on the standard exhaust manifold. Heres hoping I won't need a IAT sensor to have it run.

did u acid dip the rocker cover / zaust manifold or painted?

SHouldn't need the IAT - it adjusts the timing etc based on IAT but should have a default setting.

IAT is used to work out the mass of air in the cylinder, you will need it.

- also worth saying it is used to adjust timing as well though.

Who you getting all the MS bits off? I used DIYautotune, they were awesome.

turbo's really dont like running without them, my setup made a hell of a noise before I plumbed one in. That air charge ha got to go somewhere when it hits the throttle plate, much better to have a skank whistle than have it going backwards out the turbo

+ Everyone loves the sound of a skank whistle.

Edit: And so this post isn't worthless, Good work.

Awesome project - I love my M20 and hopefully one day I can do this.

I can imagine how awesome 300hp would be in an E30. Drool.

Edited by E30ONP

stock turbos go fine without though i though ? im only 15 haha so just learing

Stock turbo setups usually have stock BOVs though, And this setup isn't exactly stock.

Right...? lol

Stock turbo's have a diverter valve / bypass valve which is a BOV which vents back into the intake, after the air flow meter if there is one.

I stand corrected on the IAT. I hadn't thought of Mike's point (that the mass of the air is a function of the temp as well). Silly me.

Guest FrantiC

Apparently all I should be required to do is set a approx temp in Megatune and it should run for a wee bit, atleast idle.

But yer, Haven't tried it just yet. I might go try it in a bit, see if she cranks at all. Don't have a throttlebody on, so no TPS hooked up nor any sparkplugs in there yet so no need to run it just yet.

I got all my megasquirt stuff from a guy in the U.S who had it on his e30, sold everything as a plug and play and left a basic tune on there to start for me. All sensors required too. He just forgot to send me the IAT.. He sent it on the 2nd of June though, Track and trace shows no progress on it since though :mellow:

did u acid dip the rocker cover / zaust manifold or painted?

Rocker cover was cleaned and painted, yes. So was the block and intake manifold. Just so everything looks tidy and clean.. Theres no exhaust manifold there.

sorry but why bov ?

Would be mad not to have one!

Guest FrantiC

Well it doesn't crank yet. Tried hooking ECU to power, Relay clicks and the fuel pump comes on for a good 2 or 3 seconds. Turned key to ignition and the starter motor did not do anything, So I am hoping it is because not all sensors are in there yet..

I did it a few times, and everytime I give it power the fuel pump comes on and there is a loud squealing sort of sound coming from the engine bay. Weird...

With none of the sensors in it should technically still crank, find out what the squealing noise is before you go any further.

Guest FrantiC

With none of the sensors in it should technically still crank, find out what the squealing noise is before you go any further.

Yeah exactly what I thought, I might have to check I have the starter motor wired up properly..

The only "moving" is coming from the FPR, When I give the ECU power wire 12v, The relay clicks - Fuel pump comes on and I can feel the FPR moving, Obviously indication that there is fuel going through it.. Sounds like the slight squeel sound is coming from it also..

Yeah just check the starter motor connections and possibly trace the wiring from the starter to the battery and ECU etc.

Guest FrantiC

Alrighty well I hadn't even grounded the engine loom, And that terminal 50 starter wire wasn't connected. Charging battery now, SHOULD crank now..!

Haha there you go, earth is just as important as power.

Once the battery is charged, let us know if it cranks over dude.

Guest FrantiC

Once the battery is charged, let us know if it cranks over dude.

Yeah for sure, Might let it charge overnight ay. Too cold to go to the garage now lol.

Haha fair enough.

Guest FrantiC

I'd love to have my 2.7 turbo sound something like this

/droooooooooooooooooooooool