Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

I would so go for 1000, but I'm liking the road car aspect it has. One day I'll have another E30 with full carbon body work and such :D

Just went to the dump eh jeddy, parkhouse rd, took a bit of rubbish it, 7 dollars later... schwing!

1170 is that incl. full interior ? i thought e30's would weigh 1300+ Lol.. Goodwork i mite visit the Dump.

Mine is a Motorsport, so it is missing dead weights and trunk tar, and a lot of cabin tar from what I've seen. Full interior indeed.

Back to brakes Henry,

My datsun will run 280mm Skyline GTST rotors and Nissan 4 pots, factory 15" rims would clear this if I used something like a 7mm spacer.

The factory zx rims don't look to have as much clearance as the 15" BBS weaves

you might be surprised what you can run with a fairly minimal spacer and some slightly longer bolts.

you are welcome to borrow a 4 pot calipar if you ever want to take some measurements

Edited by Jimmy

One of the things which concerns me about putting together a brake kit, is finding a 4x100 rotor thats 300mm or so big. I'm 5mm away from going 5 stud heh.

Those nissian brakes are a very good choice. And yes you are right, the 15in weaves have a lot of spoke clearance, it's just the area on the inside of the rim right behind the spokes which has a too-small circular radius.

But at this stage with the stock engine, the brakes are doing great. TRW metallic pads and slotted rotors haven't let me down :D

E30s are crap for putting big brakes on - the offset on the rotor is terrible (the most you can fit is about 40mm before hitting the tie rod end). You then need monster x-factor to clear skyline calipers. A Skyline comes with 54mm offset rotors, so to get the wheel the same distance from the disk face needs a 15mm spacer.

About the best you'll find is Honda S2000 300mm x 25mm, with a 40mm rotor offset. They come in 4x100*

* once redrilled, LOL.

Note the Skyline rotor is also only 280mm, which is one of the reasons it fits more easily under a 15" wheel. JiB has the aforementioned S2000 rotors, Skyline brakes narrowed up for a 25mm rotor (not 30mm like Skyline), and 20mm adaptors (4x100-114) and he had to try about 4 different sets of 15s before he found some that fit.

If you want an idea of how hard it is, print the Massive Brakes clearance template and check:

http://www.massivebrakes.com/kits/e30/front/300/21/318-325

FWIW, the Advanti E30 race series wheels DCH sell meet the definition of "monster x-factor".

I'd also add that upgrading the brakes the skyline way is an expensive exercise:

- set of calipers (relatively cheap)

- new front and rear rotors (not cheap) - getting the handbrake to work is a trick too (there are E36/46 vented rotors which work)

- new pads (not cheap)

- alloy adapters so calipers mount to E30 (not cheap)

- new wheels (probably)

- some larger m/c - eg 15/16" or 1" (23.84mm or 25.4mm)

- cert.

The calipers are just a very minor down payment in the cost.

Yeah, the Massive template is handy. I'll probably be going with the Massive kit myself. The 2 piece rotor should be easy to find replacement rotor parts for when the surface wears out. But I'll research that when the time comes closer.

One of the things which concerns me about putting together a brake kit, is finding a 4x100 rotor thats 300mm or so big. I'm 5mm away from going 5 stud heh.

Those nissian brakes are a very good choice. And yes you are right, the 15in weaves have a lot of spoke clearance, it's just the area on the inside of the rim right behind the spokes which has a too-small circular radius.

But at this stage with the stock engine, the brakes are doing great. TRW metallic pads and slotted rotors haven't let me down :D

I've got some 288x25mm that have been modified to fit e30 (redrilled and center machined out) , stock e20 offset from memory too. Was going to use 'em before I sold my car with E28 535i calipers. Actually have the whole kit (new lines, pads, rotors, brackets, rebuilt calipers). If your interested in any of PM me for what you'd be afterand we can talk $$

Edited by Mike

Not looking for brakes for a while yet, mine are still holding up great :D Thanks though.

Update:

Well I saw some rust around the holes under the boot lid for the spoiler, and the black part of the Tech1 wing was very faded. So I went into a horror movie and painstakenly removed the glued on spoiler. Lost the badges due to the turps. That sucks. Will get the ol' gorrilla grip out and sort that.

Turns out the rust was the most mild of surface rust.... Sanded it and primerd. Left the glue on to keep the same spacing and height that the wing had from the boot lid.

post-1573-1248069224_thumb.jpg

Sanded the foam on the wing (hard work) and it's been in the garage all day getting 3 primers and 3 Satin Blacks, coat every 30 mins or so. I'm worried that the paint will crack because the foam is soft-ish. We'll see.

Before:

post-1573-1248069329_thumb.jpg

And the completed result:

Used: P100 sand paper, turpentine, 3 coats of the 'good' primer they sell at repco, and 3 coats of Dulux Satin Black. The best black ever.

*edit, I also did my front grills with the same black just before the build started, have lost the pictures of the process though..

post-1573-1248130970_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1248130983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Incary

The exhaust flange just before the Cat had very, very tired bolts. Rust and loss of threads negated proper torquing, so the exhaust was leaking, making a nice tractor sound.

I had some 10mm bolts around, they were too long, so I spaced them with a 13mm nut slipped over each end.

Then applied some torque.

post-1573-1248687825_thumb.jpg

Thought it would make a cool photo aha.

Reckon I could just cut it open, gut it, and get it welded back up? Don't want to actually spend money you see :D

And the completed result:

Used: P100 sand paper, turpentine, 3 coats of the 'good' primer they sell at repco, and 3 coats of Dulux Satin Black. The best black ever.

*edit, I also did my front grills with the same black just before the build started, have lost the pictures of the process though..

I agree Dulux satin black is the shizz my grills and bumpers can agree with that to

Reckon I could just cut it open, gut it, and get it welded back up? Don't want to actually spend money you see :D

Or just shell out a few greenies for a piece of pipe to be welded in :D just making 3 x more work for yaself.

I agree Dulux satin black is the shizz my grills and bumpers can agree with that to

And old wheels? Lol.

Or just shell out a few greenies for a piece of pipe to be welded in :D just making 3 x more work for yaself.

Actually, you are right. Will add it too the list for sure ha. I know my cat is very dead and most likely blocked from years of rich cold starts

Failed a WOF today. Not happy with cars at the moment. Did you know there is a hard, fast cut on M20 rev limiters?

PLAY IN FRONT WHEELS (Are the wheel nuts loose or what? Wheel bearing? Ball joint?)

TRAILING ARM BUSHINGS WORN What the flaming f**k? They are solid

Brake pedal spongy (No sh*t, it's an E30)

And looks like I'll need a Cert, I thought this was coming. Tender springs will be needed, that's easy. And what looks like wheel bearings in the guise of 'worn trailing arm bushings' 'play'.

Giving up on this car for a while though. Have better things to spend money on.

Guest Simon*

Giving up on this car for a while though. Have better things to spend money on.

That doesn't sound like the old Henry. What have you done with him???!!!! :ph34r:

PLAY IN FRONT WHEELS (Are the wheel nuts loose or what? Wheel bearing? Ball joint?)

TRAILING ARM BUSHINGS WORN What the flaming f**k? They are solid

Brake pedal spongy (No sh*t, it's an E30)

Where did you take it? Did you tell them re the bushes?

That sucks man

I sure did Jed, methinks it will be the wheel bearings, clueless woffers. Went to a run down Challenge I've heard of, hoping for the best.

I went and saw Allan at Jeff Gray yesterday, say's you go in alllll the time, Mad hookups now cause he asked if I knew you :D

That doesn't sound like the old Henry. What have you done with him???!!!! :ph34r:

Gf's birthday coming up, and also I haven't even gone snowboarding this year.. Even bought a new jacket a few months ago!

Need to sort a job.. Life is depressing sometimes. Well, for a few hours at a time anyway.

Did they put it in the WOF system? If not just dont go back. Ive got just the man for the WOF job ;)