Sign in to follow this  
Jammy

1987 BMW M3 from Japan

A mechanic friend of mine is selling this car. Bought it from Japan, and never winter-driven. My mechanic gave it an inspection and test-drive, and said the body is "mint." It only has 109,000 kilometers on it.

What is your experience with this model... reliable?

PLEASE, help!

jim

A mechanic friend of mine is selling this car. Bought it from Japan, and never winter-driven. My mechanic gave it an inspection and test-drive, and said the body is "mint." It only has 109,000 kilometers on it.

What is your experience with this model... reliable?

PLEASE, help!

jim

He wants 4500 dollars, btw.

M3? $4500 or $45000? Cos i've never ever seen one that cheap :o

Definitely an awesome car to have though :P

He wants 4500 dollars, btw.

I'll buy it now at that price....PM me

Make sure it is actually an m3. Many people (including plenty of mechanics) wouldn't know an m3 if it fell on them. A badge at the back saying m3 does not an m3 make.

If it is indeed an m3, snap it up - at that price it's probably worth it even if the engine is stuffed. (but only if you have the cash to buy a new motor - HUGELY expensive, as in, at least the price of the car again or more depending on how many kms and how much work it needs).

I bet its a 316i with a //M badge...

Fixed.

Edited by Forrest

If it's an m3 it'll be the deal of the century even if the motor's rooted. I'd throw a v8 in it.

Do you have to wire the $4500 to a Nigerian bank account? If so... DO IT!

(Actually don't) <_<

If it's an m3 it'll be the deal of the century even if the motor's rooted. I'd throw a v8 in it.

A Chevy one.

Thanks so far for the info'.

I guess what I'm curious about is what I can generally expect from this car -- '87, perfect body, just over 100,000 klicks on it...

All of these things considered, is it worth it to worry about it being a 22 year old car? I'm not illusioned enough to think I won't have to spend money on maintenance and odd repairs -- in fact, I fully expect to have to do that, and am more than willing.

I don't know a lot about this type of car, but, I'v had it out a few times, and I know that I like it a lot, but, something still holds me back.

Jammy, if its a M3 it will look like this

Posted Image

if its a decent e30 325i/320i or even 318i, it will look like this

Posted Image

or if its standard it will look like this

Posted Image

i cant believe its a m3 at 4500 as they are worth around 25-45k....condition depending

Edited by Jamez

Nice comparison there James. It would be pref/l for the non-m3's though being 87.

Jammy - it is really hard to say what maintenance it will need. The thing is, if it IS a real m3, the owner is likely to have some idea of its worth, in which case there must be something very wrong with it. m3's go for $15-25k for tired ones, and $45-60,000 for good ones.

Take a look at Old Skool's thread about his 1987 m3 from japan and you'll see the sort of problems you may encounter.

If its a standard e30 with a m3 badge, then you need to compare it to others at the same price. At that price for a pre f/l, I'd be either wanting something very mint including mechanicals, or something in need of a little amount of tlc, but a bit special (like 325i manual with body kit).

BTW as Simon below states, this is all $NZ. As it appears you may be from Canada, may I suggest you have a talk to the guys over at maXBimmer.com as they are mostly based in Canada.

Guest Simon*

Jim/Jammy you haven't given us a lot of information.

From what I can gather:

- your friend (a mechanic) has a 1987 E30 M3

- it has 109,000km and is in very good condition

- he bought it in Japan and had it shipped somewhere

- you had your mechanic check it over

- he wants to sell it to you for $4,500 (insert country here) Dollars

- you drive a Golf CL and are not that impressed with the M3?

Pics would really help. It will be Left hand Drive presumably? It is registered and road legal for your roads?

Where are you?

$4500 in any currency would be somewhat of a bargin.. But i'd have to question if it really is an M3 at that price.

Even a run down example would fetch somewhere between 10-15k (NZD)

pics would also be nice :) and of the engine.. That will be the biggest giveaway if it not an s14 engine.

Laurence