Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

I had about 25mm cut out of JiB's struts and with 450lb (I think) 200mm springs (I think) its in the middle of the adjustment range (I think).

The problem is, all three "I thinks" above might be wrong.

Either way, he complains about not being able to go low enough, rather than complaining the other way, and the shocks are the same.

I would just like to add that I am uber-keen to see this on its wheels, quite aside from the other debates. I want pics!

That is all.

I have just finished installing EVERYTHING.

Except for the AKG motor mounts.

Off to get some brake fluid, then bleed brakes. And off to my friend at Advantage Tires, at the sockburn roundabout, to get an alignment. Student discount.

he complains about not being able to go low enough

My version of "low enough" is unfortunately past the point of beneficial lowering. Right now the sump is about 90-100mm off the floor

I have the car in the air at the moment. I'll measure the fronts and report back.

I have just finished installing EVERYTHING.

Except for the AKG motor mounts.

Off to get some brake fluid, then bleed brakes. And off to my friend at Advantage Tires, at the sockburn roundabout, to get an alignment. Student discount.

Good you can come to the track day then

Hmmm well I just went and tore up the streets a bit.

Battery is f**ked, won't start at all, even after 20 mins of high revs... Might charge it over night.

And the wind buffeting from the big hole in the roof hurts the ear drums.

But, ITS AMAZING. No body roll and the car is much, much more responsive, really notice the sunroof weight missing, and the bushings and not harsh at all. The way the power gets put down is dramatic, instant and smooth. The corner entry is fast, and the back end comes around so nicely, mid corner throttle control is simple, drift it or not is simply a wee bit more on the gas, the lower kays LSD feels much tighter. Corner exit... Wow. Most fun ever. There is no slop at all, what you put in is what the car does. Hold the steering wheel straight and use the power to turn, ohhh damn it was a blast.

The dampers need another half turn on them or so, more on the front I think, rebound damping wasn't strong enough (They were all 1/2 a turn from soft just now)

Springs were compliant and the whole kit was completely silent. No noise. The only noise now is a beautiful diff winding noise, not loud really, but great to listen to.

I need to get 2 more pilots to match the front tires, then tune the weight distro. The car is not low at all, in fact its about 2cm higher than before, and thats with the rears CAPTIVE at 1/2 way up and the fronts just captivised.

No pics till tomorrow :)

Awesome I want a ride in it....no port hills though lol

Heh, sure Riley, we can do that any time this week. It's got much much more potential, the streets provide no challenge. Want to get some Rcompounds baaaad.

With them all wound down to min, I'd say it'd a little lower than the old springs, and that's all I intend to lower it. I'll sort it out tomorrow in the daylight ha. Been a looooong day doing up bolts.

And the camber in the front is massive. Such a stance. Love it.

Sweet cant wait!...so........track day?? lol

If I can gather the funds... I still need a roof haha! And a warrant. So I'll evaluate :D

Actually I thought about it some more - for what you want I guess you need to move the perch down. If you're happy where it is then :D

Don't go too crazy on the camber. No need even with R-compounds.

Yeah I think I'll be getting the perches moved down, annoying, but now that I see it rides quite high it'll help out. I'm happy with where it sits now though, just want it a bit lower for when it becomes more dedicated to the track.

badass, wish i could put that kit in my E30... looking good!

looking good henry, will be doing the suspension in my car soon but can only dream of getting GC stuff. Will be getting stocks to make up mine. Im interested in going for a ride someday :D

I need a WOF to dang it, and my gearbox is still not in

Ok. This car is AMAZING. Worth every dollar. It's amazing with crap tires on the back...

I tested the damping abilities by turning hard over 4 railway tracks... tractioned.

Hit big speed bumbs at 60-70 while turning.. traction. Well, none while the car was in the air AHAA, but landed well.

Hit Hanrahan St (north west christchurchians will know it, near the uni) with no brakes, traction.

Love these matched shocks. And the spring rates will be fantastic for Targa style duty. Ride height is good. Will be testing with 4 good street tires tomorrow. (pilots and 901's)

Anyway I said there would be a detailed report aha, I will continue testing tomorrow.

And yes indeed Sam, now that I'm finally mobile again I'll come round at some stage :D

Just wound the car right down and took some pics...

Not too low is it! That's ok. Captive is only a wee bit higher than this, especially at the front. Went for a drive like this with the shocks wound to full firm :lol: Felt like I should be in a DX on the bump stops ahaa, bit bouncy.. Would be amazing on a smooth track. Full soft on the konis ride awesomely on the road though. And as you can see, the camber at the rear is completely acceptable. I like that. I don't need to run this car low, the suspension works better according to the physics of the design.

And a shot of how much the rear has to be wound to get captive. It'd sit quite high, but that's only for Wof checks ;) OMG THE SPRINGS WILL POP OUT>!>!>!??!!?

Taaadaa!

post-1573-1245887662_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1245887677_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1245887772_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1245887846_thumb.jpg

Awesome Henry well done old chap

looking good, now you have to move onto an engine conversion :P

Good pics :) I'm satisfied now.

I've found the shocks can really tune the handling - 1/4 of a turn makes a big difference, especially at the front.

Thanks guys.

And yeah the difference in one turn is huuuuge. I'll spend the next week sorting it... Sunroof is going back in right now, the wind buffeting was too much. (clamping and sellys's'ing it in) Will get fi-glass made in time..

The clamps didn't work. I bent up the lip the points down into the roof, and All Cleared it in. And a bit of duct tape to hold it untill it dries properly. Here's hoping it is sticky enough :D

I didn't glue my last sunroof removal in on the first night... Hit 80kph and my hair got pulled off as the cabin depressurised and the sunroof went 10m into the air haha.