Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Some say his skin has the texture of a dolphin’s, and that wherever you are in the world if you tune your radio to 88.4 you can actually hear his thoughts...All we know is that he the Bimmersport Stig.

What’s the relevance of the tyre pictures? Wondering.

Hard out that your tyres wore so much on the outside running 3deg camber and bugger all flex.. wehens the race tyres coming?

Edited by Apex

Yeah guys, Henry is probably the best driver on the forum. Leave him alone.

I am in awe, I am especially impressed by his trail braking and weight transfer techniques.

Cheers

Grant

How much camber were you running Henry? Interested to know, as the outer halves of the tyres look like they're doing all the work (not enough camber?) - or not getting a chance to lose heat (Toe in?).

Btw, I run Re001's on the E46 - they're overhyped. More like GIII's than a RE01 replacement. Don't bother with them. R888's or equivalent would probably be more suited.

Lots of 2nd hand 225/45R16's around (perfect setup for a on an E30 with 16x8's imho) - I'm still using 15"s - mainly 'cos of cost though.

I was running approx 3deg on the front, and I lowered the rear right down which gives about 2. Still not enough for flexy road tires. Will invest in some shorter springs for the kit for track use one day.

225's would be dreamy :wub:

Oh, and some people need to learn to use the sarcasm font, sheesh. I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out when you are taking the piss out of me and making my feelings hurt

I just watched your 0-200km/h video. Whats with the intense steering wheel wobble under braking lol

Can you see the rain steaming up the windscreen? It gets a little unstable at the rear when hitting the brakes at 200 in the rain eh. I could have locked my elbows and squirmed back and forth across the road, but decided to keep it in a straight line :)

I wouldn't worry about it, it's a terrible video. Will make a better one over summer. Mmmmm wet tar.

Yo, Michael Schumacher, I’m really pleased for you, and I’ma gonna let you finish, but Henry has to be one of the best drivers of all time. ALL TIME. Just saying.

Had to be done :lol:

Loving the Ground Control kit, do want.

Oh, and some people need to learn to use the sarcasm font, sheesh. I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out when you are taking the piss out of me and making my feelings hurt

I was taking the piss and not wanting to hurt your feelings (although what was said hurts your feelings, then I think you need to harden up).

However, take a step back and read what you post sometimes, and maybe you will realise what a "know it all internet car driving set up and driving expert" (i.e. cock) you sound like sometimes.

I know that you aren't a cock, so it is unfortunate.

BTW, I really enjoyed the video, and look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Grant

Being a know it all cock in real life is a terrible life path/choice, I hate people like that, but on the internet it is a way to escape the drudgery of the boring parts of the day.

My feelings weren't hurt, it was the sarcasm font :D It's quite a heart racing thrill to come back to a thread and see what people have said back to whatever sh*t I say (95% of stuff I say is true and correct, just said very boldly and cock-headedly)

To sum up, I'm approaching 13000 or so posts on internet forums worldwide, so forums are sort of a place to make a persona, and follow through with commitment, bimmersport is quite a mature forum really, so I might shape up online attitude a bit. Most would say I'm a good c**t in person :)

AS YOU WERE, AND GEEEEEETTTT OUT OF MY INTERNET THREAD OF NOT-TWINE!!

Oh and I'll be making a wee vid from the track day last week. But there is no oversteering (was actually having THE BEST TIME working on getting corners perfect and fast) and the camera doesn't show nearly how damn awesome my car is, so it'll be just another boring track vid, but in HD!

With 15 mins to go at the trackday, the brakes started to make a bit of a grinding noise....

Mmmm melting backing, shiney metal and .5mm of pad left.

post-1573-1253579459.jpg

You think those pads are bad, you should see my EBC yellows, they are totally disitergrated. Im never buying them again

The yellows seem a bit street/track hybrid for your slick equipped monster :D

Those EBC Reds get pretty good reviews, was thinking about getting some of those. Would love to know what race series guys think :D Might have a flick through the race series forum..

Stage 1 is 1 day away from completion. 30 pages in the making. Now the car will be the best handling road-going E30 evaaaarrrrr.

Today I finally picked up the Whiteline sway bars. Quality bar really, but f**k is it a nightmare to install. The bushings are oversized and had to do some good ol' ingenuity to get the buggers on. But the short bolts holding the brackets together will have to go, they cannot be loosened enough to allow the bar to move semi-freely (as the included instructions say they should) Will have to pick up some longer 13mm bolts tomorrow. Haven't done the rear bar yet, but it will be much, much easier than the front - had to take off bolt control arms and, as the pics show, piss around with the jack trying to wedge the things in..

Size difference: 19 vs 24. According to this chart (if the bars were the same material and design, which they are not) it's a 200% increase, eeeepic.

post-1573-1254541522.jpg

Adjustable rear, 3 holes at each end. This will enable furthur handling tuning perrrrfection. (E30 perfection, so in other words, not that great really)

post-1573-1254541545.jpg

Screwdriverjackering.

post-1573-1254541790.jpg

Standard Jackering.

post-1573-1254541813.jpg

Yum.

post-1573-1254541831.jpg

And rebuilt the front calipers

Unpacked.

post-1573-1254541858.jpg

Repacked with new grease in the sliders, and a little goo brakelened out from behind the pistions.. New pads coming tomorrow.

post-1573-1254541883.jpg

Awesome !!!

These are a quality product, I helped Riley put his ones on.

But your not going adjustable end links on the front ?

Awesome !!!

These are a quality product, I helped Riley put his ones on.

But your not going adjustable end links on the front ?

The adjustable end links will come for sure. But from all the research, a 24mm front bar is going to be puuuurrrfect with standard end links.

Screw the rain this morning! Makes lying under a car a bloody cold affair.

I can't afford a special Front Sway bar so I painted mine ricer bright blue :D

Hahaha! Gold man.

FIRST DRIVE REPORTS ARE COMING IN NOW...

I spun out from some snap oversteer... This car is another new machine to learn. Huge understeer if you don't turn-in smoothly, but when fast turn-in is required it changes ends and kicks out so smoothly and predictable, will have to reduce front camber now, that will be the cause of that understeer.

The rear is so much more planted and grippy. It leaves some seriously decent parallel black lines coming out of my favorite corners, whereas before it did not. The massive increase of inside-rear-wheel grip is helping the LSD do it's thing,

Slalom style back and forth steering is amazing! Definitely need a E36 rack now. Much more punishing when it lets go. 16inch lower profile wheels (one day soon they will come haha) aren't going to help that.. But they sure will help grip :D

Need to get all 4 wheels with the same rubber on them to really see what this car can do, and set that adjustable rear bar up. Just on full soft at the moment.

Oh and some pics. Everyone loves pics. I get 5 PM's a day from people who want pics. Pics of sexy metal.

1.5mm bigger. About 60% stiffer. Can really feel the difference it when trying to twist them in your hands.

post-1573-1254642265.jpg

Unbolt shock, spring falls out. Slide out old bar. Slide in new. Easy.

post-1573-1254642309.jpg

Once again the bushings were over sized. But not nearly as bad as the front ones. Just used some pliers to close up the bracket, then inserted bolt and tightened untill just a wee bit of resistance was felt in the movement of the bar. The bolt at the top of the link is 14mm, the first Japanese sized bolts are on this car! Gross.

post-1573-1254642347.jpg

Edited by Incary

Nice, Whitline is good stuff.

It’s going to be even more twigity now, it’s going to be 33% more fun though!

Why did you not replace the front drop link bushes, not replacing them kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it? You can get them repressed with Nolithane, I had mine done.

Such a nice setup your car has, given a fresh start on a E30 I would be copying this thread.

ps:

Oh, and I have EBC reds, EBC disks with a new EFL fluid bleed through and they are fantastic compared to the old ones, not hand of god stopping power but a vast improvement over the stock stuff. I think the E30 Series boys run them as they gave the E30 series discount for some reason.

Edited by Apex

I beginning to think the front bar is too stiff. Haven't done a Summit Rd run yet, but I think it'll be a handful up there. Oh well, will make me a more dynamic driver ha. Might leave the stock rubber in the end links just to get a bit of flex in there, you should see how this car slaloms! Will have to get some outside footage of it.

EBC reds seem quite decent. I just picked up some more TRW pads from repco (24bucks on staff price, good friends) and they are perfect for road tires on the track. Fluid was lacking anti-boil qualities however. Would have to step up a notch once some R888's get on this car, the sway bars are begging for wider, more sticky rubber than the direzza 195's I have on the back currently. My god does it oversteer like never before though. So thrilling.

And yes, thanks, this set-up is something I have been dreaming of since I first saw E30 rally/autocross videos on youtube 3-4 years ago.

mate, all this stuff is looking so hot! sway bars are definatly high on my list.

Thread is now indexed for you to view all your favorite posts and re-live the glory days back when a highly suspension tuned E30 was hot sh*t.

Bring on a E36!

Snap oversteer, huge understeer...doesn't sound like the bars are matched to your rubber or halfsprung? Sounds like the car has gone backwards in terms of suspension tuning :ph34r:

Apparent slalolm ability from lack of roll is great and all, but not particularly relevant to fast road or track use :S With that big a front bar, I would've thought that there'd be a roll restricted rear (cause of snap oversteer), and poo weight transfer in front (huge understeer when quickly loaded).

Tried backing off the shocks in proportion to bars? Am thinking the bars have increased the bound more than is useful for street rubber. Otherwise, if you're going for better rubber, could try stiffening the rear bar?

My 2c, or maybe .00002c. I still haven't quite grasped roll tuning - which probably explains the standard bars on my E30.

Bring on a E36!

No, just no. E36s are for people in mid E30 ownership crisis. E30s are where it's at.

When's SR20DET coming? Would make your car a real weapon.