Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Haha yeah they seemed to have taken the streetview pics during the big snow of 06, at the moment there is no snow up there, but still nice a slippery ha.

I love that little piece out the back of the airport ;) well done old chap looks like shes going very well indeed

looking good! cant wait for the summit run vid

Awesome, quick, do more videos. Very entertaining to watch. Looks like the duct tape/passenger seat combo worked well!

Nice Vid Henry !

after watching that vid i thought to ask are you still wrestling with an original E30 steering rack ?

If so you deff want to get in there with an E36 rack swap cheap upgrade and even the slowest e36 rack still makes steering 10x better.

Edited by Jimmy

Yeah, not too shakey eh Jono! I think I will secure it a little better next time, the camera flew off on the way back through the corners..

And Jimmy, that was the next upgrade for sure! The E30 rack sure does teach you how to get fast arms though.

I was thinking a E36 rack or this, giving a 2 turn lock to lock rack: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/SMALL-BODY-2...KENER,8280.html

I'm a massive fan of quick racks like that, go carts, and the formula ford I drove really showed that I could keep it in control, even with less precision. Would not let any one else drive my car in spirited form without a bit of practise, would steer straight off the inside of the corner ahaa.

the reason i put an e36 rack in my car was not for steering speed, it was because i was on my 3rd E30 rack that had failed.

I would be surprised if your old e30 rack holds up with a quickener, they seem to be made of cheese and are very expensive to rebuild.

the reason i put an e36 rack in my car was not for steering speed, it was because i was on my 3rd E30 rack that had failed.

I would be surprised if your old e30 rack holds up with a quickener, they seem to be made of cheese and are very expensive to rebuild.

P/f ones are built to last though ;)

I have found the wheels I want. Without the Red strip though haha. 4x100, 16in by 8 in, big brake clearance and 57.1 hub! And cheap, well the shipping won't be ahaa.

http://www.esmwheels.com/Wheel_032.html

Posted Image

Edited by Incary

Eye rection. Exactly what I was looking for, the look, the size and the offset. There are others, but miss important factors, like Rota Slipstreams or Sortmaxx wheels.

Will look at getting some of these around summer time..

Quickeners aren't legal, can't be certified. People who have them just hide them really well.

10p on 8" is going to be a bit of a hassle in front. Would no doubt look good, but you may have to sacrifice tyre width to fit them...

My 8"s at 18p rub with 225's in front. But would be fine with 205's and rolling. This is with 2.5 ish deg camber and max castor.

Hmm yes, that is true. 16x8's at 20p need no rolling from what I've seen, but at 10..

You know.... I wouldn't mind nice wide rolled out fenders :D

Ahh still a pipe dream at this stage. Will add it too the to-do list. It really is a good feeling to have found a perfect wheel for an E30 though.

Ive got 16x9 et10 on the front and no rubbing......yet lol. But seriously with your shock/spring combo on the front you shouldn't get near the guard being that stiff?

Ive got 16x9 et10 on the front and no rubbing......yet lol. But seriously with your shock/spring combo on the front you shouldn't get near the guard being that stiff?

But with what rubber and what camber/castor?

If Henry wants to do targa type events, perhaps it would be wise to cater for maximum suspension travel and not so much camber?

My castor pushes the wheel forward a fair bit, this might pose issues with wider rubber/wheel.

It's an unfortunate Looks vs Performance dilemma. Cos I'd rock 16x8/9 setup for street fo' sho.

My set-up isn't really that stiff eh, the Summit did hit the bump stops a couple of times, but the rates I have, for 99% of the road, are perfect, the wheels move lively.

But I sure don't mind rolled guards heh, nothing wrong with a bit more track as well!

How do you have crazy caster Jono? I have offset bushings and the plates set as far back as it goes. Still want more ha. Do you know your caster specs? Hmmm thinking about it, running it lower like you do would get a lot more angle on the strut, still, curious to know what you are at heh.

IIRC, 9/10deg. Right/Left are uneven atm.

Probably same as you? My wheels are much closer to the front of the car with this castor lol, minimal clearance to front plastic guard.

Those wheels posted would increase your front track by 54mm, I should have a look at scrub radius effects when I have time.

I'm not sure the benefits of a wider track are so clear cut as it could amplify scrub effects (in theory). Note: I run a wider track because it looks pimp (and I have no choice b/c of my brakes). So I can't exactly champion benefits of wider track :lol:

But with what rubber and what camber/castor?

If Henry wants to do targa type events, perhaps it would be wise to cater for maximum suspension travel and not so much camber?

My castor pushes the wheel forward a fair bit, this might pose issues with wider rubber/wheel.

It's an unfortunate Looks vs Performance dilemma. Cos I'd rock 16x8/9 setup for street fo' sho.

225/45/16s, 2.7deg camber,9 degree's Castor.

I would not recommend 9s for Henry, they look awesome but not the best for maximum travel. I no i will rub with my setup when it hits the right bump/angles.

16x7.5s et20/25 225/45/16s were perfect for me, no rubbing etc

Thats a degree more then me per side Jib! Yeah lowering the car like yours would get more caster, sure makes oversteer a hands-off-the-wheel affair ahaa.

And I do hope to run some monster brakes at some stage, and these wheels look like they have enough spoke clearance. The 15inch weaves _almost_ fit the brake profile cut out from Massive Brakes... The weavy spokes clear fine, just the inner rim is about 3-5 mm too small gah, I'm sure it'd fit with some machining, would be nice to keep the 15in weaves.

At the moment I'm trying to sort the retarded central locking. The car has a Uniden alarm with keyless entry. but the motor in the drivers door doesnt work, only the boot and passenger. I've used a key to open the car since I've had it, but it's a gamble whether or not the central locking works, the wiring from the door to the chassis is the culpret, a bit of a wiggle and it works for another 2 days.

It wouldn't be hard to get the motor fixed would it? Might crack the door open later.

Haha - 'tis true.

Helpful tip - some of those fasteners are 'Merican - you'll need a 1/2" or 7/16", and I think the allen key bolt to adjust the rear height might be imperial too.

Just re-reading some of the thread and I thought to say that it was all metric. 5mm allen key on the ride height adjusters, 13mm on the 3 strut tops and rear shock mounts, and 22mm on the shock nut. :)

They may have changed it. Alternatively it was actually 1/2" not 13mm and 7/32" not 5mm ;)

I'm pretty glad they did. I hit all my imperial sockets quite a long way with a bat recently :lol:

May as well update the build then:

Warrant this week, hopefully.

Sunroof isn't leaking anymore yay. And I'm driving around with all springs captive, and noticing no difference over non-captivity. It's not too high either so it'll stay like that untill a track day yay.

Car weighs in at

dum dum dum da da daaaaaaaaaaa

1170 kilograms.

Quarter tank of fuel. And the only weight reduction mod so far has been the Sunroof. Spare/jack/toolkit/everything is still in. Quite happy. Easily see 1100 with race seats and accessories removed.

Edited by Incary