Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

New Suspension for the E30

Hey Guys, im thinking my suspension ( currently jamex springs :rolleyes: ) as a whole could do with an upgrade?

But as im a noob an all, i'd rather find out from you what i should get...etc

I've heard good things about bilstein coilovers, although i'd probably never see any track time im probaly just looking at something that performs well on the road??

Suggestions, knowledge and experiences are all welcome!!

Cheers!!

Edited by Blackie

Account for new bushes and a decent wheel alignment, new bushes would be the first thing I would look at after shocks.

On a budget I'd hit up some firmer lowering springs (like the race series King Springs) and Bilstein inserts with polyurethane bushings all round and a uprated front and maybe rear sway bar. It'd be very very fun.

^ +1. I know from current experience :D

Good if your on a 'budget' ha

Currently I have Race Series Konis in the front, Bilstein Sports in the back, with B+G springs (essentially the same as H+R springs with the same 40/45mm drop as the Race Series Springs), Nolathane Bushes all round and a 325i front and rear sway bar with Nolathane mounts. It is a blast, good bang for your bucks.

The amount I spent on that ^ in total is only slightly more than what you would spend on coilovers alone.

Edited by Forrest

+1 I've done the same thing. H&R springs, custom valved Bilstiens, Powerflex urethane bushes all round.

Should have got coil overs and uprated sway bars, but is fine with stock 325i power. Still fine with the extra go, but now on very bumpy roads its the suspension holding me back, not the power.

Ok Cheers guys!

Sounds like bilstein sports all around and H&R springs are the go?

along with new bushings, wheel balance and allignment!

Thanks for looking up those shocks Pjay..

What'd the ride difference between the bilstein and munro?

Looking at the same thing with my e30.. How much do the nolathane bushes go for ? anyone got current prices?

Thanks

give Chris a call at suspensiontech 027 214 5325 for a quote

Dont buy Munroes what ever you do

give Chris a call at suspensiontech 027 214 5325 for a quote

X2. Chris is the man, he is honest and will give you the best options for your budget. I wish I had of talked to him before spending a cent on my suspension, could have saved me a few bob.

Dont buy Munroes what ever you do

X2, and stay away from KYB! If you want to save on the Billstein’s look at BOGE Turbo's, they are what are fitted to M-Tech E30's and are a very good shock for half the cost of Billstein’s. SAS in Manukau wholesale them.

Nolithane replacement Control arm, sway bar link and mount bushes transformed my old hack.

Last of all, save and do the whole job at once, makes things easier and you save having to do multiple wheel alignments.

I put KYB and King springs in my 325. Half the price of Bilsteins and H&R's but still drove brilliantly. Ive heard lots of people moan about KYB's but no-one did after having been in the car themselves.

How much where the KYB's? Did you use them all around ?

Edited by mybmw

Running Revalved Bilstiein\H&R sports with all IE urethane bushes, 21mm Front, 19mm Rear sway bar with camber\toe adjustment.

Would of gone coilovers also if had the cash at the time but happy enough with current setup.

I used to have KYB GR2's on std springs in my E30. They were ok but once i put Bilstein & H&R's in the handling difference was easily noticeable, should last longer and can be rebuilt also.

KYB probably be around about $500-600 mark id say

Ive also run KYB's before. As in TRD built by KYB.

If they're good enough for Toyota Racing Development, they're good enough for me.

By all means, KYB do make some good shocks, but like Billstein you pay for it, it’s their run of the mill stuff that is crap, like the ones you buy at Supercheap.

The “factory†replacement Monroe & KYB both cost more than the BOGE even though they are inferior.

For the record some of Bilsteins shocks are crap also.