Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Snap oversteer, huge understeer...doesn't sound like the bars are matched to your rubber or halfsprung? Sounds like the car has gone backwards in terms of suspension tuning :ph34r:

Apparent slalolm ability from lack of roll is great and all, but not particularly relevant to fast road or track use :S With that big a front bar, I would've thought that there'd be a roll restricted rear (cause of snap oversteer), and poo weight transfer in front (huge understeer when quickly loaded).

Tried backing off the shocks in proportion to bars? Am thinking the bars have increased the bound more than is useful for street rubber. Otherwise, if you're going for better rubber, could try stiffening the rear bar?

My 2c, or maybe .00002c. I still haven't quite grasped roll tuning - which probably explains the standard bars on my E30.

The bars are way too stiff for street rubber, you are dead right. I found this out last week when I wrote off a 14inch basketweave hitting a kerb. Learnt lots from that however. Have changed driving style again and it's working out really well now. Would certainly put the stock sways back in for Targa, very skippydeeskippy on the Summit Rd at the moment. I was out again last night with the ABS relay out and the lack of roll at the front really helps braking so deep into the corner with minimal inside lock up. And snap oversteer is cured by not being a gumby on the throttle and with the wheel. These bars certainly have done so much more good than harm, even if the car is slower slightly. But with proper technique and tires I can see it cornering on 2 wheels (or feeling like it does). And I can see it being faster with the rear bar disconnected on the track

I meantioned in my first post of this thread what the goals were for this car, mostly Road Rally. But it is constantly developing and changing. I'm a student for the next 4 years and the car club here at Uni does a lot of track days each year, plus the NZ track days, so with some R888's and a little more lightening this car will be perfect for the time I'm at Uni. Future planning for the win.

No, just no. E36s are for people in mid E30 ownership crisis. E30s are where it's at.

When's SR20DET coming? Would make your car a real weapon.

Ahaa just kidding about the E36 :D

I hope to have a SR in there next summer. After lots of research it'd be the best way to go for reliabilty, thrashing ability, parts availibility, and with friends who have the same engine and loads of knowledge.

Would run it near stock and aim for 170-190KW atw with the smallest stock turbo there is. (Garrett GT25 I think it is)

Big power 4 cyl's in E30's are awesome. But just be aware of the classes that you'd be put in for Tarmac rally/Targa ;)

Just read the whole Targa rule sheet (wow there are some crazy rules) and it looks like a 2l turbo would be classed at 3.4l and an E30 would be in Cat5 Modern cars, and the rear wheel width can be increased 2inches over stock. Still sounds competitive :D Like a good challenge.

Oh and don't be silly kids:

post-1573-1256523631.jpg

what curb claimed that wheel!? haha

Logistics Dr. The bloodly ABS took me right into the kerb. Without it I would have skidded in a straight line down the middle of the road. So now the ABS is gone :)

Ouch, Whats this car club at Uni? im gonna be there next year, you will have to show me around haha

MotoSoc of course :D It's one hell of a club. Canterbury has the best club scene in NZ really.

I'll fill you in on some other good ones to. What are you studing there?

You'll need to save some pennies for brakes too if you go SR20 and you're at the track (or worse - tarmac rally).

Great thread here henry, it's great to see people having such success with good quality products.

Whats the go with watching your videos? I used your search term but all that came up for me was 318iS's racing round Summit Point in America.

Keep at it :thumb:

Well thanks Chris. the car is truely amazing for something that has single point pivot trailing arms at the rear..

And I have removed the Summit Rd video, it was really a demonstration back when I had just got the car going again after the upgrades, and the actual Summit Rd was covered in gravel, quite a boring video imho. A new video will be made this summer sometime, with hot tarmac and R comp tires...

Couple of videos here:

Track video: http://www.vimeo.com/6804635

Summit rd oversteering videos:

and

Waaaay too fun.

They might be on public roads etc etc but I really like your summit road video!

This is a great thread

Hahahahaha that is f**king brilliant Sir. Not so cool with the Dork bit though. I'll honor my pride here and say 'Want to race?'

That show is damn good though. I'd let Ryosuke drive his white comet where-ever he likes.

Haha thats quite cool

NZ Initial D...coming to a summit rd near you?

Not so cool with the Dork bit though.

Wasn't me, I just posted it for the lulz :lol:

I'd let Ryosuke drive his white comet where-ever he likes.

D:

har har har

And Henry I only just remembered the comment I wanted to make regarding your coilovers. (in the process of finishing off reading the thread i forgot it!) :wacko:

I gather you re now happy with how they are, but regarding the inserts. GC doesn't actually shorten E30 inserts. What they have done is found a VW insert that is 5" shorter in the body length, hence the spacer you get. This allows you to seriously lower your E30, and by cutting your strut tubes and spacer to suit you still maintain a decent mount of shock travel. Some people are cutting up to 3" out of their strut tubes!

Because it is a VW insert, GC get them custom valved for E30/your chosen spring rates.

I myself am currently using vb-vk commodore inserts in the front of the race car. These are 30mm shorter in the body length and obviously valved much stiffer (for the heavier commodore). I only have plain gas inserts (cheap as), but even with the commodore valving they are under damped (I'm runnign 300lbs/in springs in the front). I will eventually be getting the custom inserts off GC and cutting my strut tubes shorter still as I only have around 75mm travel (- bump stop length) at my current ride height and I want to go lower.

So there you are, some more informations :D

Edited by e30guydownunder

So you didn't make that picture? Oooo, an anonymous hater, welcome to the interent!

Ahaa just kidding about the E36 :D

I hope to have a SR in there next summer. After lots of research it'd be the best way to go for reliabilty, thrashing ability, parts availibility, and with friends who have the same engine and loads of knowledge.

Would run it near stock and aim for 170-190KW atw with the smallest stock turbo there is. (Garrett GT25 I think it is)

Just saw this - I agree, 190kW more than enough to misbehave in a well setup e30, smaller turbo way to go too. I'd probably do something like this if I get an e30 again. That or a supercharged M52B28 if I wanted more of an everyday car

har har har

And Henry I only just remembered the comment I wanted to make regarding your coilovers. (in the process of finishing off reading the thread i forgot it!) :wacko:

I gather you re now happy with how they are, but regarding the inserts. GC doesn't actually shorten E30 inserts. What they have done is found a VW insert that is 5" shorter in the body length, hence the spacer you get. This allows you to seriously lower your E30, and by cutting your strut tubes and spacer to suit you still maintain a decent mount of shock travel. Some people are cutting up to 3" out of their strut tubes!

Because it is a VW insert, GC get them custom valved for E30/your chosen spring rates.

I myself am currently using vb-vk commodore inserts in the front of the race car. These are 30mm shorter in the body length and obviously valved much stiffer (for the heavier commodore). I only have plain gas inserts (cheap as), but even with the commodore valving they are under damped (I'm runnign 300lbs/in springs in the front). I will eventually be getting the custom inserts off GC and cutting my strut tubes shorter still as I only have around 75mm travel (- bump stop length) at my current ride height and I want to go lower.

So there you are, some more informations :D

Hmm yes, I thought they shortened the travel of the stauchion, and had done it too much for my setup, but realised it would work fine if the perch was lower down the strut.. Those shock bodies sure are short! I would never dream of cutting 3 inches out of the strut.. Well, maybe on a track specific car, maybe.

I don't have much travel minus the bump stop too..(depends on if the adjusters are up or down though) but I hardly feel the bumpstops on the lowest setting, The spring rates and the valving just work oh so well to control the wheel movement :D

So you didn't make that picture? Oooo, an anonymous hater, welcome to the interent!

Nah. You were being homax, was posted on GP. Edited by E30ONP